Buying horses unseen

maya2008

Visit site
I bought one unseen and unvetted last summer. I liked her kind eye and sweet face in the advert pics and she was very cheap. If she had been unrideable I needed a companion anyway so wouldn’t have mattered. She turned out to be a fantastic first pony type who my 7yo daughter adores (and the feeling is mutual). She was also unexpectedly in foal…

JBM

Visit site
This is the horse I might have fallen in love with ? she’s just turned 3 so not sure if I could do much riding to try her anyway open to vetting and around 3 hours away but she’s beautiful and got a lovely temperament

Attachments

• 6AE19D14-06E2-4B1D-B307-E0A386833488.jpg
    6AE19D14-06E2-4B1D-B307-E0A386833488.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 114

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
Yes. The last 4 I bought were all unseen. And all of them were fabulous (except the one who has bred to jump and preferred to hack but buying a 3 year old you can never predict that).

Reactions: JBM

TPO

Visit site
Honestly if she's only 3hrs away go and see her. I really don't think any distance within UK mainland is "too far".

I'm in Central Scotland and drove 8hrs+ to Hampshire to view one. It was a total crock and not at all as described or photographed/videoed. I drove another 8hrs + each way during the bad 2008 floods to Hereford to view and try a horse before driving home.

6hrs round trip is nothing compared to ending up with the wrong horse!

I bought a 2yr old unseen from a breeder that I "knew" online for over 10yrs at thst point and who came with glowing references from previous clients. What arrived was a malnourished, neglected bag of bones and at the point the same "supporters" started PING-PONG me their horror stories about the stud, person and horses. That stud was in Wales and my thought process was what can I check with a 2yr old, legs all point in the right direction and he looks in good nick (amazing what old photos can be passed off as). I figured the fuel and hotel money would be better spent paying for horses transport. I don't regret it he's a cracking horse now but that was me thinking I was buying unseen safely and correctly...

Also depends on the experience of the individual. I would have been more comfortable buying unseen when I was younger and basically better at riding. I don't ride anywhere near as much and rust has definitely set in. I'm pretty goof at assessing myself and I've always been realistic about my ability. Gone are the days that I would clamber on anything!

Having said thst I'm fairly confident in my groundwork and "system" so a project wouldn't bother me that way but I'd want to know thats what I was buying and not something thst I thought was good to go but arrived with major holes.

Keystone Equestrian on fb recently wrote a good blog about the half started horse. As in people either want a blank canvas or a horse going. Anyone with a good system in place wants a horse properly going before selling. Of course there are exceptions and life happens type things but I'd be wary of buying a "started" 3yr old when not from an established producer. Again there are often genuine reasons for this but that's the type of horse I'd want to clap eyes and hands in before committing to buy.

Edited- ping pong should read PMing. I dont know why my autocorrect has it in for me

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
Do horses exported from Ireland still get vetted before they leave? Someone I know bought a young Irish horse, from a trustworthy dealer, but didn't have it vetted as they found out that everything that was being exported was given, I guess, the equivalent of a 2 star vetting, so its heart would have been checked.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Oh could you point them out to me? I’d love opinions it my first time buying a young horse

I've not been back to look at the photo but from memory the grackle, not suitable for a young horse and I think it was in her eye as well, that flags up a query that she may not have been started very well. Her posture looked very suspect to me, I think she looked like she was stood right under herself, so a flag that there might be an issue. I don't think her conformation looked that good either, but that's much harder to tell from a wonky side on pic like that.

Its just a random snap shot so the bridle might have an explanation and the rest might not be there in a video or different photo. It isn't something that would stop me viewing at all, but it is something that would make me want to see her in the flesh before handing over any money.

JBM

Visit site
I've not been back to look at the photo but from memory the grackle, not suitable for a young horse and I think it was in her eye as well, that flags up a query that she may not have been started very well. Her posture looked very suspect to me, I think she looked like she was stood right under herself, so a flag that there might be an issue. I don't think her conformation looked that good either, but that's much harder to tell from a wonky side on pic like that.

Its just a random snap shot so the bridle might have an explanation and the rest might not be there in a video or different photo. It isn't something that would stop me viewing at all, but it is something that would make me want to see her in the flesh before handing over any money.
That photo was from when she was two and I agree I don’t like the bridle but would change her to a micklem I can attach some videos

Jango

Visit site
We did, ended up being a great decision (but she was a BOGOF!). She was off the gypsies and v cheap, we got a video of a man riding her bareback down the road, she was sound and we thought if she'll put up with that she'll put up with anything ? Didn't get her vetted she was just delivered. BUT we were willing to sell on/put to sleep if there were major issues and didn't mind if we lost our money. I bought her with a friend so the burden was halved and we both have our main horses. I wouldn't do it for a horse that was expensive or that I was intended to keep forever.

I wouldn't touch that coloured even if it was free. It's badly put together behind and moves very stiffly. If you can't see that you need to look at horses in person with someone who knows what they are looking at. Maybe your riding instructor?

Durhamchance

Visit site
For me it depends on the circumstances. Me and a friend bought an unseen cob colt last year. We just rocked up with a box, checked he had four legs and bought him home. So far he's a lovely boy with no issues, but we have no expectations other than he needs to get bigger than 14.2hh!

If it was a ridden horse for me or my daughter, then I absolutely wouldn't want to part with that much cash without seeing it first.

Attachments

• 254849671_10158090219661761_1414943623749932092_n.jpg
    254849671_10158090219661761_1414943623749932092_n.jpg
    742.1 KB · Views: 6

JBM

Visit site
I find her cute
Riding in arena
Got a new video and she usually rides in this bridle
Also got a baby photo ?
Going to make the time to go view her but taking all advice on hand

Attachments

• 9936204C-866B-42B8-8F87-C1E447EC86B3.jpeg
    9936204C-866B-42B8-8F87-C1E447EC86B3.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 56
  • BEC3F152-43F1-4398-BBEF-09FA679B0BF6.jpeg
    BEC3F152-43F1-4398-BBEF-09FA679B0BF6.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 53

I'm Dun

Visit site
I find her cute
Riding in arena
Got a new video and she usually rides in this bridle
Also got a baby photo ?
Going to make the time to go view her but taking all advice on hand

That video is an absolute hard no! At her age she shouldn't be working in a school like that. You cant tell from that video if shes lame or its balance and poor riding issues, but I wouldn't even consider this horse. OP please find someone experienced in real life to help you with finding a horse

stangs

Visit site
That video does nothing for me. Around 59s, she does the same leg slip/hind out thing that she did in the other video, alongside the other points I'm Dun mentioned.

If you really like her that much, make sure you go with someone experienced and who isn't blinded by love.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Poor little filly. Working far too hard for such an immature baby and was probably broken in last year. Her hind action makes me think of my old boy as a 2 yr old when I first spotted that he wasn't quite level behind. My vet said at the time that not many people would have noticed it. When he was about 5 he went lame and that turned out to be spavin. I would only buy her as a pity purchase for very little money and would turn her out at least a year if not longer.

Lyle

Visit site
Many, all youngsters (one was started though). Waiting for them to arrive is pretty exciting ? I did buy several from a few different breeders, which was easy because I knew what to expect. The import thing, (aside from vetting etc) is to make sure you are capable of, or have the support to, handle anything it might throw at you.

millikins

Visit site
Well I've seen worse! You certainly shouldn't buy without seeing her, and without a vetting. She's not moving well but if she is, as has been suggested an ex driven trotter, then she may just be struggling with incorrect schooling and different muscle development, the bridle in the still doesn't fit so heaven knows what else the poor thing is being asked to put up with. I also think she's too expensive, have a trawl through Dragon Driving to get some ideas, most on there are £800-£1500, mainly U.K. but would give you a baseline.

tristar

Visit site
she is working in a space far too small for her stage of training, but coping remarkably well to even get into canter which she is offering, considering total lack of everything i would want to see in a well broken horse in the first stages of training

i can`t comment on the soundness thing, because at her age and this time of year when she may be growing it would not be fair to condemn her

she shows a willingness to move forwards and is putting up patiently with the riders demands

i like her, go and look, get her vetted asking the vet to specifically look at any concerns, if you buy her, turn her out for 2 months, cos its the growing time of year, bring in walk in hand, lunge very gently, get to know her then decide where to go from there, perhaps a gentle hack twice a week if she can cope with that

i find buying any horse is a gamble, you never really know what you have till you get it home

and by the way i love part bred trotters, but bold!

Melody Grey

Visit site
Oh could you point them out to me? I’d love opinions it my first time buying a young horse
From a combination of the photo and video, in my opinion there are conformational and soundness issues a plenty along with young age and the type of work the horse is doing. Even being generous enough to accommodate dodgy camera angles etc, it’s a definite no from me. I don’t mean to sound unkind, but if you’re unable to see that, I wonder if buying a youngster is for you OP? I’d advise you to be considering something older, more established and from a reputable dealer.

JBM

Visit site
From a combination of the photo and video, in my opinion there are conformational and soundness issues a plenty along with young age and the type of work the horse is doing. Even being generous enough to accommodate dodgy camera angles etc, it’s a definite no from me. I don’t mean to sound unkind, but if you’re unable to see that, I wonder if buying a youngster is for you OP? I’d advise you to be considering something older, more established and from a reputable dealer.
Not unkind at all I definitely know I have a lot to learn thank you for your advice ☺️

MagicMelon

Visit site
I have once, I bought a 3yo just backed Welsh Cob from Wales. Had it vetted and watched video footage of it being ridden. The horse was a but of a nutter when I got it and took a good year to get sorted as was a real handful but I certainly didnt regret it. But then I was experienced and willing enough to put in a lot of time and effort to sort the horses manners etc. out. I would do it if it was something young enough to hopefully not be ruined riding-wise. It is a risk of course though and definately wouldnt suggest doing it if you arent that experienced or are a bit nervous etc.

On the other hand I was gifted for free an amazingly bred showjumper which my friend had ridden, however that horse did have issues and after a year went lame. Cost me a fortune... hence why I would never buy an older horse unseen.

Peglo

Visit site
I don’t like videos that are edited. When I bought mine they showed her being mounted and then put through all the paces on each rein in one continuous film. No stop/starting. I got exactly what I expected from the videos. (Don’t think she’d done masses of schooling but knew the basics.)

There’s more experienced people here that know about conformation but even I found that an uncomfortable watch. In a tiny arena with all the unnecessary obstacles she did good but it didn’t look right. Could be that it’s just too much for her young body.

if you choose to buy her do not pay the asking price. And definitely go and view her.