Buying horses unseen

JBM

Visit site
If a horse was too far to go view would passing a vetting be good enough for you to buy?

ImmyS

Visit site
Yes and have done.
Would only do so if prepared to lose the money if it doesn’t work out, the height of horse isn’t vital and the seller is trustworthy.

edited to add I wouldn’t buy a ridden horse unseen. Only unbroken/lightly backed.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Depends on budget and expectations. I haven't tried a horse since I was a teenager, everything since then has pretty much just *arrived*.but I have no expectations of them in terms of what im getting and am generally on a budget of 3 figs or less, so I don't get to choose! I don't really mind making the best of things.

If I was looking for something specific or spending a lot then I'd make the effort to view every time.

WispyBegs

Visit site
Depends on the price, a seriously cheap horse might be worth a shot if you could afford write off any losses if things go wrong.

But no I wouldn’t recommend it.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I did when I bought my youngster except I didn't have him vetted. I just saw photos and videos and chatted to his owner. But I was happy with taking a chance on him as he was only 2 so obviously not ridden yet and not very expensive so if it turned out badly I hadn't wasted too much money. Thankfully it turned out ok and he was exactly as described. But for something older and ridden I would want it vetted and to go and see it even if it was a long way away, I'd be worried that even if you'd found a really honest seller and if it was exactly as described with nothing wrong with it, I still just might not like it to ride.

throwaway2022

Visit site
Youngster, yes - I have done on a few occasions. I'd only risk money I was willing to lose on something ridden unless I had a prior relationship with the seller and knew they were trustworthy, even then it's a gamble!

Winters100

Visit site
Have done it when I was a much more confident rider, and in full knowledge that it may not work out. Now I am a more cautious rider it would not be a suitable course of action. Nothing wrong with doing it as long as you go in with your eyes open and prepared to lose money of it does not work out.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yup and I didnt bother vetting either. I did have a pulse racing few minutes waiting for him to walk down the ramp, but he's everything they said he was and more.
This! Mine was from Southern Ireland and I was well aware that whatever came down that ramp was mine, like him or not!

The transporters took a couple of photos and on one he looked like he had a huge windgall ??but when he offloaded, it was a hairy ankle?? which is fabulous as he had a matching set and under the hair, clean legs!

I did a lot of research on the dealer.

silv

Visit site
Yes, have done was a cheapish project and a super type and I was confident that I could put some work into her and sell her on if I didn’t like her. She is absolutely great now that I have put work into her, but she won’t be going anywhere!

She isn’t my competition horse however I would not buy one that was expensive and my main horse without seeing it in case I didn’t like it

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think I’d rather use a horse agent in Ireland. I don’t know if she still does it, but she was very successful when we were on another forum some time ago. I thought it was a great idea, say what you want, an agent sources several for you to view, you pop over and choose! Saying that, I’m not sure I ever want to ride again.

gallopingby

Visit site
It would depend how much l knew or could find out about the horse ie info from breeder and how many past owners etc also reason for sale. Depending on price would probably have 5* vetting but not necessarily if l was going to see. Sometimes it’s worth taking a risk. Good horses arent easily available and are selling quickly but what’s meant to be usually is.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I did with Lottie. Asked on here and Dodgy Dealers about the dealer and got very positive feedback about both his eye for a horse and his honesty. Liked the breeding (she’s Amber’s Aunt!) liked the video and she passed a vetting. So she was shipped over from Ireland. She was not cheap but much cheaper then I could find in England and I had her delivered to a pro friend who does sales livery for her to try out first and sell on if necessary. I loved her the moment I met her and she is absolutely wonderful and better than I could have hoped for.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think I’d rather use a horse agent in Ireland. I don’t know if she still does it, but she was very successful when we were on another forum some time ago. I thought it was a great idea, say what you want, an agent sources several for you to view, you pop over and choose! Saying that, I’m not sure I ever want to ride again.

I tried that and it didn't work for me.

I would say when you do it, make them specify exactly what you are going to see. I was promised loads of horses. Only saw one that was in my actual spec, and she seemed to be cold backed.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Just thinking again about this. I didn’t choose Amber and would never have chosen her as I could not see past her skinny, grumpy exterior. And though we viewed Dolly, she was found for us by that same pro I sent Lottie to. I’ve got no skill in evaluating horses and I’ve had very mixed fortunes with horses and ponies I’ve found for myself from ads. Plus you are less likely to find info on private sellers and have fewer consumer rights. So if I were to buy again I think I’d go for agent or trusted dealer rather than do it myself.

Peglo

Visit site
I should probably add that I had no expectations when I bought mine. Never planned to compete competitively although did hope we could give things a try. It was a see what happens kind of decision and if she would only hack, that’s what we’d do.
I bought her from Italy so it was a nervy moment waiting to see what came off the boat, if anything.

BBP

Visit site
I also always said no, no way. And then I did it last year with a yearling from Ireland. I’ll admit when he got off the (ginormous) lorry I did think ‘what the heck have I done’. He was in the fugly stage and sooo skinny having had a tough journey and not been fed by the transporters. But he has just turned 2 and is starting to look cracking! He’s also got a fantastic temperament. Like others I had zero expectations of him, so made it easier as won’t be disappointed. The only thing I hoped for was a more chilled temperament than BBP and he seems to have the perfect balance of sensitive, confident and intelligent so far.

Last edited:

millikins

Visit site
We bought our Dales mare unseen and glad we did as would probably have walked away if we'd tried her. But a rare breed native mare is always going to be worth something unless there is something very, very wrong. She was stuffy, obese, school sour, bolshy and hormonal. She is now much loved and whilst not suitable for a novice, is on the whole a very good girl.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yes, I bought B Fuzzy 'mail order'. However, I knew her breeding right back 5 generations (I produced her grand dam on dam side), saw copious photos and videos of her 1st. She was 12/13 car driving hours away.
That said, in nearly every other case, I'd say a very firm no, don't buy unseen.

throwawayaccount

Visit site
don't spend more than you are prepared to lose, IMO, as buying unseen is a massive gamble vetted or not.

i have bought one unseen, although she's my best friend and the sweetest little mare she was sold with a combination of issues that means she is retired to the life of a glorified lawnmower at 11.