Calming down an overexcited canter!

tobiano1984

Visit site
After the success of last weekend when mad-ex-SJ-pony got his head down and came 5th in his first Intro dressage test (hurrah) we now need to move on to CANTER :eek:

A few months ago you couldn't even transition from walk to trot without much leaping, head tossing, plunging and airs-above-the-ground. Now almost 100% of the time he transitions beautifully up and down. We'd put cantering on the back burner, although out hacking he will canter fast, slow, in front, behind without any issue at all.

Now we're trying again in the school, and despite the lack of jumps he just goes crazy - anticipating, leaping, snatching at the reins, endless lead changes and interesting dance moves. His poor rider almost got whiplash today!

I think a lot of the problems stem from poor/heavy riding in the past, he came from a pretty unpleasant place and I've seen videos of them jumping him - massive half halts (by a man, he's 14hh!), fling over 1.30m spread, massive half halt again. He hated any contact when we first got him, but now is very consistent in walk and trot and out hacking - just canter sends him over the edge.

Can anyone suggest some exercises to get him cantering calmly and consistently without all the palaver?

vickyb

Visit site
Have you tried without a bit? Just a thought, but if he associates the school with being chucked in the gob (I know just the sort of half halt you mean) perhaps that might take away that trigger. Apologies if you have tried this already.

tobiano1984

Visit site
Have you tried without a bit? Just a thought, but if he associates the school with being chucked in the gob (I know just the sort of half halt you mean) perhaps that might take away that trigger. Apologies if you have tried this already.

We did actually try him in a Dually halter and he was a lot better - so not sure whether to do that for a while before putting a bit back in or whether it won't make any difference. He's in a rubber Nathe bit now which has helped a lot in walk and trot but the mental issues/association is still there in canter...

SpringArising

Visit site
Have you tried giving him all the rein and going into two point when asking/cantering? I have a similar problem and find if there's just no pressure to fight against it helps a lot.

tobiano1984

Visit site
Have you tried giving him all the rein and going into two point when asking/cantering? I have a similar problem and find if there's just no pressure to fight against it helps a lot.

This is what the rider does out hacking and he's fine (although can take up a contact too) it's just that in the school he's pretty volatile and if you go into two point with no contact you're likely to come off as he plunges around! When you give the contact he doesn't actually go forward or tank off - I'd almost find that easier to deal with but with this one if you drop the contact he goes nowhere, and if you ask him forward with body/leg/voice he just starts to perform his moves :)

dianchi

Visit site
Just to cover all bases and sorry if you did mention on previous thread? Regular phyio? Heavy weight rider and associated issue can take a while to be put right usually regular treatments till all issues solved.

tobiano1984

Visit site
Just to cover all bases and sorry if you did mention on previous thread? Regular phyio? Heavy weight rider and associated issue can take a while to be put right usually regular treatments till all issues solved.

He's seen an osteopath and didn't have any major issues apart from pulled muscles underneath (can't remember which ones) from jumping big spreads. Also seen dentist, no out of the ordinary problems but scarring in his cheeks from past problems.

tobiano1984

Visit site
Whats he like on the lunge in the school?

Horrendous! Just goes at 100mph around and around flat out, oblivious to any attempts to slow him down! I might have another go and see if we can chill him out, as being able to lunge in canter with side reins would be great but I was always a bit worried he'd do himself damage careering about!

joulsey

Visit site
Horrendous! Just goes at 100mph around and around flat out, oblivious to any attempts to slow him down! I might have another go and see if we can chill him out, as being able to lunge in canter with side reins would be great but I was always a bit worried he'd do himself damage careering about!

Have you ever tried any raised ground poles, to get him to think and slow down, or does he just blitz through them as well?

I think it would be worth getting him cantering on the lunge sensibly, getting used to voice commands etc and then go from there, cantering with a rider on etc.. If you're struggling, is there any body in your local area who can give lunge lessons?

Sounds like he just needs taking completely back to the basics

tobiano1984

Visit site
Have you ever tried any raised ground poles, to get him to think and slow down, or does he just blitz through them as well?

I think it would be worth getting him cantering on the lunge sensibly, getting used to voice commands etc and then go from there, cantering with a rider on etc.. If you're struggling, is there any body in your local area who can give lunge lessons?

Sounds like he just needs taking completely back to the basics

He does trot poles/raised ground poles fine in trot but haven't tried it in canter, a large jump doesn't slow him down so not sure if poles would haha!

I can persevere with lunging, providing he doesn't do himself any harm bombing around.

DiNozzo

Visit site
Loose school him?
Take the pressure off, and allow him to form positive associations in school whilst cantering- he isn't likely to damage himself, and he doesnt have a rider on to damage either so it could work?

Luck of the devil

Visit site
If the rider can't stay on while in 2point and no contact I'd consider getting a jockey in to help? They would have a stronger 2point position and would have a better chance of sticking to a rocket-type canter.I wouldn't worry about speed at first (as long as he isn't falling over rocketing around corners!) and work on transitions that don't involve freak outs. Once he knows that the rider isn't gobbing him etc get them to bring their position back to a light seat then eventually to a deeper seat with contact. As he gains trust in the rider he will probably steady himself, a little bit at a time.
Good luck!

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
I have just conquered something very similar by mainly not cantering in the school for almost a year but I nailed it by using turn on the forehand first and then canter within 3 strides. the turn on the forehand gets the inside hind under the horse and strengthens the outside rein then it's asking for a canter transition on a circle then back to walk again when the balance starts to go. Os was long, low, light and engaged with no pressure or tension.

no pressure, not hammered home, didn't make a big deal of it, just one of those things to do in the school and we went straight back to our trot work again.

millikins

Visit site
If he's happy to canter calmly out hacking, why not just forget the school and do your schooling in a field? Reintroduce the school later.