Calling all Myler experts!

RaYandFinn

Visit site
Hi all

I'm having real issues bitting my boy at the mo so am looking for advice!

He is a 15.2 Irish cob, he's getting pretty fit now and is built very much on the forehand and is hugely powerful through his shoulders and neck. We do try and school regularly to combat these issues, but it is a long road and we're limited in how much we can do due to his arthritic hocks...

He came to me in a Sam Marsh Pelham, which we both hated and he still managed to run through and take off with me at will...we've tried lots of things including a waterford, cherry roller and normal pelham...all with little effect....

For the last couple of years I've ridden him in a Myler comfort snaffle with a drop noseband which he has gone nicely in, but we still have difficultly in maintaining an outline and he pulls like a train when he's out and about. He managed to get away from me last bank holiday weekend while on a sponsored ride and he just goes! To complicate matters, he had an awful start in life and had his tongue twitched and almost severed so has a big scar on that....although I'm pretty sure it doesn't cause him discomfort anymore...

I've popped him into a kineton noseband to see if it helps, but tbh he seems to pull worse in it trying to evade...I've only ridden in it 3 times so wonder if its worth persevering or not...

My next thoughts were either a myler pelham or combination and i wondered whether anyone had any advice on which mouth pieces might suit....or any better ideas?

Help?! :eek:

R

dotty1

Visit site
Has your myler got hooks on it?, if so you could use a blackstrap/curb on it for a bit more leverage?

saddlesore

Visit site
Bit bank sounds a good plan . A combination bit might be useful in removing the focus solely from his mouth which seems rather hardened to the action of the bit.

RaYandFinn

Visit site
Has your myler got hooks on it?, if so you could use a blackstrap/curb on it for a bit more leverage?

I've just tried this tonight, he was a little better....funnily enough my back lady was at the yard treating another liveries horse...so she had a quick play with him... And felt he may have been resisting due to some soreness through his back....we shall see!