Calcium Bentonite

Birker2020

Visit site
D
Has anyone used?
Did you find it was of any use?

I'm considering getting him scoped for ulcers but would like opinions as I'm thinking of trying CB first for my horse after someone on here recommended it and I found out from someone else that Acid Ease doesn't treat hind gut ulcers (when I say treat I mean that in the loosest sense of the word, as I'm of the understanding that only Gastroguard actually treats ulcers).

I'm a bit wary as I've read it can absorb up to 20 times its weight but also read many articles saying how good it is.

Stories gratefully received . TIA

ALSO IN VET section

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I don't know about Calcium Bentonite but thought I'd mention gastrogard doesn't treat hind gut ulcers, in fact it can make them worse. The hind gut needs the acid. Gastrogard is an acid inhibitor. That's why you tend to give horses on gastrogard sucralfate.

Birker2020

Visit site
I don't know about Calcium Bentonite but thought I'd mention gastrogard doesn't treat hind gut ulcers, in fact it can make them worse. The hind gut needs the acid. Gastrogard is an acid inhibitor. That's why you tend to give horses on gastrogard sucralfate.
Ah right thank you.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would go for aloe vera which has been proven to work. I've never heard of using fullers earth for ulcers before.

nutjob

Visit site
I had one with suspected ulcers and since I wasn't insured my vet prescribed gastroguard without a scope. It actually didn't help him but the scope would have been about the same price and I didn't want him starved due to previous history of colic. This was a long time ago so it might be worth looking at the relative costs of scoping first or going directly to treatment if your insurance is maxed out.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I had one with suspected ulcers and since I wasn't insured my vet prescribed gastroguard without a scope. It actually didn't help him but the scope would have been about the same price and I didn't want him starved due to previous history of colic. This was a long time ago so it might be worth looking at the relative costs of scoping first or going directly to treatment if your insurance is maxed out.
My mare had classic foregut ulcer symptoms. I asked my vet whether to bother with the scoping first and instead go straight to gastroguard. I'm not insured, but it wasn't a cost issue, it was to save my mare from the scope procedure. My vet said that we needed to be sure that she really did have ulcers, so she was scoped.

To the vet's surprise, she scoped clear. Based on her symptoms, hind gut ulcers were diagnosed, which do not respond to and I believe are actually aggavated by gastroguard. Hind gut ulcers can currently only definitely be diagnosed by post mortem exam, it is more a diagnosis by exclusion of looking at symptoms + a clear foregut scope.

My mare has gone to respond well to the Equibiome treatment protocol after a poo analysis, I've posted quite a lot about that. She has hind gut ulcers, not foregut ulcers. We'd have lost time and money by going down the wrong rabbit hole if she'd been put straight on gastroguard. She was already on an 'ulcer friendly' diet inc Protexin acid ease, etc.

Good luck. I'd expect your insurance to pay up for scoping and any treatment if your vet deems it suitable.

Last edited:

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Sorry, my phone died after I posted but also wanted to say... I'd always scope to know what I was dealing with. Some ulcers need antibiotics to clear, stomach ulcers and hindgut ulcers need different treatment, it's a guessing game if you don't know what you're treating. I've been surprised to see how well horses cope with the scope and for the cost i'd always recommend it.