Buying Shavings in Bulk

Escada2004

Visit site
Our shavings have just gone up by £1 a bale from £5.25 to £6.25 a bale, thats based on buying a min of one pallet at a time (18 on a pallet) i know that they were very cheap but to put them up by £1 a bale i think is steep :eek: does anyone else know where i can buy them cheaper in bulk, must be able to deliver, thanks :)

vetsbestfriend

Visit site
We pay £6.25 per bale normally for a whole pallet and there are 42 bales on a pallet. Sounds like you were getting a very good deal with them at £5.25. The bales we get are Natural Flake and are very good quality. Worth checking out Ebay as there are several companies on there also selling bulk shavings. But taking into account delivery charges, you might find that even at £6.25 the ones you are getting now are actually cheaper.

Mike007

Visit site
Expect woodshavings prices to shoot up. The problem is that after deducting vat ,a £6.25 bale weighing ,say 20kg equates to £260 per tonne. (and at a moisture content of about 10%). Shavings heating fuel and wood pellet fuel currently costs about £250 per tonne delivered in bulk.There is little incentive to produce shavings for bedding when the heating fuel market is paying almost the same. The RHI scheme has now started and pays those with modern biomass boilers betwean 2 and 7.5 pence per kilowatt hour for heating . Rather like the solar pannels scheme ,you get paid to use renewable heat. Wood waste, Miscanthus and straw all have a reccognisable fuel value now ,so the horse owner is in direct competition for a valuable resource. Unfortunately we have the disadvantage that we have to pay 20% vat whereas heating fuel is 5%. (of course in all the years I sold straw,everyone said it was feeding straw, ,zero rated , rather than bedding straw, 20% vat. :D:D)

Escada2004

Visit site
so frustrating, i remember it wasnt long ago that we were paying £4.50 a bale! I was on straw but it was very dusty so then started using pellets but one of my mares is very dirty on them, the other is fine. Ive found the dirty mare so much better on shavings hence moving her on to them. Looks like £6.25 per bale is then. Thanks all for your input :)

Miss L Toe

Visit site
What about trying straw pellets, you can buy in bulk to lay deep beds, plus some bags to top up, they are supposed to be drier than shavings, which I don't really like, I pay £7.50 per bale of shavings from YO or from Feedstore.

Escada2004

Visit site
What about trying straw pellets, you can buy in bulk to lay deep beds, plus some bags to top up, they are supposed to be drier than shavings, which I don't really like, I pay £7.50 per bale of shavings from YO or from Feedstore.

Thanks for the suggestion but i really want to stay on shavings if i can, have tried so many bedding types and every time i go back to shavings

Escada2004

Visit site
Why don't you take your own wagon or trailer, won't cost you as much in fuel as a delivery charge wouldn't have thought?

yes as the nearest store is 40 mins drive in the car so will be longer in the lorry so when you add fuel and time which i dont have it works out just as much unfortunately :(

Thepony - thanks but what to stay completely away from straw

ThePony

Visit site
yes as the nearest store is 40 mins drive in the car so will be longer in the lorry so when you add fuel and time which i dont have it works out just as much unfortunately :(

Thepony - thanks but what to stay completely away from straw

Fair doos - is a proper pain! One of ours is fine on straw and so has the mix, my mare isn't sadly so I use a wood chip/flake mix which is ace. V absorbant and gives a good bed. Cheaper than large shavings but gives a nice dry bed so I don't feel I'm going cheap on her!