Can’t find a share. ?

pistolpete

Visit site
I’ve been looking for a share since April. My boy is retired and I really don’t want to buy another until I know what’s happening with him. He could end up long term retired. So I’ve paid to advertise. I’ve asked on social media. I asked all my friends. Tack shop ads next in the list. Really just want to hack. It’s so hard! Any tips? How did you find your sharers or shares. Handsome retired pony pic for attention!

Attachments

• E0B18E1E-F187-4E5C-A828-22A31F6EBAC0.jpeg
    E0B18E1E-F187-4E5C-A828-22A31F6EBAC0.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 61

IrishMilo

Visit site
I have two - one was through word of mouth and the other is a pony I used to own so already knew the owner.

Posting an ad on your local horse groups on FB is definitely your best bet if you don’t have friends’ horses to pinch (which is what I did before these two!)

ihatework

Visit site
I’d start off with asking what the owner wants and needs from a sharer, then assess if you are happy to align with that.

Then general quirks, vices, traffic, medical issues etc.

Fjord

Visit site
Exciting! I'd ask what chores they expect and what they are happy for you to do? Any limitations on workload etc.

ArklePig

Visit site
Fingers crossed! I looked for a share for ages and then all of a sudden my share boy popped up (in avatar) and I've never been happier!

Be clear on costs you're expected to cover, watch the owner ride first, ask about lessons- your instructor or theirs (if you think you might like to have lessons), contingency plans for times you're ill or on holidays- for example, does the owner have a friend who could do the horse or would you have to pay the yard for services? I think once you ride the horse and like it, then the most important thing is that you like the owner or can get along with them!

Let us know how you get on :)