Calling PC mums....esp North Cotswold?!

McNally

Visit site
I wish to pick your brains!

My daughter really wants to join the pony club. I've looked at the web site and printed membership forms but have a few wonders!

1, The badges- look like fun but where/how are they achieved? *(also the tests. I think my daughter would be able to do the first ones straight off)
2, Are all the kids amazing little riders on expensive ponies? The few we know who go to rallies etc are and im worried my daughter who's pretty self taught and has a green youngster may struggle to keep up- doing her confidence no good?
3, How much do the activities that you take your pony too cost?
4, I personally have no towing vehicle and cant afford one tbh so we rely on my husband to drive if we take the pony anywhere but he's a farmer so in summer works 24/7 Can you generally lift share a bit or is this going to be a huge problem?

What do children actually gain/do at pony club? I never went as a child.
Thanks!

legaldancer

Visit site
I'm a PC Mum and was in the same branch as a child so I only have experience of this one - in Lincs.

Our branch and I think most have a mixed bunch of members. There are those who are mounted on expensive ponies, but most are not, and some have loan ponies. We have a few "Bransby" ponies in our branch and one competes in the teams!

The activities range from annual junior camp, (£80ish for 4 days: 2x lessons per day and full board and lodging for pony.) to rallies and XC training etc. Our rallies are only £3 which I'm sure is about the same as when I went! Other training is usually around £8 for 1.5 hrs.

The badges are organised so that a few will do them together, so you may have to wait until one comes up. Also, everything has to be done PC way which may not be what you do at home !:) There are usually training sessions for badges.

I think to get the best out of pony club you need access to a trailer and towing vehicle, but many farmers' wives will have the same problem at harvest. I know my sister has! Once you get to know other PC parents you can organise lift sharing and we do this quite often.

Regarding what can be gained: horsey friends for life and aquaintances from all over the county! It is amazing who once went to Pony Club! :D

H.K.D

Visit site
Pony club is amazing and I would thoroughly recommend you sign your daughter up. You and her will make life long friends and yes you will probably be able to lift share, maybe not straight away but ask the DC (the lady in charge) to ask the others if they would mind and you will probably get offers.

Your daughter will get the added bonus of a brilliant, experienced instructor for not much money and any issues will be addressed in a fun manner.

I am now 21 and spent 12 years in the pony club, I started off on newly broken Welsh ponies, whilst some lucky children had expensive ponies. They weren't always better off, as they then struggled to ride difficult ponies.

You just have to not be jealous of the ones with the expensive ponies, tack, trailers and be happy for what you have.

Enjoy it!! It is definitely the best fun ever.

Price wise: I used to pay £5-£10 for a rally, some were all day some were an hour lesson and an hour management.

coolio

Visit site
Pony club mum here ! I am non horsey, not sure where daughters passion for all things horsey came from?

We were encouraged to join pc by a friend and is has been a massive help to all of us. We have made good friends as well as our daughter.

I wouldn't worry about expensive pony, we are bargain bucket and have tried every discipline including games and polo.

Have fun and enjoy

marmalade76

Visit site
2, Are all the kids amazing little riders on expensive ponies? The few we know who go to rallies etc are and im worried my daughter who's pretty self taught and has a green youngster may struggle to keep up- doing her confidence no good?

Highly likely in the North Cots and Cots. Try the Cotswold Vale Farmers instead.

Dubsie

Visit site
My daughter thinks the best thing ever is Pony Club!

She rode in a riding school for years, then rode a Sec A for a lady for a year then we had her own ponies for a year, then joined Pony Club just over a year ago, and I can honestly say she learnt more in the year in Pony club than she ever did before.

With the tests and badges, they are scheduled throughout the year and they ask for suggestions as to which the children want to do. Some are also tested at pony club Camp. For the tests, daughter's PC usually runs E, D,D+, C at least twice a year and the higher up badges seem to be tested about once a year. (About 60 members). I think the higher badges they get outside examiners for and they go elsewhere to be tested, but the lower badges are taken during rallies

Don't think there are any expensive ponies in our pony club, my daughter had a green pony and naughty and the transformation over the year has been amazing. People seem to come with all sorts of ponies and just fit in, most folk are very ordinary.

Trainings vary between £8-18 depending on location and numbers, £8 is if at a yard with a trainer and a lot go or in the pony club field, £10 is standard rally charge, £18 for just a few wanting to do a training in winter at an indoor school. Some of the things have been £5 at the pony club field. Badge trainings tend to be about £3. Camp last year was £340 for a whole week at a site with a XC course (much better value than school trips IMO esp when you consider that includes hay and bedding for the pony). We tend to go to 2 x rallies a month + 2 x trainings a week in the summer, in winter quiz training one night a week (general theory) and 1 training a week, no rallies in Dec or Jan. Costs a LOT less than lessons where to hire a school is £5-10 and to hire an instructor is £20-27. In some instances my daughter has an hour's lesson on one pony, then on the other all for £15 - cheaper than hiring an arena for 2 hours! As we've nowhere to ride (no school, built up area!), I personally think it's fantastic value for money.

Lift sharing is fine if you live near someone (we don't often benefit as we live furthest away, but we do make detours to help others en route) - suggest learn to drive trailer/lorry and insist on use of the 4x4 when you need it (doesn't he have tractors?)

Daughter has learn to be more confident, has a heap of really good friends, and has had great fun competing for branch at area competitions and at the PC finals too. She's tried everything from polocrose, mounted games, Le Trec, dressage, show jumping, cross country you name it they seem to do it! We also have made some new friends, and gained the benefit of some fab instructors. She's also learnt to be more responsible for doing everthing for her pony since camp. Is great as I can just leave her to it!

I think you can put me down as saying 'highly recommended' , but I'd suggest go visit potential local branches of PC before deciding which to join and see what they offer, as not all are by all accounts the same or going to offer the same things to do.