Calling Dressage Tests - Help - Also in CR

Apalacia01

Visit site
Hi all,

I have been roped into calling tomorrow...am very nervous as have never done it before. It is just a basic walk/trot test for a Beginner's Combined Eventer Training here. So please, can I have some pointers/instructions? How long before move is executed etc?

Thanks!

quirky

Visit site
I try and read one move ahead and do not read all the words, just the need to know. This is assuming the rider pretty much knows the test to start with.

Apalacia01

Visit site
She doesn't know the test...I have a feeling this is not going to be good. Bugger, maybe I can get out of it! Was hoping to run through it today, but she didn't have the test with her.

quirky

Visit site
Well, if she hasn't learnt it, just do your best.
I didn't practice being a reader, somebody asked me when I went to watch one day and I ended up reading for 3 more.
It really isn't that difficult, you'll be fine!!

DuckToller

Visit site
It will be good practice, just remember to speak up, and look up as you speak so your voice carries. Have a read through it first too so you know what's coming next. Stand at B or E if possible.

You are supposed to read only what is on the sheet, nothing extra, and read all of one movement at once ie don't split bits up. Although if it's a walk and trot test, it should only have simple movements anyway.

Oh, and keep an eye on your rider - a friend of mine read for her daughter and was so busy concentrating, she didn't notice daughter had fallen off and carried on yelling for several movements. Daughter not impressed but judge and other parents found it hysterical (once they had picked up said child!).

Apalacia01

Visit site
Thanks for the comments, yes, I think it would have been better if it had been sprung on me. I will have to do it tonight and walk it through in my head so I know what it should look like!

Llewelyn - PMSL! I hope I don't do that, or keep going when her baby is having a little hissy fit at something!

Gorgeous George

Visit site
I have only read once for a friend of mine, and it was a 60 x 20 arena in the wind and pouring rain,and being a bigger arena I didn't know where half the letters were! But I watched a few tests before and then tried to speak loudly and clearly and it wasn't as bad as I thought!

duckling

www.facebook.com
Make sure you keep your finger next to the movement you're reading... I've nearly sent someone the wrong way after losing my place when calling!!
Its easy peasy when you get going though. As soon as the bell rings read the first movement, then make sure all the others are just a little in advance
smile.gif

Apalacia01

Visit site
Yes, I will probably lose my place - am waiting for that! Will try to watch a few before....we will see!

Its the YO on a nice Trakhener baby that she got from Holland. He is rather swanky, but if I piss it up, I think I will get shouted at. Nothing like a bit of pressure! I am secretly hoping that she wimps out and I can just have a lie in, but I suppose it would be a good experience!

Thanks all for the advice, so wait for bell to ring, loud, I can repeat and say next movement whilst doing the previous. Gotcha.

_Acolyte_

Visit site
Oh and dont do what I did last time I called a test - was so busy admiring the lovely warmblood's fantastic floating trot that I forgot to tell her to turn right
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif
Luckily I shouted just in time
grin.gif

Apalacia01

Visit site
I can't laugh? Well this is going to be no fun. Actually, she is a little scary...if I was doing it for someone I knew better it would be much easier (not that she isn't lovely, just daunting!)

*will not become fascinated by lovely paces* will not become fascinated by love paces*

thanks, I will do an update tomorrow, unless she wimps out. I am sort of kakking myself.....I will have to practise it in the living room tonight I think....
blush.gif