Buying From HHO Members

Tia

Visit site
Following a post I just read on here, I was just wondering whether this is a good idea or not?

Selling horses, tack, trailers, vehicles and other items. Is everyone happy with everything they have bought from other HHO members or were you disappointed?

How would you deal with it if you were disappointed? Is it a good idea selling within this community?

I haven't bought anything from anyone. Although I might consider buying tack, I don't think I would ever buy a horse from another member - I feel it might compromise one or both of the members.

Any comments? Good, bad experiences? Please don't name names though as this is not intended as a post to argue in - I am just interested that's all
smile.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
I bought a show saddle from a member and I have to say it is everything I was told it was, and a total bargain. Couldn't be happier with it.

I also have a second saddle from another member that I am kind of using on approval to see if its OK and due to pay for, again exactly what it said on the tin and good price.

And I've sold a bridle to someone, and dropped the price a little from what I wanted and posted it for free and I hope its exactly what they wanted!

Not sure about horses though. I guess it depends on who. I'd steal a few of yours quite happily!

I'd trust quite a few on here as sources of horses, and others I wouldn't, I think you get a bit of a feel for it if you've been here a while. Would definately trust the likes of Weezy, Spaniel, Sooty etc... and would have been pestering Vicijp if she wasn't a bit far away. And I'd buy one of Henryhorns gorgeous youngsters in a millisecond if I had any money!

Oh and if it wasn't that its so far away, a bit too far, I was going to use Delphipuppy's stallion - he's gorgeous!

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
I'm about to take a horse on trial from a fellow member, I think it's a useful place to meet people and the advantage is that you may know more about the horse than by replying to an advert elsewhere.

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
the advantage is that you may know more about the horse than by replying to an advert elsewhere

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point - you would certainly be going into it with your eyes open.

sojeph

Visit site
I wouldn't see it as any different-but then I've only met 2 members briefly so wouldn't say I 'know' them or are friends as such with them so there's nothing to compromise. I had a saddle adjusted and fitted by a member and if I hadn't been happy I would have complained just the same. I also have a little rescue pony that I'm looking after for a forum member. No problems there so far!!In the village I live in most shopkeepers are friends /aquaintances but I would still complain if I needed to.

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'd trust quite a few on here as sources of horses, and others I wouldn't, I think you get a bit of a feel for it if you've been here a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that is so true. I would also trust some on here to point me in the right direction and be truthful about horses/items etc.

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
yes exactly, and I'd also like to take Fal off LZT's hands too but sadly I don't have the funds at the minute.
The one coming on trial is for a hunting client

Parkranger

Visit site
My mums just brought a horse off a forum member - I think you feel a little more secure as the majority of people on here tend to be more honest about their circumstances and some of the time they've already posted about said horse......I'd recommend it!

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
definately trust the likes of Weezy, Spaniel, Sooty etc... and would have been pestering Vicijp if she wasn't a bit far away.

[/ QUOTE ]

AAhhh, youve made me go all funny inside!
cool.gif

I wouldnt have any qualms at all about selling to anyone on here, im totally honest when im selling. The last thing I would want is for a horse to go to an unsuitable home, and I would like to think that people feel they can come back to me with any problems they may have.
As for buying, see no problems with that at all. Although I do trust my own judgement totally, whether buying from field/sale/private - if I brought a dud it wouldnt be anyone elses fault!

Sooty

Visit site
I don't think buying from an HHO member is any different from buying from anyone you know, it is always more embarrassing if things don't work out but you are more likely not to be ripped off. However, personally I would be very nervous about buying a horse from anyone I knew, in case something went wrong or they didn't like the way it was looked after etc. I would not like to compromise a friendship.

Snowberry

Visit site
I havent bought anything from anyone on HHO but have sold things to several people (saddle to GM
grin.gif
grin.gif
) and leccy fencing, bridle etc...
I think the thing with selling/buying to/from people you 'know' is that if there is any problem you are hopefully more likely to get it sorted out.
I'd probably be more likely to let people try before they buy from HHO than I would a complete stranger.

Patches

Visit site
I bought Patches from Lucy and I would definately buy again from a member.

That fabulous search facility lets you look to see if the person has posted about problems or illnesses etc and from reading the chatty posts you get a feel for the character and suitability of the horse beforehand too.

Some of the members on here are dealers too and I would treat them in the same way that I would treat any dealer so that wouldn't put me off either.

It's the horse I would be interested in, not the person.

MrsMagoo

Visit site
The bridle was fantastic GM, and really appreciated you sorting me the deal and letting me see it first...I dont see a problem at all with buying things from other HHO'ers, and if anyone did have a problem, Im sure that person would hear about it lol ;p

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
Ive bought a horse from a forum member and Im totally happy. I felt I knew a bit about the person before I saw the horse, through posts here on HHO so I felt more comfortable.

I would have no qualms about buying anything from a fellow member as caveat emptor applies in any sale anyway, but it's nice if it's somebody that you have already 'chatted' to on here.

frannieuk

Visit site
i bought some electric fencing from a member and it was brill - couldn;t fault her for spending the time to pack it all up etc - you know who you are
smile.gif

Enfys

Visit site
Bought a pony from JM last year and am STILL chuffed to bits with him! No qualms about buying or selling to anyone on here, it's like any other deal. I've bought several things from members with no complaints at all. If a problem arose then I would hope that an amicable solution could be found in private, I would never consider the forum a lever, one way or another.

VikkiBP

Visit site
I've bought a horse from a member on here and chuffed to bits with him, mind you he's a bit of a rascal now, but of the good variety
smile.gif