buying from Ireland

spacefaer

Visit site
Would you buy unseen in England? The main attraction to Irish horses is the price. You also have to factor in the cost of vetting and transport - I always reckon on adding an extra £500 in costs....

We buy in Ireland, but from people we know and trust. If unseen by us, then we ask friends in Ireland to look for us, and check out references. Always have them vetted, by a vet who doesn't know the vendor.

if I was buying unseen, I wouldn't buy over a certain price - it's always said that you should only gamble what you can afford to lose.

I wouldn't buy a big price horse unseen, either

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Yes I did and I have an amazing horse. However if I did it again and it had cob / draught / heavy blood in it I would test it for PSSM. And I wouldn't buy something I didn't feel I could sell on for more if I didn't like it.

Last edited:

Irish gal

Visit site
Majors, the exchange rate for you guys is fantastic at the moment so you can get a real steal. But it's so important to ensure you are dealing with reputable people. I don't think I would buy from done deal as people could be masking problems even if you speak to them, as they may well have, as we say 'the gift of the gab' - in other words are good bull s******.

There seems to be some good producers on facebook though. Not sure what you're after but for all rounders the FB group Quality Irish Horses and Ponies looks good. I am always seeing comments from happy UK customers there, bought sight unseen. Also there is a government scheme where you will be reimbursed the cost of your airfare if you come to look at horses. Google Irish Horse Gateway and you can get the details. Happy shopping!

kassieg

Visit site
I have bought unseen but from a breeder. She was rising 3 & is now 3 & turning into a beautiful young horse :) i was over the moon with her & would buy unseen again from a breeder/dealer but i wouldn't buy something that was broken.I'd always go & view if it was broken :)

majors

Visit site
Thank you for your comments, as I am in Cornwall everything is a long way away and the choice very limited, I look to Ireland as I would like another connie or connie cross as the one we have is wonderful.

GermanyJo

Visit site
I bought my current connie x from Halston stud unseen as a 3 year old, was a bit scary, but the people were lovely, horse was more or less untouched.. Not sure I would buy a broken in horse unseen, figured with a youngster if the price was right I could see enough from pictures and videos. Am seriously considering buying another youngster from the same stud at the moment, will try to get over to visit this time. But more because I would like to meet the people :)

meesha

Visit site
I asked my vet about buying from Ireland (he has bought few from there although visits to purchase) you can end up with lovely horse but big gamble if unseen was his opinion. We are in south west and he also said generally they are delivered to our area 3am !!! Pretty hard to check you are even getting right horse let alone sound one at that time in morning (I know some dealers offer payment on delivery but I would want to check horse first, pref in daylight)

majors

Visit site
I asked my vet about buying from Ireland (he has bought few from there although visits to purchase) you can end up with lovely horse but big gamble if unseen was his opinion. We are in south west and he also said generally they are delivered to our area 3am !!! Pretty hard to check you are even getting right horse let alone sound one at that time in morning (I know some dealers offer payment on delivery but I would want to check horse first, pref in daylight)

Yes that is a good point hadn't thought about that, thanks

Dusty85

Visit site
Hi, Ive recently bought one from Ireland (although through Goresbridge), and I went over on day trips to see horses a couple of times before. I absolutely loved the whole process, there are just so many nicely bred horses, for a fraction of the price over here. Just be warned- there is also a lot of crap!

I would never buy unseen, just my own personal preference; I can't afford for it to not work out. That said, as I bought from sales it was limited what I could do before hand, although I could see, tack up, trot the horse up and watch it being ridden and pop on it for a short amount of time myself, its still a massive gamble.

Costs wise, I paid about €250 for a five stage vetting (by a vet i would highly recommend, and would use again). Transport with George Mullins (there are cheaper but he came highly recommended by friends) was about €300.

Bear in mind a lot of them aren't vaccinated, so have a plan where to put them until they've had their primary course if your livery yard wont allow them on.

Im not far from Bristol, you can get a Ryan air flight on a day trip for less than £50 if you book in advance.

Pm me if you want any extra info.

majors

Visit site
Hi, Ive recently bought one from Ireland (although through Goresbridge), and I went over on day trips to see horses a couple of times before. I absolutely loved the whole process, there are just so many nicely bred horses, for a fraction of the price over here. Just be warned- there is also a lot of crap!

I would never buy unseen, just my own personal preference; I can't afford for it to not work out. That said, as I bought from sales it was limited what I could do before hand, although I could see, tack up, trot the horse up and watch it being ridden and pop on it for a short amount of time myself, its still a massive gamble.

Costs wise, I paid about €250 for a five stage vetting (by a vet i would highly recommend, and would use again). Transport with George Mullins (there are cheaper but he came highly recommended by friends) was about €300.

Bear in mind a lot of them aren't vaccinated, so have a plan where to put them until they've had their primary course if your livery yard wont allow them on.

Im not far from Bristol, you can get a Ryan air flight on a day trip for less than £50 if you book in advance.

Pm me if you want any extra info.

Many thanks great advice

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
If your considering getting a horse sight unseen from over here you could consider a rescue? There are masses of unwanted horses at the moment, plenty of them perfectly nice horses that have just been abandoned. I know our local rescue (https://www.facebook.com/HungryhorseOutside) has nearly 200 at the moment and they have re-homed to the UK and Europe, with the volume of horses they have they can't hold out for local homes. You still have to pay the transportation of course but at least you know you can trust the "seller".

I wouldn't buy a purebred connie unseen unless its from a well-known dealer or stud, you know the seller or can get someone you trust to go and look at it. Most of the farmers around my area have some connie broodmares and with the massive drop in foal prices a lot of them are trying to sell. They may forget to mention that they haven't been handled much beyond the basics for covering and foaling and "broken" means the neighbours son sat on it once.

Dusty85

Visit site
Just a thought majors, but have you looked at Irish horse imports?

Look on Facebook- not online as its not updated. They tend to buy ISH types, but they have just returned from Ireland, and have a lovely Grey connemara x gelding who is 15.1h for about 3k?