Buying a saddle for a lease horse and other concerns

Trinket12

Visit site
I went to go meet Patch, and found out a bit more about him. He's and Arab TB cross, so has high withers and is quite sensitive with them. Apparently if they get pinched or he's uncomfortable then it can make him spook (which is fair enough!) and it has made him a little lame in the past. I wouldn't be able to use their current saddle as they use it for another horse. Which means buying a saddle (something I know nothing about!) and because of his wither issue, from my research so far, I'm not going to be able to find something that is too budget friendly.

Just from looking at some websites, price wise I am looking at around 500 pounds ($900 CAD) as I think I would need a saddle that is specific for high withers. I know that re-conditioned might be an option, but assume I would have to pay the saddle fitter and then the saddle (I haven't been able to find any prices for a re-conditioned saddle, there is a company I know off that some horsey friends use and have emailed the rep).

If I was buying the horse, then buying a saddle would not be an issue. But spending that amount of money on a horse that isn't mine, is a bit of a concern, mainly because if for some reason I have to send him back (or the owner wants him back) I would have a saddle that I couldn't use; though I could get lucky and find another horse who would fit the saddle!

The comment around how sensitive he is on his withers is also a concern, I am what I would call a confident novice. I can comfortably w/t/c and we have been doing canter poles in two point (no jumping, my current ride is 31!). But my balance can still be a bit iffy, Risky is very forgiving if I use his neck for balance or lean forward too much, but would Patch's sensitive withers cause him a problem (and subsequently me) if I loose my balance? I'm not overly worried about spooking, but the lame comment his owner made has worried me.

Any thoughts or advice?

blitznbobs

Visit site
Sounds like too many worries to me. A horse that is on lease can be taken back pretty much at any time so you’ll be left with a saddle that you can’t use. If you are that novicey then I wouldn’t go for a horse that is known to be spoooky ... you say your not worried about that well you should be tbh spooking is not always easy to sit and can very much distrot confidence . This doesn’t sound like a match made in heaven to me I’d wait for another one.

Trinket12

Visit site
Thanks Blitznbobs, maybe I should clarify about my spook comment. The last pony I was riding, before Risky would often have a ‘moment’ nothing dangerous or scary, she was a worrier and didn’t take to being a RS horse that well. I sat them out no problem, and if anything it helped with confidence because I was also able to get her to re focus and do some work.

But your point is well taken, even if if I’m capable of dealing with a spook and it doesn’t affect my confidence; I don’t really want to go back to the situation I had with Trinket. If she was good, it was a good lesson, if she was being a worrier my energy was spent on that as opposed to my riding. I don’t really want to go that path again. Never mind forking our $$$ for a saddle.

asmp

Visit site
Having just spent months trying to find the right second hand saddle for one of ours, it doesn't sound as though it's going to be easy or cheap for you. I would give it serious thought.

Chappie

Visit site
Have you tried Patch yet, OP? Did your trainer go with you, what do they think?
If I was the owner of Patch, I'd not want to loan him out unless I had a well fitting saddle to go with him, yes even if it meant paying out for a saddle I wouldn't use - I'd get the money together somehow for it or work with the loaner to find a solution.
It's just quite a lot to expect a fairly inexperienced (in things like sourcing a saddle) potential loaner to take on?
If the horse is really suitable for you (your trainer, having seen you ride, is the best to advise), perhaps they could help you get a saddle?
If I found a really suitable horse to loan, potentially going to be loaning for some time, I would be prepared to buy a well fitting saddle. If the owner took the horse back, I'd see if they would buy it from me, especially if it was for a horse which had specific needs like sensitive withers.
Definately speak with your trainer and the owners more before making a descion!

Winters100

Visit site
Honestly this doesn't sound like the right horse for you, and having an unsuitable ride is no fun at all. Plus you will have a big expense with the saddle, so just cancelling the arrangement after a short time won't make sense. I would not go ahead unless you can take time to try him many more times and really be convinced that this is the horse who you will have fun with. Always worth remembering that the cost of keeping an unsuitable horse is the same as the cost of keeping your perfect horse.

Palindrome

Visit site
If you decided to go for it, I think your most budget friendly option could a second hand thorowgood high wither (or perhaps a Wintec but they can be quite long in the panel depending on the model). They tend to keep their resale value second hand. If you are in Canada is it perhaps like in the US where you can take the horse to a feed store where they sell saddles and try them out?
I would be worried about the lameness and sentivity though.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If you were truly happy with this horse I don't think you would be on here worrying about a saddle - you would be out getting a saddle.

A lease horse usually means all the expenses come to you, and in the scale of vats, farriers, bedding, feed, lessons etc a second hand saddle at £500 is not out of the way. So, if you were smitten the saddler would be there already.

If you have reservations then I would pay heed to them.

I would maybe keep trying the horse if you are just not sure, or look for one where you are smitten. I would also have a basic vet check. It may save heartache down the line.

oldie48

Visit site
From the owners comments about sensitivity/lameness I suspect this horse is a bit more complicated than is ideal for a novice to loan and like others I would be concerned that if it didn't work out for you you would be left with a saddle which would not fit many other horses and would therefore have a poor resale value.

ihatework

Visit site
I once took on a loan horse that came naked. I was more than happy to purchase a saddle because the calibre of horse I was receiving was worth it.

In your case it sounds like the horse is someone’s crock they are passing on! I wouldn’t be spending out any more than the basics until you can ascertain if the horse is suitable for you.

So I’d pass up this horse unless it came with it’s well fitting kit, at least for an initial trial period.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
If I am honest this doesn't sound like the horse for you - I would be highly suspicious of the information given so far and wouldn't think (on paper at least), that a sensitive and potentially spooky Arab TB cross would be the right match for a confident novice. That is not to do you or your riding any injustice, just my two cents on the matter... I am an experienced happy hacker type and that isn't the sort of horse I would look for either! Then again, Chappie who has posted above has given what sounds like sage advice - if your trainer thinks that you and Patch are a good match after all then a saddle could be worth investigating, but you are at risk of losing money on it.

Equi

Visit site
I took on my friends horse as she didn’t have time/money for it and I knew taking him on I would need a saddle. She insisted his saddle was on because it was fitted to him as a 4yo. Said Horse was now 16 and about three times the size he was at 4yo! (He wasn’t ridden much so he had no issues thankfully)

Basically I spent hundreds on saddles and fitters because he was round as a barrel, short backed and no wither. A saddle would fit in all sense of the term, but then roll or slip. I simply couldn’t find a wide enough saddle that was sort enough for him but also long enough for my leg. I rode him bareback most of the time because i had so much trouble with saddles! Eventually I gave up and he went back because I couldn’t justify any more money on him and he began to show signs of ring bone or navicular (which if he had been able to get a good saddle he would have been ok for light work)

I think There is a lot easier horses out there and if you’re looking to lease you can afford to be picky and only take on that which suits you.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My friend bought her own saddle for her share horse she rides twice a week, horse had a jumping saddle she couldn't get along with so she got a fitter with a stock of second hand gp saddles I think it cost £600.

To be honest I would be more concerned about his sore withers sounds like his possibly had a badly fitted saddle previously and it's now made them sore, so in my view the horse should not be offered for loan as riding could make it worse I would want the horse checked by a vet and given the all clear, and if the owners were not willing to do this I would be walking away.

Trinket12

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the input. I haven't tried Patch yet, we're just getting rid of snow and the ground is still quite hard (owner only has an outside arena), we had planned to wait for a bit until the weather improves and then I can go try him with my coach there.

Everyone has good points on both sides, and I will consider those. I'm mainly concerned about buying the saddle because of the wither thing, and if it doesn't fit (I have read enough stories on here to know how many problems that can bring up!). The owner also needs time to bring him back into work, so there will be no rush decisions here.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
you could ask the owner what the current saddle is? That would help re. either sourcing another second hand or something similar.

I would be more concerned about the trouble these withers seem to cause, including lameness.

BOWS28

Visit site
Concerning that the horse is being out out on loan without a correctly fitted saddle... Even more concerning is the information the owner has already provided. IMHO, i'd walk away and keep looking. There's no point forking out for a saddle to fit a horse you don't own and could potentially not be the horse for you either. You'll only find out either way once you've bought the saddle and can actually ride the horse! There are plenty of horses out there to suit you with owners prepared to provide its own tack...

Merrymoles

Visit site
Your coach would be a good person to assess Patch for you. Listen to his/her advice carefully, tell them everything you have been told and make a decision on that basis. If Patch is not for you, they might be able to help you find something more suitable.

Trinket12

Visit site
I've been discussing this with my coach and she also feels that having to buy a saddle from the get go, isn't great. We're also not 100% sure he's going to be chunky enough for me, again I don't need to make any urgent decisions and have time to weigh up the pro's and con's. His owner isn't pushing him on me in anyway, and she wouldn't want me to take him unless I was 100% sure it was a match.

Chappie

Visit site
You sound like you are thinking this through properly OP, and it's great you have your instructor to advise you.
Maybe something that is already at your barn will come up for part lease or even lease? Word of mouth is often best way to find a suitable horse.
Good luck with your horse hunt and let us know how you are getting on!

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I am sorry to say this but I really do believe you are being sold/loaned a crock. the horse isn't sound by the owner's own admission, and also picking up on previous snippets you have posted about the horse, and if they were truly concerned about the horse's future they would be falling over backwards to ensure he went out on loan in at the very least with a well fitted saddle given his issues, or at least giving you pointers in how to achieve that very basic thing for the horse..

Truthfully do yourself a favour and dont waste anymore time on this poor horse, I feel sorry for him for sure, but I can see 6 months down the line your pockets will be empty and your heart broken. I am sure there are plenty of horse owners in your part of the world looking for good loan homes, be patient and start looking for one.

Trinket12

Visit site
I appreciate everyone's feedback and advice :) Whatever the outcome, I think this has been a learning experience, already I have found out more about saddles than I did before and horses with high withers!

If someone had said to me three years ago, I would be in a position to even consider having a horse full time, I would have laughed loud and long! So even if this doesn't pan out, I am still closer to my dream than I ever was before; and I learnt something in the process too!