Calmers

C123

Visit site
Hi guys,

What calmers do you use for a spooky, nervous horse and have found good results with?
My ISH can get really tense when schooling and out competing!
Any advice and recommendations would be great.

P.S - I have tried NAF Magic powder

HeyMich

Visit site
I just used the Naf instant Magic syringes for the first time over the weekend. I don't want to have her on a calmer full time as she really doesn't need it, just for use in occasional stressful situations. She also has ulcers so I need to keep her anxiety levels down! The syringes seemed to work really well - horse was far less stressed and fidgety than she would normally have been. I just used half a syringe at a time so I wonder what effect a whole syringe would have!

I'm going to try travelling her by herself this evening (something that usually caused a huge amount of anxiety) so will again be using the syringes. I'll report back tomorrow with how it went!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Im currently trailing NAF Magic powder, take it you didnt get on with it? Its only been a week and judging by last nights hack its not 'kicked in' yet! Will be interested to follow this post.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I just used the Naf instant Magic syringes for the first time over the weekend. I don't want to have her on a calmer full time as she really doesn't need it, just for use in occasional stressful situations. She also has ulcers so I need to keep her anxiety levels down! The syringes seemed to work really well - horse was far less stressed and fidgety than she would normally have been. I just used half a syringe at a time so I wonder what effect a whole syringe would have!

I'm going to try travelling her by herself this evening (something that usually caused a huge amount of anxiety) so will again be using the syringes. I'll report back tomorrow with how it went!

What situations are you using it for other than the travel scenario tonight?

HeyMich

Visit site
What situations are you using it for other than the travel scenario tonight?

I took her to a 2 day clinic - our first time out at an event like this. Brave pants needed! We travelled both days with a neighbour's horse (who she doesn't know very well), there was a busy audience, refreshments table, gazebo, loud speakers etc, she was stabled somewhere new (usually out 24/7) - all very stressy things by themselves! She coped with it all like a pro, and I'm hoping it hasn't sparked off another bout of ulcers. Fingers crossed!

C123

Visit site

Good luck for tonight and let us know how you get on!

C123

Visit site
Im currently trailing NAF Magic powder, take it you didnt get on with it? Its only been a week and judging by last nights hack its not 'kicked in' yet! Will be interested to follow this post.

He has been on it 2 weeks and has had no effect on him

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Mine has been on it for five years. I took her off it twice, it took about 7-10 days for the effects to kick in the first time I took her off it. I put her back on it and noticed an improvement in behaviour over the same time period. A few months later took her off it again, again spooky behaviour that was stopped by putting her back on it again! I honestly think it takes time to get into the system, powder supplements always take a lot longer than liquid supplements to kick in. She's still spooky but I'd say there is about a 75% reduction in the spooky behaviour and she deescalates so much quicker than she used to, her spook would last for ages before and increase at times, now it lasts for a few seconds and she comes back down to earth much, much quicker.

I believe some supplements can take a month or longer to have any affect, hence there is usually a loading dose to speed things up. I'd say if you haven't noticed the difference by the end of your first tub it probably won't work for your horse.

HeyMich

Visit site
Good luck for tonight and let us know how you get on!

Sooo.... I travelled the stompy one last night by herself for the first time in aaagggeeeesssss! In company she's as solid as a rock, but by herself she's fidgety and anxious. I gave her half a syringe of Magic instant calmer, and guess what? She stomped for about 2 mins, then just settled in and travelled like a dream!

We had to stop at traffic lights (usually an occasion to dance a jig) and even dropped my son off at scouts on the way (I know, multi-tasking mother!), and she stood solid. She was a bit hot and sweaty when we arrived, but not nearly as bad as usual. We hacked for over an hour with another horse who she hasn't seen for a few years, so was understandably on her toes. On the way back, as soon as she was loaded she tap danced for about a minute, then just settled. Again, collected the boy from scouts, which meant parking outside the school hall for 10 mins and she didn't make a sound. I was gobsmacked!! When we got back home, it was the others in the field calling for her, she was as quiet as a lamb. Walked back into the field like she's just had a snooze in the stable.

So, in conclusion, with half a syringe of calmer, she was sooooo much better than expected. Still a bit fidgety, but not dancing the fandango the whole way. I would say that was a huge success! Off to buy more syringes to keep in the tack room for our next adventures... and now I know what works, there will be many, many more adventures planned!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Gosh you are braver than me with the stopping and waiting. I know they 'should' stand quietly on the trailer but i rush round like a loony to ensure i dont put them in that situation .. I know i need to and my head should tell me they would be fine and would behave but ten minutes .. good lord, id be a nervous wreck and drinking the calmer from the syringe myself, lol!

HeyMich

Visit site
Gosh you are braver than me with the stopping and waiting. I know they 'should' stand quietly on the trailer but i rush round like a loony to ensure i dont put them in that situation .. I know i need to and my head should tell me they would be fine and would behave but ten minutes .. good lord, id be a nervous wreck and drinking the calmer from the syringe myself, lol!

Well, the hubby didn't leave me much choice, and yes I did contemplate a shot of calmer myself! I think he was subtly pushing my boundaries, and in all honesty it was fine. Another little victory!! Could have been much worse but it wasn't. If the beast had been tap dancing I probably would have just driven forwards and backwards in the car park to keep her occupied. Cue even stranger looks from the other scout parents...