Calming supplements

RachelB

Visit site
Do you mean for a mare-ish mare or just generally? My friend's mare would be mad if she wasn't on NAF Oestress, calms her down a treat. Generally, mine was on NAF Easy Going which did work (took her off it for a few weeks to experiment, she went crazy again!). Equine America So Kalm is also very good.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Nupafeed - expensive initially but £100 layout will last 4 months once you have fed the loading dose. Worked brillantly on my mare and evidently used on 55 of the horse competing at Badminton this year.

Thought it didn't make a difference and that my mare had grown up so took her off it. !0 days two weeks later I realised it made a huge difference as all her old behavior resurfaced! It work for me.

rosedewar

Visit site
NAF Magic for me too - started trying it after reading about magnesium supplements as my boy gets a bit silly when the grass is coming through. Took a wee while to work out the right dose but it stopped him spooking so much and so exuberantly (!), and stopped him looking for stuff to spook at when out hacking as well ;-)

I thought I'd be able to take him off it after the spring grass, but that didn't work - he got spooky again, so he's still on it.

I used it at a higher dose for a comp we went to recently and he was really good - didn't spook at the flowers or anything!

Governor

Visit site
I use Hormonise for my gelding and it certainly works for him so i'd expect it would work very well for mares if its a hormone related behaviour.

A friend told me magnesium calmers aren't effective on mares but to what extent this is true I don't have a clue!

JaneyB

Visit site
It's for a mare yes, not so much mare'ish behaviour but she can be quite het up and tense at competitions and when out hacking

Suzy

Visit site
My mare seems to be responding well to Equifeast Cool Calm and Collected. She is naturally quite suspicious of life and this manifests itself as spooky nappiness. She is definitely better on this calmer, and much, much worse off it.

JaneyB

Visit site
Ok, there's been a lot of talk about the benefits of magnesium recently. What about supplements to be give before competing for tension?

appennea

Visit site
Valerian is supposed to be excellent. My horse is on box rest at the moment and is suspiciously quiet on Hilton Herbs Rest and Recover that contains this. Have a look at their site - they have loads on offer.

JaneyB

Visit site
Hi Kate,
How much before a competition do you give it and how long does it last? Does it actually have calming effects or does it deal with the internal body side of things when the horse is stressed? Also, how long does it last for?

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Hi Jane
If you gave 50ml about an hour or so before travelling to a comp - it works on settling the digestive tract - it ensures acid levels remain balanced and stops the horse tucking up/stressing and other side effects that gastric acid causes - Our motto is "don't mask it" ie - if your horse is fizzy/stressy at a comp it may be due to raised gastric acid levels which unsettle them - so deal with that problem rather than mask it with calmers... we've had a lot of people report that their horses have been transformed and they are able to work them better.
Kate x