Buying your first horse

Arizahn

Visit site
1) Be honest about your finances, free time, weight/build, and level of ability.
2) Talk to a knowledgable friend/instructor, etc and ask their advice on what might suit you best. Ask them if they would be willing to view horses with you.
3) Make a list or chart of what the horse must have, what it must not have and what you could compromise on.
4) Start looking...

5) Don't do ANY of this without the bill payer's permission/support of parents if a minor, etc.

Kat

Visit site
Lots!

The main one, have someone genuinely experienced in horse buying who also knows your riding to go with you to viewings and to help and advise.

Get a vetting from a vet that isn't connected to the seller, and be present for the vetting.

Kat

Visit site
2) Talk to a knowledgable friend/instructor, etc and ask their advice on what might suit you best. Ask them if they would be willing to view horses with you.

Make sure that they are really experienced though, some instructors have little or no horse buying experience and may not be much help. I know of instructors who have done most of their training on school horses and have only ever bought a horse that is known to them. You want someone who has bought and sold a few ideally and can see through the sales pitch.

1Lucie

Visit site
1) Be honest about ur ability.
2) Be honest about what u can afford (it always costs more than it does on paper!!!)
3)Don't fall in love with something completly unsuitable!

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
Having just bought my boy 7 weeks ago (I bought my last horse before that over 20 years ago), I would recommend you factor in EVERYTHING into the purchase price.
I.e vetting, vaccinations, transport, dentist, rugs, tack, passport update, etc.
I must admit I got a little caught out as we had budgeted for the purchase price of new neddy but then had to add in all of the above and some which has added up as my saddles and bridles didn't fit him as expected and he needed physio, vet, dentist and farrier not long after I got him so the 'set up' costs, of you like we're considerably higher than expected.
Also, write a list (I'm my case a very long list) of all the things you are looking for in a horse and make sure you also list all your questions. I spent nearly an hour on the phone to the seller going through absolutely everything before I made the decision to go and view him.
Anyone selling a horse should be more than willing to take the time to answer any valid questions you may have.
I arrived to view my boy knowing full well what to expect and having had the long conversation beforehand with the seller, there were no surprises and everyone was happy all round.

peahead12

New User
Visit site
thankyou for all your useful tips, currently calculating costs etc where i am going to keep it (as i don't have own land) all that jazz.

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
Good luck in your search. Don't be afraid to seek out answers from this forum if you are not sure as to the type of things to ask the seller. There are plenty of very knowledgeable people here who are a godsend when you need help and I'd honestly be lost without them.
Let us know how you go and please post pics when you get your new neddy.

Kaylum

Visit site
Never be pressured into anything. Go back and look again. Ride out in traffic if it hacks put.

Tack up and groom yourself. Watch owner ride. Handle the horse and pick up all the feet yourself.

Get someone experienced with you to ride the horse as well as yourself.

After vetting etc if you continue with the purchase, save the advert and get a written receipt with the name and address of seller make sure it matches the passport if it's a private sale and ask for the passport at the vetting so the vet can check it matches the horse. No passport no sale in my opinion.

Your receipt should not say private sale if you buy from a dealer.

Last edited:

Arizahn

Visit site
Make sure that they are really experienced though, some instructors have little or no horse buying experience and may not be much help. I know of instructors who have done most of their training on school horses and have only ever bought a horse that is known to them. You want someone who has bought and sold a few ideally and can see through the sales pitch.

Indeed; I had a genuinely knowledgeable friend help me find my first pony years ago. Worked out well.
But when I was looking this time, I asked advice from someone who turned out to be all talk and no real sense...they tried to convince me to spend a sizeable amount on a cob because it was pretty - yes it was pretty, but the seller was also rather dodgy!
And so I ended up buying Hippo instead...:D