Can a horse see in the dark with a fly mask on??....

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk
Might sound daft, but can a horse see in the dark with a black mesh fly mask on??
tongue.gif

evsj

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yea, that makes sence thank you.
Never really thought Id even use a fly mask in the winter, but my boy has got a bad eye, so he needs some extra protection!

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I'd rather not leave it on at night but in this case you have reason too - shouldn't cause him any harm, take it he's stabled??

GTs

Visit site
If your horse has a problem with it's eye a patch is what you should use........

[ QUOTE ]
It shouldn't make much difference - the mesh is so close to the eyes that the vision focuses beyond it anyway. Does that make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your point makes sense but is incorrect - the mesh restricts the amount of light that enters the eye, in the daylight it is fine as it is so bright, at night when it is dark, limiting the amount of light now means your horse has to strain to see.

Dogbetty141

Visit site
its better that is has to strain to see than to get something in its eye whilst rubbing a sore eye. I will be giving it a go tonight as my horse has had sarcoids on his eye which were removed with radiation and a few times a week his eye gets weepy and sore and he loves to rub it so i am going to put his fly mask on tonight to see if it helps him.

GTs

Visit site
That seems rather foolish - you now have a horse who will likely rub it with his fly mask on. If your fly masks in the UK are anything like what we have out here, he will cause considerable damage to himself.

Patches are really not that expensive, especially if you say your horse is in that situation a couple times a week.

evsj

Visit site
Horses vision is not great in the dark anyway and they rely on their other senses to help them 'see' - hearing, touch etc. I doubt if a stabled horse would suffer too much from wearing a fly mask for these reasons. I would be more concerned that the mask might might catch on something.
Hope that his eye gets better soon.
crazy.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
We leave fly masks on day and night in the summer, all 10 horses wear them and none of them have injured themselves or seem bothered by them.
They are always still in the right place come morning.
Horses can see better than us in the dark but dont have UV night vision so when its pitch black I very much doubt a fly mask will make a lot of difference to their vision to be honest.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Horses really don't use thier eyes like we do.... I know blind horses that complete sj & xc as well as dressage etc.... Thier other senses are far better then ares... He won't be banding his head because i hope he has spacal awerness.... whiskers... sound and touch! Eyes don't do much good in the dark any ho!

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Horses adapt just like all other animals and humans... horses can't see the jump in the last stride anyho... With a trust in the rider, and at a right peace (so striding it right) Theres no need for eyes! And 'scary fillers' dont look so scary any more!

GTs

Visit site
There is a big difference to not seeing the jump the last stride and not seeing the jump at all. Blind horses can not jump, much like a blind person can not drive a car.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Blind horses can not jump, much like a blind person can not drive a car.

[/ QUOTE ] Hmm comparin horse with humans isn't best thing.
crazy.gif
.. I don't quite know how he did it all but i know in the buyin of this horse for sj/xc/rc etc etc when five stage vetted it was found out he was blind... but he some how cleared courses during trial.
blush.gif

Thistle

Visit site
I use a fly mask all year on a horse with uveitis - vets advice. She comes in approx 6pm so is out in the dark for a while. In summer she is out at night (again vet advice) The www.horsemask.com masks have removable eye bubbles so you can treat the bad eye differently.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blind horses can not jump, much like a blind person can not drive a car.

[/ QUOTE ] Hmm comparin horse with humans isn't best thing.
crazy.gif
.. I don't quite know how he did it all but i know in the buyin of this horse for sj/xc/rc etc etc when five stage vetted it was found out he was blind... but he some how cleared courses during trial.
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It could well be blind in one eye - horses do rather well blind in one eye, but it is very different than being totally blind.

Bess

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Horses really don't use thier eyes like we do.... I know blind horses that complete sj & xc as well as dressage etc.... Thier other senses are far better then ares... He won't be banding his head because i hope he has spacal awerness.... whiskers... sound and touch! Eyes don't do much good in the dark any ho!

[/ QUOTE ]
Surely not, I'm with you here GTs, blind horses doing sj and xc that's got to be a joke.
frown.gif

GTs

Visit site
I think she got the wrong end of the stick - unfortunately she seems to have done that quite a lot recently. She will learn though.

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk
Hi All,

Thank you for all your input.
To report back, I brought my horse in last night about 6pm, so he'd been out in the dark for a few hours and his eye was worse!!!! I think the mask had just been rubbing on his bad eye all day! Think Ill put one of them funny bubble masks on my chrinbo list!! x

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
GT- I think thats rather rude and out of order.... I was saying it how it was im not asking you to believe it.... i have a five stage vetting certificate thats all i need. And the point was horses don't need thier eyes like humans, and being in a mask at night won't effect him... millions of horses have them on stabled or out during the night winter or summer.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
And the point was horses don't need thier eyes like humans

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is wrong - put a blind fold on your horse and see how he/she does.

GTs

Visit site
There is no way a totally blind horse can jump - no if ands or buts. I would also like to learn what the purpose of blindfolding a horse before a training session?

Seems like total twaddle to me.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
I'm not having a CR agrument!!
blush.gif
I do natural horsemanship training so yes blinding a horse came up in a session... just like half a million strange things that happens to stretch the understanding between horse and rider to its limits.
grin.gif
Ha ha one demo had a big hat with moving ears! Who'd of thought....
crazy.gif