Buying an inutero foal

Slaneyrose

New User
Visit site
I have a question, If you pay in full for a foal in utero, who pays for vets bills if any, from birth till you can collect it and what happens if it dies? The agreement was pay in full before birth, get foal at 6 months, vet bills are my responsibility if foal gets sick and if the foal dies, full refund. NOW, Ive recieved the contract and it says full refund IF FOAL DIES AT BIRTH. that doesnt seem right to me because if the insurance includes death, I have to pay an excess dont I?

be positive

Visit site
NOW, Ive recieved the contract and it says full refund IF FOAL DIES AT BIRTH. that doesnt seem right to me because if the insurance includes death, I have to pay an excess dont I?
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/buying-an-inutero-foal.771571/#xvCWJ3mkfzGXWs3H.99

This doesn't make sense to me, from my understanding the stud is offering a live foal deal, if it dies at birth or before you get a full refund, if it is fine you then need to insure it from the earliest possible time to cover any losses, that can include vets bills for illness or injury, yes there would be an excess to pay but surely you insure for a little more than you have already paid and if the worst happens you lose nothing apart from the premiums.
Your risk is minor compared with the risk the stud is taking, they could lose the mare and have to rear an orphan foal, breeding is a bit of a lottery at the best of times if you buy a lottery ticket you are not guaranteed a win, the foal may not be 'perfect' that is all part of the risk you have taken by buying a dream.

popsdosh

Visit site
Most insurance on breeding foals only covers stud fees ,as far as im aware no insurance company will cover perceived value of the foal . You can insure from 30 days of age as a separate entity however you will find it is not cheap as the young foals are high risk to the companies. Whoever the stud is their contract is pretty normal in that once the foal is 24hrs old you take the risk in it. They are taking the risk up till then. Its unlikely on their part they will have insured the pregnancy.

Last edited: