Calmers for spooky snorting pony

Ellietotz

Visit site
My mare is ulcer free as of last year, back is sorted, teeth are fine and eyes have been checked so she really is just spooky hacking on her own.
She has been much worse now that the grass is coming through. I've tried magnesium for the last three weeks and it hasn't made any difference. Taking her off grass isn't an option at the moment.

What calmer can I try that is likely to actually work? I've seen Equifeast which is calcium based but I don't know if that's what she needs or if I should just try a herbal supplement.

She's fed a cup of fast fibre and handful of Honeychop Lite and Healthy chaff everyday with her Premierflex HA joint supplement, Bio Mos and Yeasacc/Mycosorb supplement.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Cowpony

Visit site
I'm convinced mine is worse when she's on grass 24/7 too. I've found Equinox original helps a lot, as does simply adding salt to her diet. I believe they need salt to help absorb magnesium, so I'm not sure if that's what is happening or not. Mine too had no reaction to increased magnesium or to Equifeast.

foxy1

Visit site
Have you tried ear covers?
I have seen so many recommendations in the past and have only recently tried them, I'm amazed at the difference! My spooky boy nearly falls asleep now when hacking with them on, I forgot to put them on the other day and he was seeing monsters in every bush!
Honestly do try them :D

Ellietotz

Visit site
Have you tried ear covers?
I have seen so many recommendations in the past and have only recently tried them, I'm amazed at the difference! My spooky boy nearly falls asleep now when hacking with them on, I forgot to put them on the other day and he was seeing monsters in every bush!
Honestly do try them :D

I have used normal ear bonnets but it hasn't helped

Ellietotz

Visit site
I'm convinced mine is worse when she's on grass 24/7 too. I've found Equinox original helps a lot, as does simply adding salt to her diet. I believe they need salt to help absorb magnesium, so I'm not sure if that's what is happening or not. Mine too had no reaction to increased magnesium or to Equifeast.

Would NAF electrolytes work the same? She's already on a couple of digestive supplements so don't really want to add anything else like the Equinox!

elliejhb

Visit site

Ohh that's interesting, my mare is on magnesium & I stopped giving her salt last week as the temperature has dropped. But the last 2 days she's had spooky speedy moments on the lunge. May have to dig the salt back out!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I give D & H Placid (mainly camomile with vervain & a touch of Mg), I also feed salt all year as it assists with the uptake of natural Mg. Not a lot of UK pasture is actually short of Mg, we just don't supply our horses with the means to take it in & good old table salt, a good shake in the feed, is exactly what helps it. Also you can't really over salt, they'll just drink loads & wee it out.

F&B

Visit site
I have found that Brewers Yeast helps with my boy, its rich in b vitamins and is also good for the digestive system.

Shay

Visit site
I've had good results with D&H Placid too. The majority of calmers work better on the rider (in that they are calmer thinking the horse will be too.)

Ellietotz

Visit site
I've had good results with D&H Placid too. The majority of calmers work better on the rider (in that they are calmer thinking the horse will be too.)

I wish that was the case but I think I spend half my time rolling my eyes at it!

Ellietotz

Visit site
I give D & H Placid (mainly camomile with vervain & a touch of Mg), I also feed salt all year as it assists with the uptake of natural Mg. Not a lot of UK pasture is actually short of Mg, we just don't supply our horses with the means to take it in & good old table salt, a good shake in the feed, is exactly what helps it. Also you can't really over salt, they'll just drink loads & wee it out.

Hmmm.. maybe I'll go back to sea salt perhaps.. She was on placid for ages and never made any difference sadly.