Buying horse with previous ulcers.... now scoped clear

Coblette

Visit site
Would you look at buying a horse that previously had ulcers? It was scoped clear in May and seller is happy to show the vet report. Said it was due to being on a big busy livery yard. It was grade 2 ulcers & treated with omperazole.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Possibly. Depends if horse has been doing the work snd outings you’d want to do since July?

My horse had grade 3 gastric AND grade 3 glandular.

Same horse had kissing spine related issues, 18 months later. My vet said no point scoping as would be back. Did scope, old scars but no new ulceration.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’d consider, my loan horse had ulcers due to a dental problem.
Both fixed and although he’s now back with his owners it’s not been a problem since.

foxy

Visit site
Nope, mine was scoped last year and had grade 4 ulcers, treated, they went initially and then came back 6 wks later. Fast forward 12 months I have had to fight to get taken seriously by the vet (not my usual one) but the equine hospital I was referred to. He has just had the op for kissing spines ...I would never consider a horse with ulcers as I agree with GS and YCBM there is always an underlying issue

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
One of mine was also kissing spines. Ulcer issues for a year, then a KS diagnosis. In another, ulcery issues treated with aloe successfully for a few months, then an arthritis diagnosis.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Quite honestly you'd struggle to find a horse without ulcers, whether diagnosed or undiagnosed. Having worked closely with three vets over the past three years or so with my ulcer prone horse, I've learnt an awful lot. It's a myth that they are caused by pain. Google the study that was done on EGUS, when an established herd was separated. Quite an interesting read. Indeed, my own mare is a true worrier, and it was deemed to be stress that was causing the ulcers.
I probably would buy a horse that had previously had ulcers as long as the cause had been established. You would just have to learn how to manage them and accept the fact that you could never claim on your insurance should they ever return (pre existing condition).

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
It’s my opinion that most ulcers are caused by pain from undiagnosed soundness issues .
I would proceed with extreme caution .

That is often correct, Goldenstar, but there are other reasons. Starting with the stress of weaning, then castration issues, followed by not enough turnout, not enough hay/haylage and too much concentrates. Then - once backed - ill fitting saddles and being pushed are also very possible causes. A couple of years ago I took back a mare sold 2 years earlier. The twit of an owner had spent £1500 on a new saddle and thought SHE could do the fitting! She couldn't, of course, and the mare came back as a 'fix and sell', sell as brood mare, or PTS, because she'd turned into a bucking bronco!! I didn't even bother to test her droppings for blood - her behaviour was VERY convincing! So put her straight onto Acid Ease, turn-out 23 hours a day. It was 4 weeks before the improvement was sufficient to start lunging her with a roller, then with a saddle: and another 4 weeks befor we rode her. After 8 weeks she was tested and was all clear, although still tense on mounting. She also showed intermitted off hind lameness - not BAD - but enough to cause her to fail a vetting. The lameness went as long as she was ridden forward on a light contact. It was 12 weeks before she passed a 5 stage vetting for an owner who'd had her entire history! A BIT of seperation anxiety for the first week in her new home - after that - all was well!

HobleytheTB

Visit site
If horse had been clear for several years since, and doing the work I wanted to do with it currently, then I'd say yes. I'd also want a clear cause, e.g. pain issue, no turn out etc. I'd be less inclined if it's only been clear since May, as that's not all that long in the grand scheme of ulcers.