Calmer Help Ideas for a youngsters first ridden season.

LouHardwick

Visit site
hi,

I have a 4 year old who is foot perfect on hacks and in the meange but at an event she loses the plot and her concetrations. I ride her through this and am making huge efforts to school her through it but I cannot recreate this scenario without taking her to an event or show where losts of other horses are.
She showed alot at 2 & 3 yr old classess so has seen all the commostion of shows etc- She really is very good most of the time- more like a 10 year old than a 4 year old but I need to tackle this head on as I want to show her this year and do some (tiddly) hunter trials.
Can anyone suggest a calmer that has worked for them
I am not looking for an easy fix but want to help her keep calm as it cannot be nice for her to feel this way.
I also dont want to lose my nerve- I do ride her through it but ...
Any ideas all welcome,I look forward to hearing your thoughts and expereinces!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Have you thought about simply taking her weekly to some local shows - just to walk around and soak up the atmosphere, nothing else.

Personally I doubt that a calmer would be of any use in a situation like you describe - it sounds more to do with re-aquanting her with the sights, sounds and buzz of a show atmosphere.

LouHardwick

Visit site
I think so, as I said I do school her through and take her to dressage events to hack around with others so will just keep doing more of the same I guess,

Thanks!

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
I'm in the same boat as you, my 5 year old has been shown in hand a lot as a 2 and 3 year old, and is fab at home but take him to a show and he's scared of everything.
I took him to some Dressage on saturday and gave him 1/2 a tube of Equimins Serenity which made him nice and tired but still spooking at everything
frown.gif

Can't win really!

PennyJ

Visit site
Had our 5 year old on Equilizer. When tub ran out I changed to Feelgood 30 science formula calming and I am finding it much more effective.

Can you not take her off to some riding club events as well, just to desensitize her in the meantime?

Scarlett

Visit site
I use Temprelax by Naf a couple of days before and leading up to the event and then a dose in the morning of whatever we're doing.... took the edge off the two i had out on sat for their first dressage tests and meant they, and me, could enjoy it....

LouHardwick

Visit site
I appreciate all your ideas and will certainly have a go with some-
Scarlett- thats just what I mean "and meant they, and me, could enjoy it.... " thats what I want - the horse happy and me enjoying.
wink.gif

Scarlett

Visit site
Temprelax worked a treat for us in that situation, would deffo give it a try if thats what your after... I used it the thurs night, fri night and sat morning before the test....

Good luck!