Buying a yougster

Halfpass

Visit site
Went to see my horse that is on trial to be sold yesterday and he is doing so well. The girl is so pleased with him. Trial ends in 2 weeks and it does seem like she will go ahead with the purchase. So I have started to look at a new horse for me, was supposed to look at one today but the owner rang to say that she has got some personal probs and put me off till next week. Been having another look today and i'm beginning to think about buying a very young horse as I think that this is the only way I will manage to get what I want. I think I'm looking along the lines of a warmblood as I want to do dressage and SJ and a 3 year old for me is just way over budget, however looking at foals and yearlings they seem to be more in my price range. I know it means a few years of no riding but it is really important for me to get the right horse this time. I have experience with youngsters but not foals and yearlings so what are the pros and cons of going down this route? And does anyone know of any good places to buy.

delphipuppy

www.treliverstud.co.uk
Advantages are as you say cost, the chance to get to know the youngster before riding it, being able to bring it up the way you want, teaching it all the basics yourself so you don't have to undo other peoples errors,also you will know its history re: accidents etc if any.

Disadvantages, can only think of one and that is you will have to wait several years till it is old enough to ride

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
I always buy weanlings as it is the only way I can afford the type of horse that I want.

The pros are:

You can get a lot more horse for your money
You don't inherit someone else's problem
You do get a better bond
You can compete (eventually!) in young horse classes

The cons are:

It can be a bit of a risk, no matter how good the bloodlines, they are not a guarantee
No riding for three years
Some babies can take a lot of handling
Lots of inhand showing (hate it - but necessary evil!)

tigers_eye

Visit site
I think one other consideration is where it is kept. I firmly believe youngsters need to be brought up in a herd situation, preferably with mostly youngsters, and not over-handled, so a DIY ard where they have to come in to seperate stables at night isn't ideal in my book, but that's just my opinion...

Ginn

Visit site
I freely admit to being a "Novice". I have been riding, loaning and sharing horses for the past 8 years including bringing on young green horses, retraining a couple of ex racers and have helped break horses in the past. I am however not an expert, experienced and have thrown myself in at the deep end a fair bit!

However, when I was offered Tilly my gut said yes and I went for it and it was the best decision I have ever made! I have a brilliant support team around me from my instructor who comes up every fortnight to make sure Im on the right tracks, to my YO who has had horses all her life and has always had hers from yearlings. I now have a fantastically well mannered 2 year old who I know inside out and is the easiest, nicest horse I have ever delt with. I trust her 100% and she will do pretty much anything for me!

If its what you want then provided you are prepared to ask for help when needed go for it! Many people will critise me and call me mad but I have no regrets and everyone who knows me and my horse say that we are made for each other!

Parkranger

Visit site
Go for an ex irish racehorse - tend to have more bone than some of the UK bred ones and seem to be a bit more chilled......you'll get one alot cheaper than a warmblood too!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I bought Chancer at 13 months and took him home at 16 months.

Luckily for me he has been a nearly perfect youngster, he is so laid back. He lives out as much as possible with my old clydie and is more than happy to come in at night in his stable. He did live in a herd until a yearling but was handled every day.

I have had a huge amount of fun, learnt so much since having him. I don't miss the riding, I still have Cairo to plod around on and Chancer takes up a lot of my time with his inhand work.

He is now 28 months and I plan to start backing him in the spring but he already is wearing tack and long reining or ponying out off Cairo with no fuss.

I am on assisted DIY in a very small yard and have a trainer come out every couple of works to monitor and progress both of us.

I was worried, but now am so pleased I decided to go for it after years of owing horses.

That said, I have a gypsy cob and they are a very easy breed and are ideal as a first baby. I would have had second thoughts about a TB as my first youngster, having had so much "fun" with my warmblood that I bought at 5 years.