Buying a young horse- what to ask?

SydneyB

Visit site
Wow, it's the first time I've been on here for ages!! I've really thrown myself into work and have been promoted, so have more cash to spend. I've been looking at horses and have come across a very nice 3 year old who I really like.

I've never bought a young horse before, so I'm not quite sure what to ask? Any tips, advice etc apreciated!

Thank you!

KatB

Visit site
I think its simpler than buying a grown up because less has been done with them, so less to go wrong!! All depends whether its been backed broken etc, and how far into its education it is. I brought my boy as a just backed 3yr old, so got to sit on him, asked whether seen traffic, whether been long reined, loose schooled etc. Also things like has it been of the yard, so whether ever been in a trailer/box. Just general things to see how much it has seen, so how far you've got to go to get it where you want it!!

Good luck!!
smile.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
ask breeding
if it's innoculated up to date
seen traffic
done any in hand shows
how sociable with other horses
lunged
longreined
backed (if so, how did it cope?)
any illnesses/injuries
has it travelled
what it's dam and sire have done and their personalities

basically what you'd ask for any horse, except the ridden part.

if i think of anything more i will post them.

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
before you buy a youngster ask yourself wether you have the knowledge and wether you can handle a youngster properly i agree with kate in one way but not in others
ayoungster and a noivice dont mix

remeber what you teach they learn and it stays with them good or bad they learn from us the human ---

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Hear hear. Too many horses and ponies are ruined by people with no experience getting out of their depth too quickly. If you haven't brought a youngster on successfully before think long and hard about getting one! I think leave breeding and breaking to the real experts. If we did, there might be less spoiled horses and less horses to spoil. However, get all the advice you can and get it vetted if you decide you really do want to go ahead. They are a lot of hard work for a long time..... (speaking from experience!)

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I agree with you there. What i will say though is everyone has to start somewhere and if you feel it's what you want to do then spend time looking for soemthing quiet and good natured and make sure you have an experienced person to help you.

SJ_06

Visit site
hmmm im not sure, make sure your definatley ready.

i have just upgraded to a new horse-a 4 yr old novice ive got to 'bring on' i think im ready as ive had quite a lot of yrs experiance, and have showjumped up to 1.15 level bsja. hes not really that green either to be honest he acts more like 10!

anyway i think having a young horse is really rewarding - makes everything such an archievement! im taking it really slowly and carefully atm with him,but i cant wait to compete him at his first little show! hehe.

SydneyB

Visit site
Hey. Thanks for the advice- I've been riding my instructors young one and doing really well. I'll have tonnes of help and advice and I truely feel that I'm ready.

Syd