Buying dilema

mustardsmum

Visit site
So I need some help from you peeps in the lovely tack room. I have a horse buying dilemma. I have a friend selling a horse who fits exactly what I am looking for. Please bear in mind, I have been searching for a year, had a couple of vet failures and desperately want to find my next horse who will be with me forever. As of yet I haven’t tried him, but he sounds perfect. Except …. He’s a big chunky lad. He’s a coloured but not nicely marked, just sort of splotchy. He’s moderately heavily feathered. And is a bit if a lump of a cob. He’s def no oil painting bless him. - eve his owner says this! I have always had lovely looking ponies - Connie’s and Arab crosses who I’ve shown and honestly they melt my heart. By by all accounts he is a cracking ride but the saying “‘handsome is as Hansome does” was written for him. I hate my shallowness - but what would you do? Keep looking for the perfect temperament with the looks, or compromise on the looks and have the slightly less attractive horse (nay, more than slightly …) who ticks every box bar the aesthetic one…. It’s weird - I am not someone who judges people in this way at all, i don’t notice what people look like - I just like them or not. But when it comes to horses I absolutely love a dark eye and sculpted face - not a heavy head and pink nose ? Would I grow to love him?? Or am I just being utterly shallow… what would you do?!? I do have a sense of what I should do…..

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I did have to laugh at this....I think we all have our idea of what our horse should look like. I have 2...one is a chunky beast of a cob and the other is a very pretty sooty buckskin Connemara x Cob.
The Connie x is almost the opposite of what I like aesthetically, he's got a real pony head despite being 16.1 and is a bit of an odd shape all over but his temperament is to die for.
Could you spend some time with him and see how you feel?? It's strange how the right horse can find us, even if they aren't what we wanted on paper. Does he do the job you want?? Is he the right size for you?? Give him a try, cobs are awesome ❤️❤️❤️

Lois Lame

Visit site
I've always had a similar issue, not with 'looks' so much as conformation. I have a thing about liking horses who I think are well put together.

But, what I really need (according to my partner) is an ugly horse with all the features that will make me confident. He is right. I'm enjoying horselessness right now (especially in this rotton weather) but if the right ugly horse comes my way one of these days/months/years, I might buy him.

J&S

Visit site
Personally I think you can come to love them as you get to know them, and their characters come out. My companion pony was described as "no show pony" but now, 3 years down the line I think she is really pretty!

On the other hand, an instructor friend of mine, when talking about a particularly good looking mare we knew, came out with the following: hmm, good looking mare, but like good looking men, a load of trouble!

ponynutz

Visit site
Personally I think you can come to love them as you get to know them.

Exactly this.
If he was something random you'd found I'd be tempted to say see if you can keep your options open but as he's a friend's I'm very very tempted to say go for it! You can trust your friend to be honest and may even know the horse in person which is an excellent situation to be in for the market these days.

Juniper Jack

Visit site
What do you sense you should do?

How well do you know him? Have you ridden him? Have you done anything with him?
When you're up on him all you will see is his neck and mane and ears.

Me, I would go for him. But I'm old and well past the age of thinking that looks are everything. Does his conformation/appearance affect his way of going?

For much of my riding life my dream horse was a 17hh dapple-grey Irish Hunter/Irish Sport Horse. When I finally got a horse, he was a dun QH. Nothing like my ideal in looks.
But he was definitely a dream come true.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
An old saying was only buy a horse who's head your happy to see over the stable door in the morning!!

It is a difficult one!! I have a friend who's currently selling a horse. He's not my type at all but is many peoples type. He is beautifully marked but has an ugly head but when he is tacked up and doing his thing he is stunning. Nowadays I would always go for ease not looks!!

Peglo

Visit site
I’ve always had pretty mares (or I think they are pretty) so I think I might struggle too. My friends got a big cob X thing and his heads enormous and not my thing at all. Another friend of mine thinks he’s gorgeous.

I think you should go see him and see what you think of his temperament. A good temperament can make a horse seem much more attractive.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Personally I think you can come to love them as you get to know them, and their characters come out.
Agree with this. If he meets all the other criteria I'd go and try him, if you're bowled over by the ridden experience then you may find the looks thing becomes less important anyway.

I have had several that have become beautiful to me as I've got to know them.

Auslander

Visit site
It's not shallow to have a type!

I like big quality warmbloods and enjoy the feeling of powerful, expressive, elastic paces. I have nothing against any of the breeds/types that don't do it for me, but I wouldn't actively choose to try one. Not saying for a minute that you can't get power and athleticism from other types, but they don't put that power out in a way that makes my insides flutter.

I'm increasingly drawn to Spanish horses, but would need to ride a few to be able to tell if I like how their bodies work before I deviated from my warmblood path. Ironically, my own horse, wonderful as he is, isn't really my cup of tea ridden. I love doing the twiddly stuff on him, but don't love how he moves/feels.

So - try the cob, but don't feel bad if he isn't for you

BBP

Visit site
My mum always says ‘it costs as much to feed a pretty one as it does an ugly one’. Implying you may as well get a pretty one. But There are a lot of horses on here and on Facebook that are clearly dearly loved who are perhaps not the best put together or prettiest, but who are out and about being far more useful than my charismatic black Spanish horse and people are undoubtedly having more fun with them. BBP himself is not a particularly ‘pretty’ horse, and on first meeting him I was disappointed in how small his eye was (having had welshes, Arabs and Connemaras with huge eyes). But to me now, he is the most beautiful horse on earth, and those eyes that I thought were too small I now see as so full of intelligence and fire and joy for life.

I was also slightly deterred by the pale eyes of my connemara youngster, I found it a bit creepy, but now again I think his eyes are beautiful. And I have never been a fan of chunky connemara types, I don’t find them aesthetically pleasing usually (I like fine twiggy little horses ?) and yet judging by his site this one will be right chunk. But having spent years with the firey Spaniard in fear of my life half the time, I decided a nice person who would actually go out and do things with me was the priority. And again his type is growing on me.

I was also taught a lesson when trekking in the Andes where out of a herd of lovely horses I was given one of the ugliest horses I’ve seen. Massive Roman nose, small eye, missing half an ear. My heart sank a bit, it shouldn’t have mattered at all but I guess in a shallow way I wanted great photo memories of me and my beautiful steed. Well, we hit the climb to the mountain pass at 4000m and all the other humans and horses were stopping regularly and gasping for air. Not this guy, he forged his way past everyone and blazed the trail up the mountain, he climbed near vertical cliffs, he was fearless across big rivers, he sat on his butt and slid down the most ridiculous descents and I had a truly wonderful ride. The photos of him bring back really fond memories. Turned out he was the head guides favourite guide horse and I was honoured to be given the ride on him.

I’d say go see him. Judge him by his personality and actions and then decide if you could learn to love how he looks.

eahotson

Visit site
So I need some help from you peeps in the lovely tack room. I have a horse buying dilemma. I have a friend selling a horse who fits exactly what I am looking for. Please bear in mind, I have been searching for a year, had a couple of vet failures and desperately want to find my next horse who will be with me forever. As of yet I haven’t tried him, but he sounds perfect. Except …. He’s a big chunky lad. He’s a coloured but not nicely marked, just sort of splotchy. He’s moderately heavily feathered. And is a bit if a lump of a cob. He’s def no oil painting bless him. - eve his owner says this! I have always had lovely looking ponies - Connie’s and Arab crosses who I’ve shown and honestly they melt my heart. By by all accounts he is a cracking ride but the saying “‘handsome is as Hansome does” was written for him. I hate my shallowness - but what would you do? Keep looking for the perfect temperament with the looks, or compromise on the looks and have the slightly less attractive horse (nay, more than slightly …) who ticks every box bar the aesthetic one…. It’s weird - I am not someone who judges people in this way at all, i don’t notice what people look like - I just like them or not. But when it comes to horses I absolutely love a dark eye and sculpted face - not a heavy head and pink nose ? Would I grow to love him?? Or am I just being utterly shallow… what would you do?!? I do have a sense of what I should do…..
Go and try him.I was once talked into riding this common (very) little cob.It was very much against my better judgement.I LOVED him.He was one of my favourite rides.

eahotson

Visit site
My mum always says ‘it costs as much to feed a pretty one as it does an ugly one’. Implying you may as well get a pretty one. But There are a lot of horses on here and on Facebook that are clearly dearly loved who are perhaps not the best put together or prettiest, but who are out and about being far more useful than my charismatic black Spanish horse and people are undoubtedly having more fun with them. BBP himself is not a particularly ‘pretty’ horse, and on first meeting him I was disappointed in how small his eye was (having had welshes, Arabs and Connemaras with huge eyes). But to me now, he is the most beautiful horse on earth, and those eyes that I thought were too small I now see as so full of intelligence and fire and joy for life.

I was also slightly deterred by the pale eyes of my connemara youngster, I found it a bit creepy, but now again I think his eyes are beautiful. And I have never been a fan of chunky connemara types, I don’t find them aesthetically pleasing usually (I like fine twiggy little horses ?) and yet judging by his site this one will be right chunk. But having spent years with the firey Spaniard in fear of my life half the time, I decided a nice person who would actually go out and do things with me was the priority. And again his type is growing on me.

I was also taught a lesson when trekking in the Andes where out of a herd of lovely horses I was given one of the ugliest horses I’ve seen. Massive Roman nose, small eye, missing half an ear. My heart sank a bit, it shouldn’t have mattered at all but I guess in a shallow way I wanted great photo memories of me and my beautiful steed. Well, we hit the climb to the mountain pass at 4000m and all the other humans and horses were stopping regularly and gasping for air. Not this guy, he forged his way past everyone and blazed the trail up the mountain, he climbed near vertical cliffs, he was fearless across big rivers, he sat on his butt and slid down the most ridiculous descents and I had a truly wonderful ride. The photos of him bring back really fond memories. Turned out he was the head guides favourite guide horse and I was honoured to be given the ride on him.

I’d say go see him. Judge him by his personality and actions and then decide if you could learn to love how he looks.
Agree 100%

Lady Tinseltime

Visit site
Would he tidy up with some clippers If he has enough substance could he be turned into a smart show cob type. One of the top producers of cobs in this country has horses that come off the lorry from Ireland looking rubbish. If his conformation is reasonable you might be surprised what a tidy up can do

Petalpoos

Visit site
I wouldn’t. All my horses have been beautiful and I derived much pleasure over the years from simply looking at them and admiring them as works of art. If you do the same, then I suggest you keep looking. You are not being shallow, if looking at your beautiful horse is part of your enjoyment then don’t give it up and wait for the right one.

Plus (gets ready to duck), clean legged horses are much easier IMO to look after than all the issues that come with feathers,

Spiritedly

Visit site
What do you want to do with the horse you buy? If you want to show then he's probably not for you but if you want to hack and maybe do some fun rides and riding club type bits then he sounds worth a go. At least have a ride as you may even find when you get on you don't like his paces.
I have a mare who is no oil painting and moves like a moose but she is the safest horse in traffic you could meet, I've ridden her round the fields bareback and felt totally safe. She has had disabled people on her and total novices and behaved impeccably but will also step up the fun level for an experienced rider.
She's getting older and is now semi retired so a few years ago I bought another horse to do showing, dressage and jumping with, he has the stunning looks and paces to die for. He's also a complete nutter! He's a nightmare to hack alone and you can't relax for a minute on him as he'll buck and spook.
Unless you're looking to show I'd pick temperament over looks everytime.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's definitely worth going to see and try him.

Cobs can be trimmed up to look smart, but there is no shame in deciding after trying that he really isn't your sort. Without seeing and trying, you won't be sure.

I only have horses here that I like the look of, but I have rather broad tastes.

My cob of a lifetime looked dreadful when I viewed him, with poor muscle, full feather and a hog growing out. I was sold on him as soon as I sat on him, and with correct work and trimming he became quite the stunner.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I agree that it's not shallow to like a certain kind of horse but equally i am amazed at how quickly your eye can adjust to something you didn't like originally, if the horse is great in other ways.
i don't think i've had many that i thought were really nice looking from the off. Millie was a right ugly duckling who turned into a swan. I didn't like Kira's white scleras at all but I am besotted with her now. My WB has the same eyes but again I think she's gorgeous now I'm used to them. My homebred has a right old fashioned plain face but is truly the apple of my eye! I think the best looking of them all was the ex racer who was v pretty but terminally broken :rolleyes:

ETA. you can't change the head that pops over the stable door (though you can grow fond of it). but you can really enhance a horse's looks when ridden by choosing the right style of bridle and fitting it nicely ;) Revealing my own shallowness, i am hoping my loan WB will be able to graduate from a drop noseband soon because a nice white piped cavesson will make his face look much nicer! :p

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
Sxcept …. He’s a big chunky lad. He’s a coloured but not nicely marked, just sort of splotchy. He’s moderately heavily feathered. And is a bit if a lump of a cob. He’s def no oil painting bless him. - eve his owner says this! I have always had lovely looking ponies - Connie’s and Arab crosses who I’ve shown and honestly they melt my heart. By by all accounts he is a cracking ride but the saying “‘handsome is as Hansome does” was written for him. I hate my shallowness - but what would you do?…..

I was exactly the same buying my horse and nearly all my previous horses have been stunning looking and bright bays.

I totally didn't want a coloured or a grey, too much work involved and I just don't like light coloured horses (for myself), if I'm spending a load of money and giving something a forever home I would want what I want and not be drawn in to others preferences.

I like friends grey horses but if its a horse for me I prefer a solid colour and I like something that has nice looks, I wouldn't want anything too clunky or with a big head, nasty eye or heavy legs. My friends says "who cares, if it does what it says on the tin", but for me that is not what I want, in the same way you wouldn't want to drive say a bright yellow mini or walk in a pair of crocs! :D

I've always had the classic middleweight type of horse, warmbloods and ISH types. These are what I like and that's that. Character and behaviour might be better than looks but for me they are equal. Maybe that's why I have ended up with someone's cast off :( (who I love dearly but is practically a write off I think).

southerncomfort

Visit site
Personally, looks are secondary to whether the horse can do the job I want it to do and if I like the horse as a 'person'.

Their is a lot to be said in this market for buying a horse you are familiar with and know the history of.

Go and have a sit on him. As others have said, if you like him and think he'd be a good fit, their is much you can do to smarten him up a bit.

Leandy

Visit site
It doesn't sound as though you have tried him. I don't really understand how he can tick all your boxes when you say he isn't your type but presumably you mean he is capable of doing everything you want to do to the standard you want to do it? If that is the case then go and try him and meet him and get to know him and then see how you feel then. Just because others say he is a cracking ride doesn't mean he will suit you. He may or he may not. He will either grow on you or he won't. Do have a good look at his basic conformation though because good conformation is about more than random good looks, its about a good sound structure that will stand the test of time and work.

Tarragon

Visit site
I would say that I like most horses, and can see the noble beast in some of the ugliest heads BUT I really don't like horses with pink noses and pink piggy skin under their docks! Horses with comical moustaches come a close second, and too much feather third. So, I think I would give this one a miss!
However, love is blind, so if you go and see him and swoon over all his other good points, then go for it.

CMcC

Visit site

This is the most beautiful story.

OP read this and go and try the ugly horse!

nagblagger

Visit site
[QUOTE="silv, post:Each to their own, personally I wouldn't even go and look at something that I didn't find attractive and up to show standard. But that"s just my preference. Even if I was not going to show it.[/QUOTE]

I'm the opposite...i love the ugly ones...that's why there is something for everyone in the equine world...