calming supplements?

pippixox

Visit site
Has anyone used any calming supplements, diffusers, tablets, 'shirts'?
Is there any science behind them at all?

Having got 2 rescue collie in 4 months, I have been very busy getting them used to home life and the stress it sometimes causes them. I realize most short cuts don't work and I'm happy to take time. But at the same time, if any of these products actually helped take the edge off I feel there is no harm in that! But of course I don't simply want to dope them! I love their active personalities!!

Sky has some separation anxiety- she would howl if we even went upstairs when I first got her. But little by little over 4 months this has greatly improved. Gradually building up the time.

New dog Asher is about 6 months old. He was badly abused by a man, and when he is nervous he barks and sometimes snaps at the thing that scares him. My husband is sometimes a trigger, but not always. He is a bit grumpy about being barked at. Even though it is not all the time and in less than 2 weeks he has improved massively. Teaching quiet command and to move away from him if he feels scared.

But if there was something to help reassure or calm him in the house I would love to try it. Husband works 7-7 anyway so not around much and he can be fine a lot of the time.

Is it a complete waste of money!
Obviously I am not trying to replace training and time, just help more

Thistle

Visit site
The DAP diffusers work with some dogs but not others-they didnt work for my old collie but might be worth a try?

The most common trade name is Adaptil, you can also get collars and tablets from the same brand, the diffuser is like a plug in air freshener, it produced pheromones similar to those a bitch produces to soothe her pups.

satinbaze

Visit site
Thunder shirt is excellent for anxiety. It also comes with a money back guarantee if it doesn't work.

pippixox

Visit site
I may give the shirt a go then. It's hard as there are some glowing reviews of products and some bad ones. Although I know every dog is different and some people do expect some kind of miricle huge change

satinbaze

Visit site
I may give the shirt a go then. It's hard as there are some glowing reviews of products and some bad ones. Although I know every dog is different and some people do expect some kind of miricle huge change

Just make sure you get the right size. They need to be a very snug fit so I advise buying from somewhere they will let you try it on the dog rather than online. Good luck

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
My sister used a thunder shirt on her rescue EBT when she got him, with great results. I think you can use bandages to give the same,or similar results. Maybe be worth a google. I'm on my phone,otherwise I would have a look. I can't share links when I'm on my phone as I'm slightly inept!;)

druid

Visit site
Adaptil and thunder shirts as mentioned. I find Life Data Labs Breeders Formula very good for calming (I've used it and Vetspec Calm and focused, and the chudleys herbal one) - it contains magnesium and tryptophan

Britestar

Visit site
Other things you could try are adaptil tablets, zylkene or nutracalm.

I've used the nutracalm on a collie that is scared of thunder and it was successful.