Buying horse prices vs selling horse prices

Patterdale

Visit site
Horses are expensive at the moment.
I’ve bought my youngster for this year, and it was expensive. They are ALL expensive. Especially the good ones.

The Connemara market is also strong. I know connemara prices, and they are expensive. You can’t buy them cheaply.

SELLING however seems to be a different matter. I have for sale a beautiful, smart, very well bred Connemara youngster. 148 event type. Well handled but not over handled. Kind and polite, moves and jumps, the lot.
He’s 2 and he’s £3500.

ALL I get is people offering me 2000…2250….’oh you won’t get more than that…he’s overpriced….’

I know what he would cost me to replace, and I know how hard the good ones, especially the non-greys, are to find. So why should I give him away!? I’d love to know where all these lovely smart genuine full Connemaras are for circa 2k, I’d buy a few myself!

Rant over. But I really don’t get it!

TheMule

Visit site
I’ve bought my youngster for this year, and it was expensive. They are ALL expensive. Especially the good ones.

The Connemara market is also strong. I know connemara prices, and they are expensive. You can’t buy them cheaply.

SELLING however seems to be a different matter. I have for sale a beautiful, smart, very well bred Connemara youngster. 148 event type. Well handled but not over handled. Kind and polite, moves and jumps, the lot.
He’s 2 and he’s £3500.

ALL I get is people offering me 2000…2250….’oh you won’t get more than that…he’s overpriced….’

I know what he would cost me to replace, and I know how hard the good ones, especially the non-greys, are to find. So why should I give him away!? I’d love to know where all these lovely smart genuine full Connemaras are for circa 2k, I’d buy a few myself!

No one wants 2 year olds- that has always been the way! Hold onto him until he's 3 and he'll be worth a much higher price if he's still on track for 14.2

Palindrome

Visit site
I hear you, I have put my 7 years old for sale for 3.5K and didn't get one single enquiry, I am not in the UK but he is a lovely genuine horse so I am a bit baffled.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
No one wants 2 year olds- that has always been the way! Hold onto him until he's 3 and he'll be worth a much higher price if he's still on track for 14.2
This makes a lot of sense.

That said there are a lot of buyers with forthright opinions. I had the same recently OP and when I had a final attempt to sell I said I wasn't replying to messages and wanted people to call me. That solved the inane opinions problem, if all they were going to say was they had a budget of 1k they didn't bother phoning ?

BBP

Visit site

He’s 2 and he’s £3500.

I got mine from Ireland for under 2.5k so maybe that is where people are getting that ball park from? Admittedly he was 17 months and now at 2 and having exited the fugly duckling stage i’d think he was a steal for that price.

SEL

Visit site
Horse prices spent a looooong time in the doldrums and there's a lot of people who haven't got their head around the increase in the past few years.

It wouldn't be so bad if they'd just scroll past adverts they think are over priced but everyone has an opinion!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
It might be that people either want the cute fuzzy baby (foal) or something they can ride, and ride now. More than likely just the latter, and the 2 year old doesn't fit those requirements. I, on the other hand, would love to find a quality 2 year old, but cannot afford another horse (mostly time wise), so moot point.

I don't get the people that have to give their opinion. It happens with nearly everything for sale though. I've seen it on car ads, household goods ads, tack ads, and more.

You simply don't have to buy if you don't like the price.

I also don't blame some people for starting on the higher end and seeing what happens. Then they may come down or someone might approach with an offer that works, or they'll have some luck and get that higher end price. Can't fault someone for trying if they need the cash.

I am selling various items in preparation for our move and it's weird. I'll see people selling other similar or lesser quality items for the same price and be sold quickly. Or other ads listing higher prices...yet no real interest in my stuff. I price fairly, or even below that to just move stuff, but there it sits ?‍♀️

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
it only takes one person, CC... hope you get your one person soon!

I priced my horse at a level that i thought would screen out the worst of the dreamers. it sort of worked... i did drop quite a bit for the right home so although it's not in my nature to do it, i understand people making offers, you never know what the seller's bottom line is unless you ask. i could probably have held out for more but i got a good feeling about one potential home in particular. as a private seller i was not dependent on hitting a sales price to make my income.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I haven't even gotten to the horse yet ? just trying to sell a blender, steam cleaner, pet hair dryer (that OH needed for reasons unknown), fans, and random household stuff. Mostly because much of the 220v stuff that isn't dual voltage won't work in the US.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site

He’s 2 and he’s £3500.

Just sell him to those offering £3500 if you have them? No need to engage with the lower offers.
Unless you don't have anyone offering £3500 in which case, yes, he is overpriced so if you want to sell you need to accept a lower offer.

Rocky159

Visit site
Keep him till he’s three. Cut him if he’s entire. Break him or send him for breaking. Ride him away. Take him to some pony parties. Take good pics. You will be able to write your own ticket! ?

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
Just sell him to those offering £3500 if you have them? No need to engage with the lower offers.
Unless you don't have anyone offering £3500 in which case, yes, he is overpriced so if you want to sell you need to accept a lower offer.
I disagree people just want cheap horse nowadays and are unwilling to put there hands in there pockets for good horses 3500 is very reasonable considering I now breeders who are looking for 5000 for 2 year old .

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I disagree people just want cheap horse nowadays and are unwilling to put there hands in there pockets for good horses 3500 is very reasonable considering I now breeders who are looking for 5000 for 2 year old .

I am not sure what you are disagreeing with. She wants £3500 - and has been offered £3500 (presumably) so just agree the sale. Seller and buyer happy.

A horse is worth what 'the market' is willing to pay for it.

Patterdale

Visit site
Just one query...... wht buy another youngster when you have thi one?!! Presumably size as fullgrown?

I buy a foal every year as I like always having a 4 year old to bring on.
However I bought two in 2020 as they were both so lovely, so one has to go at some point as I won’t have the time to break in two along with riding my own horse.

But I’m not willing to give him away so I’ll just keep him. £3500 is not too much money for a quality Connemara!

Flyermc

Visit site
I buy a foal every year as I like always having a 4 year old to bring on.
However I bought two in 2020 as they were both so lovely, so one has to go at some point as I won’t have the time to break in two along with riding my own horse.

But I’m not willing to give him away so I’ll just keep him. £3500 is not too much money for a quality Connemara!

If he happens to be a bay and on FB, he's very nice :)