Can’t catch my horse from the field

Misty 2020

Visit site
Since moving my horse to a new yard I cannot catch my horse from the field . She keeps running away from me . The yard ended up leaving the head collar on her as a result. I had no problem in the old yard catching her .

J&S

Visit site
She is unsettled, more grass, new friends, doesn't want to leave the new herd, any amount of reasons that one would expect to resolve in a short time.

Keira 8888

Visit site
Why don’t you try some reverse psychology. Go into the field and casually walk around the perimeter. Ignore her. And then (if you have the time!) just sit quietly and see if she gets nosey enough to come and see what you’re doing. Maybe arm yourself with a polo or half an apple so if she does come and investigate what you’re doing you can reward her! Horses are nosy old things and she won’t quite understand why you are entering the field and not asking anything of her. Curiosity will get the better if her I’m sure! Good luck x

Adoni123

Visit site
Something that has worked for me before is too try catch with the head collar blatantly in your hand, lead rope not secured to head collar. Drop the head collar in her direction, she may let you approach for a treat? Then get the rope around her neck and take it from there. Worked for me and could nudge them over with the rope to the head collar! Once the rope is around mine have usually given up.

tiahatti

Visit site
She is probably finding life in the herd quite exciting. I had a similar experience with a previous mare who was fine after a few days having got used to the new gang she was with.