Bypass bridge - the meeting

Sooty

Visit site
Yesterday I had my meeting with Dr Stephen Ladyman, the Minister for Transport. OH and I met up with our MP and made our way to the DFT offices, where we were shown into the meeting room and who should be there (apart from the Minister obviously)? The lovely man from the local Highways Agency offices with whom I have been arguing for nearly a year. Great. Anyway, my MP introduced me, and as I was about to start speaking when Dr L said he know what the case was all about. That floored me a bit, as I had expected to have to go all over it from the beginning, but he had obviously heard the whole thing from the HA’s side. Anyway, I then started somewhere in the middle and made the same old points all over again, then MP chimed in being very supportive. End result is the HA are going to have to go away and think up a solution to make the bridge safer, but it is not to be used as a precedent and is only being looked at because of our special circumstances – ie, we have no option but to use the bridge. Well, whether the HA likes it or not it will set a precedent. I cannot help but think the Minister was a bit baffled as to why something that is essentially a local issue had ended up being brought to his office, but he was very pleasant about it and did seem to be interested. Now we shall just wait and see…

OWLIE185

Visit site
Many congratulations. I very much hope that the Highways Authority now put up the height of fencing that you require without any further delay.

pottamus

Visit site
Good luck, hope it turns out for you and makes council and highways take action on other bridges too. Some are a nightmare...I assume you are referring to the parapet heights?

Scoopy

Visit site
Go Sooty !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm having the same kind of battle, you know the plans for the new motoway, it re joins at Ellington, there are 3 plans, but one goes right straight through my OH Farm and my stables ! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr going to look at weekend at the plans they are holding an open day for people !

BBs

Visit site
WOW at least they have taken this whole issue seriously!!!
IF anything AWFUL should happen in the future how would they feel? or i get the feeling its only until something awful should happen that they would take the necessary action.

Sooty we are all proud of you, for making this point with them. I just hope they make the RIGHT decision! and dont just poo poo it due to bloody money!!

I wish you the best of luck!

haybales

Visit site
go sooty! that sounds positive, i hope they make a decision for you soon, and i hope your local horse riders are hero worshipping you for all your efforts!
smile.gif

*goes off singing "sisters are doing it for themselves...!"*

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Well done, I bet they had no idea you would fight so hard and for so long!
This is someting that may affect many riders in future, so it's vital to start as we mean to go on.
Thank you on everyone's behalf for all that effort.
(phew, discussing with Ministers, was it like "Yes Minister?"
wink.gif

Sooty

Visit site
Thank you all so much for your continuing support - it really means a lot and has helped me maintain my dogged determination. I will let you know the outcome as and when it happens, no doubt there will be more pushing needed to actually get anything done. I am also keeping in touch with H&H as they have taken an interest in the story and given it coverage. Thanks again all!