calmer for pony ideas

MyBoyChe

Visit site
In this situation would you try a calmer, just to help relax the pony. Sec b, only ridden weekends by novice child, we hack out rather than have "proper" lessons as both pony and child enjoy this more. As there are now more and more people on the loose we are running into all sorts, bikes, kites, skateboards, hover boards, very noisy kids running about pretending to be fighter jets, you name it, we seem to meet it. Pony is very good in the main, perfect in traffic, but some things do seem to upset him and make him a bit edgy. Child doesnt seem too bothered but its not doing my nerves any good and I feel for the poor pony who is an absolute little darling. Pony is on low dose of Prascend and I dont want to mess with that but just wondering whether I could feed a low dose of a decent calmer all the time or something the night before and just pre hack to settle any nerves he might have. Any ideas or does anyone do similar?

Reactions: Kat

Kat

Visit site
In this situation would you try a calmer, just to help relax the pony. Sec b, only ridden weekends by novice child, we hack out rather than have "proper" lessons as both pony and child enjoy this more. As there are now more and more people on the loose we are running into all sorts, bikes, kites, skateboards, hover boards, very noisy kids running about pretending to be fighter jets, you name it, we seem to meet it. Pony is very good in the main, perfect in traffic, but some things do seem to upset him and make him a bit edgy. Child doesnt seem too bothered but its not doing my nerves any good and I feel for the poor pony who is an absolute little darling. Pony is on low dose of Prascend and I dont want to mess with that but just wondering whether I could feed a low dose of a decent calmer all the time or something the night before and just pre hack to settle any nerves he might have. Any ideas or does anyone do similar?

I would try a magnesium supplement daily and see if that helps. It is helpful for metabolic systems too so is worth feeding even if it doesn't make much difference. For what you describe I don't think I would bother with instant calmers or anything stronger.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
James Hart valarien is good. Not comp legal but definitely takes edge off. Can be fed constantly or day or so before hack leading up to hack.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I’d make sure the pony’s tummy is happy - tummy troubles can definitely make them a bit spooky. I’ve never used them myself, but a friend of mine swears by calming cookies in the same situation as you- might be worth a look?