Calling all dog, cat, rabbit and/or Syrian hamster owners! I need your help!

NPW19

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone! :)

My name is Natalie and I’m a PhD student at Hartpury University and the University of the West of England. I am exploring pet owner perceptions of UK legislation about pets and would be extremely grateful if you could take the time to fill out my questionnaire!
The questionnaire should take no more than 20 minutes to complete and is completely anonymous.

By taking part in this project, you will be helping to build a better understanding of pet ownership in the UK. This will inform approaches to improve pet welfare in the future.

Who can take part?
You must be 18 years or older
You must live in the UK
You must own one or more of: dog, cat, rabbit and/or Syrian hamster

If you’re able to help, I would massively appreciate it. You can join in by clicking on the link below.
https://uwe.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9FcYWafBAjRNWDk

Thank you in advance for your support and participation. I hope to be able to share outcomes from the study in the future.
Natalie

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
What about if you have more than 1 cat currently? My answers would be different for the pair in looking at the first couple of questions

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I had to stop when you asked me about dogs and i couldn't skip the question. My knowledge of dogs is 55 years out of date.

ycbm

Visit site
I think your research is going to be fatally corrupted by the fact that you aren't allowing people to skip the sections on animals they know nothing about.

I'm really sorry, but I think you need to change that, junk what you've already got (because you don't know if the respondent actually had a clue about what they were recording or just pressed anything to get through the section to finish the questionnaire) and start again.

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think your research is going to be fatally corrupted by the fact that you aren't allowing people to skip the sections on animals they know nothing about.

I'm really sorry, but I think you need to change that, junk what you've already got (because you don't know if the respondent actually had a clue about what they were recording or just pressed anything to get through the section to fish the questionnaire) and start again.
But the answers are pretty much the same. It’s essentially about the 5 freedoms, which apply to all domestic animals.

ycbm

Visit site
But the answers are pretty much the same. It’s essentially about the 5 freedoms, which apply to all domestic animals.

But if you don't have a clue about the animal you are answering it for it completely invalidates the response if this is a piece of genuine research. I haven't a clue what the needs of a Syrian hamster are to rank the importence of 5 criteria. Nor dogs for that matter, I've not had a dog for 50 years.

Last edited:

PurBee

Visit site
Done, but i do agree the results will be flawed because of the way its constructed. It doesnt necessarily mean the answers arent the same, but not being able to dismiss certain species just means the results from ‘rabbit owners’ wont be absolutely authentic, because most who answered about rabbits have never had one!

If the study is trying to determine owners knowledge base of legal care requirements - this survey could make final statements like ‘80% of rabbit owners are aware of the 5 freedoms and appropriate care’ - allthough most of those statistics came from say, dog owners, due to them not being able to omit the species from the survey.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site

Did you find your pet online - technically her breeder advertises on pets for homes, and has a FB page but I contacted her as my mum had had one from her, so more a word of mouth?

"Private seller" covers a multitude of sins from proper breeders to the "my cat got out during COVID before I could get her neutered yet funnily enough were advertising kittens a year later that looked identical to the now dead at a year old because of poor upbringing Alley Cat". I'd at least have split out by "registered breeder" and "casual breeder" as it will probably also affect the level of advice you receive - both Ragdoll and BSH came with a proper pack including details on when your kitten first arrives home. AC had ZILCH. I've used the other option in order to be specific

Did you undertake research - I did a bit but have had cats all my life so pretty much knew how to look after them. However no makes me look ignorant!! If I were getting something tricky, like a bunny, even though I've had them as a child, I would do research because they were when I was a child, so wouldn't know enough to be in charge of them. You also can't seem to go back if you need to change your answer?

The answers feel very closed, e.g. I don't give treats because one of them has a really sensitive stomach so needs a very controlled diet, not because I'm mean!!

As far as I'm aware there are no legislations around cat keeping? Unless I'm completely ignorant!

It was hard to rate (bar the free from pain and suffering) other 4, because I think all 4 overlap and all 4 are needed to get the goal of free from pain and suffering

Agree with pp, Ive never owned a dog, so am answering it from a general pov, possibly also slightly cat biased. I know enough about rabbits to know they like to try and die, so sensible diet is probably more important than cats which while very important, they can probably get away with slightly less e.g. a lower quality of cat food. I have not a clue about hamsters so again having to guess at answers

Research - it's hard because I know about cats, so wouldn't need to do as much research, however would need to do lots on all others, but it doesn't mean I don't think researching isn't important just because it's a cat!! I'd do a tonne of research on dogs etc, because I don't have the experience of them

Insurance - again no option for "up to my insurance allowance or x amount above it". Ive never owned dogs etc, so wouldn't know what their insurance cover goes up to, which would influence my decision!! It would also depend what the treatment involved and how invasive it was, quality of life, how the animal in question would cope as they are all individuals, what the prognosis was, what caused the need for treatment, age etc Way way way too closed. Annoyed me!!

I thought some of the questions at the end were rather invasive!!

Last edited: