Camera for hacking

JustKickOn

Visit site
Afternoon all

Having had some complete tosspot drive at us this morning, accelerating towards us when I waved asking them to slow down, I'm going to buy a camera to fit on my jacket or hat. Didn't get the plates of the vehicle :( they were going that fast and I'm short sighted that I didn't get a chance. I did however let off a series of expletives. So lucky our horses are saints on the roads and were ok.

This isn't the first idiot driver we have encountered and quite frankly I've had enough.

So, please can you recommend a variety of camera that attach to either horse, rider jacket or riding hat. Good quality MP, good memory and costs (and links if possible?!). Ideally I don't want to spend any more than about £60-70, however I am willing to save up a bit extra if needed.

IIRC, Oz (cremedemonthe) had some info on some? And there was a chap who hacked out with his lovely chestnut horse who he called Sausage and shared his hacking videos, but I cannot remember the username!?

Many thanks :)

TTK

Visit site
I'm interested too, as I am in the same boat with drivers locally who have the speed of Jensen Button and the skill set of Fred Flintstone. I've narrowed it down to a Drift on the grounds of their cameras being good quality and light weight and they apparently don't make you look like a Clanger as a GoPro does.

Feedback from users of cameras would be really helpful - thanking you in advance.

abes mum

Visit site
I got a good camera from sport-cam I think? Very reasonable at 80 and it works well. I do a lot of carriage driving on busy roads and wouldn't be without it now.

henmother

Visit site
I wear a go pro and don't feel like a clanger :) i wear it on my helmet but looking into an alternative harness as I got told off after my first training ride , oops .
Footage is great but I wish I could mute it !
Bought as a gift as I agree they are expensive .

JustKickOn

Visit site
Thanks all.

A go pro would be nice however they're just way out of budget and I also think they're slightly overrated for what they cost.

Visited a motor X today, a lot of the riders had cameras/videos on their helmets, seemed to be popular, I could find out what they were if you are interested

Yes please fg, of you could that would be great :)

I've had a look at a few and DogCam do one which looks reasonably good! If anyone has one of these I'd be interested in your thoughts :)

Mrs G

Visit site
Hubby got a Sport DV, for about £35 on eBay. He got his for cycling but the quality of the video is very good.

EmmaB

Visit site
I got one off amazon called sunco, £80 and extremely similar to the go pro and comes with all sorts of clips and waterproof case. Good quality it records in 1080p which is hd. I attached mine to a velcro band and wear it on the front of my helmet.

Oh and I took it hunting and it recorded for three hours and only ran out of battery as I was playing the vids back on the way home :)

JustKickOn

Visit site
Thank you all!! I shall be researching tonight. EmmaB yours sounds fab! We often do fun rides in summer so would be nice to record those too!

I knew you lot would come up with the goods :)

FairyLights

Visit site
http://www.cam-equestrian.co.uk/ I bought one of these a short while ago, and oh, how courtious drivers and cyclists have become! Wonderful. About 3 and half hourrs of battery life. you do need to buy the little card which has the chip in it separately though. sorry cant remember its name. the camera costs about 50£. I also bought a GPS tracker off them for £21. it takes a phone sim card and if I fall off and get injured my family or emergency services can find where I am via GPS if they ring it if I dont come home

Last edited:

SuperH

Visit site
I've got the one from the Hack Safe Company. It has been great, the picture is clear in most weather types (riding into low sun obviously isn't the best picture) and it is good enough to view number plates on the footage. It is easy to use and turn on/off while mounted. I've used it in the rain and snow with no trouble. I never have the sound turned on so I can't comment on that (don't want to record myself talking rubbish and singing to the horse!). I would recommend them without hesitation - but this weekend it has stopped working, no idea why so I will be contacting them tomorrow to see if it can be resolved. I hope it can as I now feel 'naked' when going out without it!

TTK

Visit site
Many thanks to everyone for such useful information. I'm going to be busy checking all the ideas you have supplied. Happy Hacking!