Calmsden first Be100? Or wait till next season?

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Hi guys,
I'm so pleased, I'll soon be the proud owner of my first ever horsebox! :)

For one reason or another though I'm not going to be able to compete/event again until the end of September. To tide me through this gap, and the disappointment of missing a summer of competition I've been thinking about what events would be best to end the season on.

We've completed two 80s as neither of us had evented before. The height is fine, last dressage was 25. So overall I'm happy to move up now. My aim for this year was to get up to be100. But obviously not being able to compete will affect this. I'm thinking of doing Dauntsey, Calmsden and Broadway in October. Its a lot in one month, do I move up to 90 at Dauntsey and then stay at that level for the other two. What's Calmsden 100 like could I plan to do that? I can get to calmsden to school over the summer. I like a challenge, and my mare is pretty easy cross country, but we haven't competed at 100 level. Am I silly even to be tempted to try the 100 this year?

We school 110 show jumps at home and will plan on getting out xc schooling a number of times before October. Will this be enough? Or do I need to take a step back and just concentrate on be90 for the time being. When I've walked Aston and Broadway the 100 has looked pretty tempting, but I'm sure its a different matter actually competing at that level? Am I being over ambitious and unreasonable?

Any advice gratefully received.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
I would wait until next year to be honest and have some fun at 90 this year. What's the rush to step up so quickly? From what I've heard and seen (although never been round it, only did the BE90 and that was hard enough!) Calmsden isn't a first timer course.

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Over ambitious then?

whether its 90 or 100, I just can't wait to get out competing! :)

Thanks guys, Calmsden doesn't seem to be talked about often, didn't know whether it was an easy or tough one. I had heard it was big but with few real questions?

I think we'll stay at 90 though :)

rotters13

Visit site
Calmsden is mainly tricky as it is VERY hilly with questions. Step into water, two parts out of the water, coffin complex, brush sknnies in a dip etc etc. I wouldn't do it for a first time prenovice! Have you thought about BCA in September? That is lovely but may be a bit too soon.

I think I wrote a report for Calmsden Be100 if you have a look trhough my old posts but not sure. :)

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
I could do BCA but I was hoping for one run at 90 prior to doing a 100. Is it a nice course? I'm pretty sure if we went to a 100 tommorow we'd get round safely, but want to make sure I don't over face us both. Hence lots of extra xc schooling to do first. Can you xc school at BCA?

noname

Visit site
I'm planning the same events as you for october. We must be fairly local.

Also thinking of moving up to 100 at the end of the season.
I have heard calmsden is not suitable for first timers and as its probably the last run I will do it as a 90 with broadway as a 100 so hopefully the season ends confidently. Will maybe do a 100 in sept but would only do calmsden 100 if he was flying!

Could always do an unaff 100 like solihull which is a smaller course.

LittleGreyMare

Visit site
I did Calmsden as my horses 2nd 100 (but 1st that year) and got around with one stop. In hindsight I should have done 90 as was a big step up!

alfirules

Visit site
Im glad to see people think it's a harder course because I went schooling there recently after their Pony Club event ( think it was pretty much same as the BE) and thought even the 90 course looked big with tricky combinations, and many fences are on the hill and don't look very inviting!