Calcium as a calmer?

Sundae

Visit site
Nope! It is in the book- Holistic care for horses. It says that calcium can be used as a calmer (cant remember what quantities etc) and that you can also use the homeopathic version calcium 'something'. Sorry dont have the book with me at the mo to give more info. Just thought it sounded interesting... (reasons for looking at clamers!!)...

GTs

Visit site
Becareful with calcuim - in California we have a problem with horses getting to much of it (through hay, and water) and they end up with cricket size rocks on calcium in their gut which have to be surgically removed.

catembi

Visit site
If you want calmness, you could look into Nupafeed? It's based on magnesium & is expensive, but I used it on my spooky spinner with good results.

icemaiden113

Visit site
We use Magic as its cheaper than nupafeed but does the same thing! Its magnesium based and boosts whats already in the system to calm the the horse! Not a big fan of supplements but this one actually works!

ThomasTank

Visit site
I think you are thinking of calcium carbonica. its a homeopathic preperation. try him on calc carb 30 maybe and see. there are no side effects at all, it will either calm him or do nothing. good luck
one daily for a week
grin.gif

Sundae

Visit site
Hi, just found it (although I am going to stick to my herbs for the mo!)- ''A calcium supplement can be effective in some horses as a mild sedative. It seems to be particularly effective in thoroughbreds (yey!). When administering as a sedative rather than just a nutritional supplement, give the same doseage as recommended for nutritional purposes. Or as an alternative you may choose to use calcarea carbonica in a potency of 30c twice daily.'' Well done thomastank! Just never heard of it before... Of course not recommending it to anyone without advice of a vet!! There is of course the danger of causing dietary imbalance and you wouldnt want the sugical intervention mentioned by GT's (ouch!!)

ThomasTank

Visit site
Oh goody....its not every day I am right . If you give it to your horse, all it will do is calm her down, if it is not the right remedy for her then it will do nothing and you wont need surgical intervention. Try it, it will only cost about £4.00 but try not to touch the remedies ( tip them all out in your hand ) coz they lose their potency..
Homeopathy is the best stuff ever........been around 100s of years!!!!
grin.gif