Camping/caravans/staying at Burghley?

Thistle

Visit site
B and a group of friends would like to stay at Burghley for the horse trials in Sept.

The link from H&H says only caravans, no camping or horseboxes. Are there any campsite/somewhere the lorry could park.

I guess theer would probably ideally be 2 lorries each with 4 in.

We have a lorry with living, however we don't have a caravan.

Has anyone stayed there before?

Bella3puff

Visit site
We were only talking about this the other day.... Pete lives near and he said how much cheaper it would be to park the caravan at a nearby park but can't see that taking lorries... will asked pete if he can think of anywhere

Super_starz

Visit site
We camped last year in Rutland Camping & Caravaning, it was a nice place and has a website. Not sure if you could take a wagon though!

nessie1288

Visit site
What about hiring a caravan? There are several firms if you go on poniesuk.org/summernews.htm they would be in the right area as that is held at Newark, could be pricey but would surely be more fun for them to be on site.

meardsall_millie

Visit site
Would def. recommend staying onsite (but certainly no lorries/tents allowed). The caravan park is on Burghley Golf Course. The club house opens for food/bar, etc, and there's a small 'shop' on site as well. Best of all you get to enter and leave the showground through the estate, so missing all the event traffic, and then get special parking next to Lion Bridge.

We've done it for the last 5 or 6 years and love it. Sadly won't be going this year.

Gamebird

Visit site
I'm sure you've thought of the obvious ie. if you stay offsite you've got to drive in each day, presumably in one of the wagons, which is going to be quite expensive to get in and park and not much fun battling through the queues.

Golden_Match_II

www.event-stablebarn.weebly.com
Hoping to camp over too, as might be balloted for the PUK mini eventing thingumy, which sounds fun! This info is all so helpful!
laugh.gif

Bella3puff

Visit site
I have stayed on the burghley caravan site at the golf course and you still have to get in your car to go to the site... Ok you can walk across the XC course but its a good walk... we met up with loads of friend and we all had parking next to each other so thats great fun.... but if she is going with a loads of friends finding parking within 15/20 mins or so is really not a stress cus you will need a car anyway.

Thistle

Visit site
I expect they will have a car or too between them, will have to investigate caravan hire, at least it's the end of the holiday season so theer should be some available.

We sold our old PC camp caravan to some frriends so could possiby borrow it back, hopefully it's still roadworthy as they will have taken it to camp.

stevieetaylor

Visit site
we have stayed at nearby sacrewell farm for the last 4 years its just on the A1 junction up from Burghley its really nice and has lovely facilities. quite cheap and i'm sure if you ring they may accomodate you in a lorry

it takes about 10 min to drive in each day to the event.

smile.gif

Joss

Visit site
Thistle, I think it is Deeping Caravans who provide a huge number of caravans for Burghley. You can rent them & they will deliver them direct to your allocated spot on the caravan site.

I had heard that they are not using the golf course for the caravan park this year due to the absolute carnage caused in the mud last year. Not sure if this is correct & not sure where it is instead.

Its a brilliant holiday staying at Burghley but not necessarily a cheap option as you have to purchase membership as well as the caravan site pitch. You also need to buy passes if you have more than 1 car per caravan so read the small print.

Sounds all a bit strict but because of their attention to detail it is a very nice place to stay - I think in the region of 600 caravans are normally there.

Gamebird

Visit site
Don't want to make you too jealous but I lived in Stamford for a couple of years and used to walk in each day
grin.gif
. Now I live a couple of hours away if I go I just get up at stupid o'clock instead to beat the traffic
mad.gif

Fiona

Visit site
Any suggestions for a nice self catering cottage, B&B or hotel (dog friendly), as OH and I hoping to head over this year.

We are looking for a new experience after many years of Badminton, and four years Bramham.

Can't wait, so would love to get something booked
smile.gif

Fiona