Calmers

Tempi

Visit site
I know this should be in 'Stable Yard' but il get more response in here!!

So as you all know im off to do the National Elementary Championship at the BRYDS Nationals on 15/16/17 August.

On the small (and i mean TINY) chance that i might get placed and have to do the mounted prize giving im going to need to give her an 'instant' calmer - something i can give which will calm her down in say half an hour for at least an hour.

Bearing in mind i can't knock her over the head with a broom and drag her into the prize giving..............
grin.gif

Also if my test is in the indoor (which knowing my luck it will be) il need to give her something (dressage legal) before i do my test too.............

So ideas please peeps, as i havent got a clue when it comes to calmers about whats good or even how much to give!

Claireg9

Visit site
alot of calmers i have found are rubbish. But i have had some success with Bach Rescue remody just squirt three or four squirts on her tounge and in half an hour to an hour they appear a lot less stressed!
Hope it works.

Tempi

Visit site
hmmmmmm not sure about the camomile, as shes sensitive on her muzzle and will probably start pulling odd faces!! (which i dont want!!)

Might get some rescue remedy.....

ruscara

Visit site
Equine America SoKalm. It comes in a syringe like a wormer, and worked a treat on my over-excitable gelding. Brilliant stuff!

BBs

Visit site
First I wondered if the calmers were for certain HHO members
wink.gif
however, now Ive realised it was for your Bloss I would say SOKalm as ive heard its had pretty good results
smile.gif

Good luck - I need the opposite lol - well not me personally, but Winnie does lol

Sarah1

Visit site
Global Herbs Magcalm - you can buy it in little sachets so you don't have to buy a big tub, it works wonders for our freaky TB!!!!
smile.gif

Tempi

Visit site
Well ive just purchased some Bachs Rescue Remedy (might keep that for myself!!!)

Will get some 'SoKalm' too me thinks........mayb i can give her both........................
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Shes calm as you like normally, but stabling overnight, no turnout and lots of excitment tends to blow her mind. She'l be fine if the test is outdoors, but indoor areanas shes never been in before tend to freak her out and its a hard enough test as it is, without her being difficult!!

Presentations aren't good for her (or me) - she wore a neck strap to the one at the winters and spent my whole time clinging onto it like a frightened child!! (she rears, broncs and jumps up and down poor woman giving out the prizes had to give mine to one of the helpers as she darent come to close to Bloss's wandering front legs
blush.gif
!!!!!) hence why id mayb like her to be at least a little calmer - will still be using a neck strap tho!!)
crazy.gif

Sarah1

Visit site
I do apologise, I've just looked on the Global Herbs website and it's 'instant stresscare' that is sold in sachets!
I have found all global herbs products to be brilliant so see no reason why the stresscare stuff won't work just as well as the Magcalm!

Tempi

Visit site
i use global herbs Skratch and Zephyr on her and they have done absolute wonders for her pollen allergy - going to order some sachets off them too
smile.gif
Mayb i can combine everything everyone suggests, she should chill out by then!!

Stasha22

Visit site
I've used Temperlax by Naf before travelling my lorry hating mare. I think it did help take the edge off her as she is alot worse when she hasn't had it.

Also gave it a few times whilst on box rest and it did seem to chill her out then too.

airedale

Visit site
Equine America syringe calmer - about £12. Works on VERY nutty pony to goto PC rallies and stops her standing on back legs when het up.
Dose is stated as '10' on the syringe but no info on how much for horse/pony. I gradually got it worked out that for a very hyper 12.3 I needed to give her 7 graduations about 1.5 hours before (they say 2 hrs before).

So if you need to get a quicker result then use the full 10.

Woman in my feed merchants also uses this and swears by it - and ironically the PC lot couldn't believe the difference between ponies behaviour one week and the next :))

Now if you want REAL calm also give a mini feed with a dose of valerian liquid calmer in it (like a handful of mix) at about 1 hr before.

I use this double whammy to get same pony thru the starting gate for XC as otherwise she just runs backwards on adrenalin and won't start (once you get her started then you need the brakes relined!!!!)

_jetset_

Visit site
I agree about SoKalm... how about trying her on it a couple of weeks before to assess what effects it has.

The other one is Defuse, I think it is by Supreme Products. You can give it them before a competition and it is like a thick treacle that you syringe in a couple of hours before (mind your white johds for this one)... I am sure it is legal because a friend used it on her show ponies when she took them to Wembley.

Rebecca xx

Sarah1

Visit site
She'll be so laid back she'll be horizontal! Hope you find something that works
Good luck for 15/16/17 August!