Buying eggs and raising chicks

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Please don't shoot me but I'm missing animal fixes and have wanted a few chickens for ages. Now that we are stuck at home and my boys need something to keep them busy. What equipment would we require and at what cost please? I am thinking of buying eggs and raising our own chicks. Any advice appreciated.

P.S This is Michen's fault, I saw her pics!

ihatework

Visit site
This response is from a complete non-expert who has been using google a lot and currently is at Day 11 of trying to hatch chicks!

You need an incubator. I suppose in general the more expensive the better. I got a cheapo one off Amazon so that might be my main failing.

Set the incubator up well in advance of putting eggs in. It takes a while to get a stable temperature and humidity.

Worth getting an extra temp & humidity gauge - especially if you are buying a cheap incubator ?

Eggs need to be turned, 5 times a day(or automated if you buy a fancy one)

You do this thing called candling at various intervals which is essentially shining a light in to see if eggs developing. Lots of google ideas for hone made ones. I’ve used an LED candle lightbulb, cardboard box and bog roll tube!

Generally candle at 7, 10, 14, 18 days but depends which website you look at. Discard eggs that aren’t developing.

Then pray you get something and hopefully not to many cockerels ?

Michen

Visit site
I’m going to add that I have had 8 eggs out of 10 hatch and didn’t turn them at all, thought the machine was doing it but it turns out it wasn’t.

I think the other two eggs still have a chance as apparently they were later, I’ll be super chuffed if I get 100% hatch rate!

Bigger two are a week older.

11CB9126-2C59-4B58-8A74-91F397CEC090.jpeg

rara007

Visit site
If you have a phone with a flash you can use that to candle :) You don’t ‘need’ to do it but it helps weed out any that might go rotten and is exciting to do :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
I use my phone to candle. Hatching is easy really. Brinsea are always good incubators. Dont mess with the eggs too much is the main thing, and when they start hatching leave the incy alone till they are all out. I don't ever do that, but you should! And have a plan for the boys before you put eggs in. You could end up with all boys. so either be comfortable culling yourself or have a friend who can.

I'm just on the look out for something that catches my eye breed wise and I'll be hatching. We've got a huge coop and run at the yard so I'm thinking brahmas or something enormous that I cant have at home in a little house garden!

rara007

Visit site
Cochins LW...? I could sort some eggs of them I should think- laying dependant! :) My chicks are Brahma bantams as are my Broodies but sister has Cochins for if you want 4-5kg hens and even bigger males with max hair!585FB4AE-37B7-4364-9A91-7537AD8C3B3D.jpegECDE66A6-38C9-4A9F-8938-585E5FDFF4C3.jpegD406E94B-4709-405A-B764-014C64F9E0BE.jpeg

rara007

Visit site
Cochins would suit PF! They barely move compared to the light breeds :p They’re like the HW cobs of the chicken world. You get them in buff :)

rara007

Visit site
About normal medium-large egg sized but they’re not great layers year round. They could have an actual useful not just fluffy layer friend :p

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
I used to breed rare breed chickens. Please only do this if you are prepared to cull the boys that you hatch. There is no safe future for male chickens and, unless you have understanding or distant neighbours, you will get complaints. More than one male chicken means fighting and they can be quite aggressive towards humans too. Animal Rescue places that take in the boys are few and far between and rehoming via social media normally means that the boys go to be eaten anyway (or worse for fighting/bait).

That aside, chickens are a really rewarding hobby and raising chicks is very educational for children. I miss my girls, one day I will have them again.

QuantockHills

Visit site
Please don't shoot me but I'm missing animal fixes and have wanted a few chickens for ages. Now that we are stuck at home and my boys need something to keep them busy. What equipment would we require and at what cost please? I am thinking of buying eggs and raising our own chicks. Any advice appreciated.

P.S This is Michen's fault, I saw her pics!

I started with 6 ex-batteries chickens and now have 28! They are very time wasting and extremely entertaining.... but as others have said... if you're going to 'grow your own', you must expect more males than females and have a plan for what to do with them.... good luck!

Nudibranch

Visit site
All my cochin flock are hatched from eggs. They're great, and hatching is fairly straightforward. I sell a few of the best cockerels as they're a rare breed in nice colours, but we eat the rest. So you do need to be prepared to cull.

D66

Visit site
We did once buy 3 day old chicks, females and inoculated, much less hassle than hatching. There is a lot of faff looking after the chicks until they are laying, OH did all the feeding and cleaning, but they are cute.
I dont know if you can get 3 day olds atm.

Leo Walker

Visit site

Peregrine Falcon

Visit site
There is a poultry breeder local to me. I am so tempted but need to make sure we would have adequate space for them first and check planning. At what age can you tell the sex?

Clodagh

Visit site
Some breeds you can sex at hatching.
I really would buy day olds, so much cheaper and easier!
On my local poultry fb page there are a couple of people selling sexed hybrid chicks, have a look for your equivalent?

Last edited:

paddi22

Visit site
we hatch chicks the odd time and we've never bought any equipment or done calling etc. we just pop them under a broody hen and see what comes out. you do have to be prepared for the occasion when you hatch 6 roosters (as we did once) !

Leo Walker

Visit site
Some breeds you can sex at hatching.
I really would buy day olds, so much cheaper and easier!
On my local poultry fb page there are a couple of people selling sexed hubs chicks, have a look for your equivalent?

I love hatching. Its amazing. When they hatch I always want to shout "life, I've created LIFE!!" But then I probably need to get out more.

Clodagh

Visit site
I love hatching. Its amazing. When they hatch I always want to shout "life, I've created LIFE!!" But then I probably need to get out more.

Don't get me wrong, I love it too - and in fact can't eat eggs any more - but for a first timer who just wants a try at raising chicks and doesn't want to cull day old girls have got to be eaiser.
I culled 12 cockerel chicks yesterday and I really hate it. They are feeding the magpies in the Larsens so not going to waste but I always feel who am I to decide who lives and who dies?

Peregrine Falcon

Visit site
Thanks Clodagh. Not sure I could cull, but had a look at some of the methods. Definitely couldn't use scissors!

I'm going to measure the garden tomorrow.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
We have 6 chicks all laid and sat on by mum at the yard. They are so gorgeous it made me go all poultry broody so I cleared my own chicken run today and am going to get some more bantams. I have a huge Solway plastic hen house which hasn’t been used for 5 years and I’m quite excited about it all.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I love it too - and in fact can't eat eggs any more - but for a first timer who just wants a try at raising chicks and doesn't want to cull day old girls have got to be eaiser.
I culled 12 cockerel chicks yesterday and I really hate it. They are feeding the magpies in the Larsens so not going to waste but I always feel who am I to decide who lives and who dies?

I got like that about eggs last year, then gave myself a talking to. I don't have a cockerel, so they were never going to be hens. I just got myself in a bit of a tizzy about it all.

I've managed to rehome nearly all my cockerels, so I've been very lucky. I'm usually hatching weird and wonderful things so there's a call for them. If not I've got a friend who can cull for me.

Clodagh

Visit site
Thanks Clodagh. Not sure I could cull, but had a look at some of the methods. Definitely couldn't use scissors!

I'm going to measure the garden tomorrow.

I have Mr Copper Pipe, with a vet wrap handle. At 6 weeks bantams are big enough to hold and 'smack' on the back of the neck. I only have bantams and if I have to do an adult I get OH on it as I would hate to not do it first time.
I can't do new chicks, even if there is something wrong, OH does those by pushing their necks against a corner with his thumb.

Clodagh

Visit site
I got like that about eggs last year, then gave myself a talking to. I don't have a cockerel, so they were never going to be hens. I just got myself in a bit of a tizzy about it all.

I'm OK with quiche, and cakes, but not eggs as eggs. I should be a vegetarian really. I can't even eat bacon any more.