Calmer for young horse

NooNoo59

Visit site
Hi all, my rising 6 welsh section d is very green but is normally pretty well behaved but he does have hysterical moments which I know are typical of the breed! We had no riding for 6 weeks but I lunged did pole work some TRT and long reining. We have started riding again but he seems very on edge so I have been recommended a calmer Feedmark Steady Up. Anyone got any experience with this? I just want something that calms his brain and just levels him out so we can progress. Once I start feeding it can I stop it as he matures as I dont really want to be feeding it for the rest of his life! I suppose I have this old fashioned view that calmer makes them dopey but I think they work like diazepam just level out the levels of anxiety. Am I correct in this? Thanks for the help
x

Widgeon

Visit site
Afraid I can't add anything useful re. Feedmark Steady Up, but I have a very green and anxious native type on Science Supplements ProKalm while he's being re-backed. He is also prone to hysterical outbursts, usually when he thinks he can't manage something like keeping his legs in order round a corner. It works for him; doesn't make him dopey at all, just takes the edge off and makes him more able to engage his brain and think about what he's being asked to do. Obviously he then makes steadier progress. I'd give the Feedmark a go, and if a couple of weeks of that doesn't work maybe try another one. I would guess they don't all work for all horses, but in my limited experience if you can find the right one for your horse it can be helpful.

LegOn

Visit site
I use Science Supplements ProKalm - and love it! Its works very quickly and doesnt need much 'loading time' I actually find it works after the first dose. I used it when I first got my horse, he was 5 and exciteable - had been hunted and all outings were very exciting! He could sometimes just boil over a little and I found that this stopped the 'stupid'!!! He just seemed to be able to cope much better. We moved yards at the end of last year and he finds our new arena quite intense cause its large and spooky and I put him back on it - again its just levelled out the stupid!!! :p:D I would highly recommend it!

Dusty 123

Visit site
I recommend anxkalm by nutriscience it helps the fight or flight response and it doesn’t make them drowsy .

Widgeon

Visit site
I use Science Supplements ProKalm - and love it!

Yeah...I have to admit when I bought the first expensive tub I was pretty skeptical but also pretty desperate. When it actually worked I was surprised and very pleased. Although now I'm constantly worried that someone will accuse me of being a rep for them. Other supplements are available!

Parrotperson

Visit site
I had a section D x who did exactly this. Had hysterical in can’t cope’ moments. So I tried cool, calm and collected‘ from equifeast. Which was absolutely brilliant. He changed to a completely laid back character whom you could ride in a field with a helicopter landing in the next field. Thoroughly recommend.