buying a well known ex racehorse that has won a million

crabbymare

Visit site
Do people know you are looking for a horse and have x to spend? if so they are probably thinking along the lines of they have a horse sitting in a field doing nothing for whatever reason so why not price it around what you want to pay and offload it onto you. if you like this horse for what he is then why not talk to the owner and say it needs a lot of work doing which will eat a lot of your budget so you will offer y for it. I would not be worried so much about joints on ex racers as they normally do a lot more in straight lines which is not so bad for them. its coming into winter so if you are interested think of him as a horse rather than a famous horse and how suitable he is for what you want to do

ladyt25

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about the racing career. We took on a 19 yo ex racer as a companion. He was going to be PTS otherwise as the owner couldn't keep him and he had come back from some failed loans as he was "too lively" (the loaners had starved him and left him in a terrible state too - I imagine to try and make his less energetic!).

He was a lovely horse - a real character and a bit of a div in some ways but we did ride him a bit and my sister even did a showcross on him at one point. The only reason we didn't actually ride him more was because we didn't need to/have time (ironic really as now out of 3 horses we have only one is currently rideable so, if we still had the ex-racer he would be very useful!).

He was a Pt 2 Pt horse and had broken down racing resulting in his legs being pin fired and then he was re-raced but fell and I think they just then gave up. The lady who subsequently owned him competed him xc etc and hacked him out.

He was bombproof but he was a jogger and my did he have the most wonderful gallop! He never had any problems with his tendons when we owned him and he was 28 when he was PTS about 2 years ago due to old age/illness.

I think often ex-racers can have some of the best temperaments as they've been handled and in work from a young age. They are often some of the most bombproof as well from my experience. At the end of the day though, a horse is a horse and you either like him or you don't. However, £2,000 for a horse that's been dumped in a field for however long is quite a lot so I would negotiate on price if you did like him. Assuming he's a gelding, it doesn't matter what he's won racing, he can't pass his genes on so he's worth no more than any other horse out of work.

stormox

Visit site
I dont think hes been 'dumped in a field' for that long, as OP has ridden and tried him, and according to Racing Post he last raced early this year. I do think £2000 is rather expensive though, considering you can get a nice,young sound TB for about £1000 (or less).

Potato!

Visit site
He is being advertised on facebook today for 2.5k says he is schooling nicely with photos of him being schooled and jumped.

Dobermonkey

Visit site
Lovely looking boy. He was born same day as my dog :) came last in his last 2 races. Last raced 16th jan so has had a good holiday as opposed to dumped i would say. Maybe speak to his trainer for some more background on what he is like when hes fit? Nice little write up by his trainer about retiring him. Shame the aus retirement didnt pan out

Orangehorse

Visit site
A horse that has won £0 will also have been pampered and well looked after uptil the day they left the yard. Horses don't get treated differently based on how much they win. They may just get a bit more attention when it comes to press days etc. But day to day there will be no diference.

Well that is true, I know. But I was thinking along the lines that the owners should be grateful for the fun and happiness that the horse gave them and have some interest in what happens to it. Unsuccessful racehorses will get passed on sooner and maybe end up with a good second career or not.

I see that this horse's owner died, so the new owners won't have the same feelings towards it, they are seeing it as something they want to get rid of and not have the responsibility any more.

Pigeon

Visit site
I'm of the opinion that if he tried so hard in racing, he must be willing and have the heart of a lion. Admittedly I love thoroughbreds so I am biased. My lad is a middle aged ex-racer, and although he is a complicated soul, he has done more for my riding, and taken me further than I ever thought possible.

Bear in mind that if he's been sat in a field, he will be a very different beast when fit.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
I dont think hes been 'dumped in a field' for that long, as OP has ridden and tried him, and according to Racing Post he last raced early this year. I do think £2000 is rather expensive though, considering you can get a nice,young sound TB for about £1000 (or less).

You can. But as soon as they are clean limbed, handsome, (especially greys) and look like they can do RoR classes... price has shot up of late.

_GG_

Visit site
You can. But as soon as they are clean limbed, handsome, (especially greys) and look like they can do RoR classes... price has shot up of late.

Yep - retraining ex-racers has become a new trend and at the welfare end of the system, it's pretty clear that they are not all going to the people with enough experience to do it properly sadly.

OP - if you believe you are experienced enough and you like the horse, get him vetted if it makes you feel better and buy the horse in front of you, not the history of it or its name.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Forget his history, vet him and try him properly and make a decision if he fits your needs.

This. If he's stayed sound despite having raced, that's a plus - and any horse (ex racer or not) can break at some point. I'd be more interested in whether his conformation is good (particularly his feet), he seems fit for purpose when you try him and if he passes a five stage vetting (to do the job you want him to do).

P

j1ffy

Visit site
Have a look at nikkimariet's posts on here - her little TB by Galileo was another globe trotter, not a successful racehorse but he had planty of miles under his belt. He's doing incredibly well in his new dressage career!

£2000 does seem a lot though, perhaps you can negotiate them down if you are offering a good home...

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Generally the owner of a good horse is not likely to dump him in a field, he might be "enjoying his retirement"
If he has ended up in a bad home, perhaps you should let the racing owner or trainer know.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
this is exactly my concern, that just because he is famous the people trying to sell him are just trying to exploit the horse and make money out of a horse that should have had a good retirement instead of being sold on
I would be sup prised if he did settle into a normal life
I think you would be better to take a horse on loan over the winter while you decide what you want, what resources you have, time and financial commitment etc.
You sound rather inexperienced, in spite of your self assessment, hope that does not upset you, but a horse is a huge investment.

stormox

Visit site
Generally the owner of a good horse is not likely to dump him in a field, he might be "enjoying his retirement"
If he has ended up in a bad home, perhaps you should let the racing owner or trainer know.

Sadly the owner died, and it doesnt sound like a bad home,he is being schooled etc for sale hopefully someone nice (like OP) will buy him...

JosieB

Visit site
Considering his trainer thought so highly of him you would think someone would contact him and see if he could find him a decent home.............. which is what he deserves

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Well that is true, I know. But I was thinking along the lines that the owners should be grateful for the fun and happiness that the horse gave them and have some interest in what happens to it. Unsuccessful racehorses will get passed on sooner and maybe end up with a good second career or not.

I see that this horse's owner died, so the new owners won't have the same feelings towards it, they are seeing it as something they want to get rid of and not have the responsibility any more.

That is one assumption, but may not be correct. The owner who died may have chosen their execurors caefully. My will passes my horses on to a proper person with a small legacy.

If they pass the horse on they may want to be sure that the new owner values it, and is not just looking for a cheap horse. To be honest, I would rather the horse went to a well heeled owner rther than one whose main concern was its price. Lot of people are proud to own a well known horse.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Considering his trainer thought so highly of him you would think someone would contact him and see if he could find him a decent home.............. which is what he deserves

There is nothing to say that OP will not offer him a decent home!
Though she seems somewhat unsuitable, if I may be critical, BUT there is nothing to say they will sell to the first person who wants him.
We don't know that the trainer is not looking for a home, but the way these things work is that someone asks the trainer if he knows of anything suitable.

Last edited:

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Hi I have been offered a stunning well known flat racehorse who is 10/12 yrs
which should of just gone into retirement

but ended up dumped in a field
he is now for sale for £2000

had a sit on him & felt nice, still needs a fair bit of schooling

would he be worth buying for hacking riding club/ dressage/ showing
or will his joints be too knackered
they will not drop the price

I am not sure, OP, has someone phoned you up out of the blue and offered to sell you this horse, or did you see it was available and went along to try it......... and now you want to ask on a forum if it is suitable!!!!

dj9ao

Visit site
I have managed to negotiate with the seller a price of £1600 to a permanent home- the seller has agreed they want this for the horse too- I explained I will have to spend quite a bit of money on rehab for this horse

should I get a 2 star or 5 star vetting for him?

spacefaer

Visit site
I have managed to negotiate with the seller a price of £1600 to a permanent home- the seller has agreed they want this for the horse too- I explained I will have to spend quite a bit of money on rehab for this horse

should I get a 2 star or 5 star vetting for him?

Neither - they are 2 STAGE and 5 STAGE vettings, as they are done in 2 or 5 stages.

2 stage isn't worth much - doesn't even cover flexion tests. 5 stage is not significantly more money but gets a better overview of the horse's soundness on the day

stormox

Visit site
A lot of vets dont think flexion tests are any good- and its something you could do yourself. If it was me buying the horse I would examine him very carefully all over,especially tendons, lunge soft/hard ground, do flexion test if you want, lunge hard for wind, talk to trainer and see if he had any problems, and just get vet to check eyes and heart.
Things like kissing spines dont show up in a vetting anyway.

Luci07

Visit site
A lot of vets dont think flexion tests are any good- and its something you could do yourself. If it was me buying the horse I would examine him very carefully all over,especially tendons, lunge soft/hard ground, do flexion test if you want, lunge hard for wind, talk to trainer and see if he had any problems, and just get vet to check eyes and heart.
Things like kissing spines dont show up in a vetting anyway.

That only works if you really know what you are doing. Most people are better off paying for a vetting. I certainly did! And as for kissing spines, no it won't show in a vetting. However a friend who recently had a horse vetted, had the horses back x rayed as her vet thought it was sore so added that in then and there (horses back was fine).

[59668]

Visit site
Neither - they are 2 STAGE and 5 STAGE vettings, as they are done in 2 or 5 stages.

2 stage isn't worth much - doesn't even cover flexion tests. 5 stage is not significantly more money but gets a better overview of the horse's soundness on the day

Not true. 2 stage vettings include flexion