Can a newborn foal survive this weather outside?

Rosie112

Visit site
The foal was born day before yesterday all day yesterday we tried to get her into the stable first we couldn’t catch her then when we finally caught her and led her out of the field she was walking fine but as soon as we got to the stable door she refused to go in and starting panicking I got dragged all across the pavement and I couldn’t let go because the rope was wrapped tightly around my hand (lesson learned) lucky my friend was there and stopped her now I have 3 broken fingers a broken toe and gashes on my knees and elbows 3 of us tried to pull her into the stable but she pulled and pulled until her head collar came off she’s a 16hh gypsy cob this is her first baby and normally she lives outside all year round which is why she won’t go into the stable it’s very windy and rainy she ran back into the field normally she isn’t normally like this she’s very friendly and will follow u around the field she’s 9 years old we didn’t even know she was pregnant because we don’t have any stallions we pin pointed it to when she escaped last year this is a very horsey part of the country and there are lots of horses and riders she must of found a stallion we just thought she was getting fat from all the hay and treats never in our wildest dreams did we think she was pregnant also how are we meant to tame the foal if the mother won’t let us near this is the first foal ever born here and the first foal I’ve ever seen in real life it’s currently 6 degrees Celsius outside I expect it will get colder tonight

Leo Walker

Visit site
Have you got any experienced help? It sounds like you are out of your depth at the minute. Its not ideal but yes they can survive outside in this weather, so long as they are kept dry for at least the first month or so. Is there shelter in the field? If you could get some experienced help to get the foal into the stable the mare will follow, but dragging her about and getting yourself hurt isnt the way to do it.

You do need to be able to handle the mare and foal to make sure everything is ok at least and that the foal is warm enough. Have they had a vet check? And whereabouts are you?

Rosie112

Visit site
Have you got any experienced help? It sounds like you are out of your depth at the minute. Its not ideal but yes they can survive outside in this weather, so long as they are kept dry for at least the first month or so. Is there shelter in the field? If you could get some experienced help to get the foal into the stable the mare will follow, but dragging her about and getting yourself hurt isnt the way to do it.

You do need to be able to handle the mare and foal to make sure everything is ok at least and that the foal is warm enough. Have they had a vet check? And whereabouts are you?
There isn’t any shelter in the field but there is a huge oak tree in the centre of the field and lots ignored bushes and shrubs my dad has experience with horses he came and couldn’t get her in and the vet checked them that morning and she was fine came right up to us but for some reason now she’s changed her mind and decided she doesn’t want her foal to be touched and she doesn’t want to come to us anymore when we aproach she sort of shields it with her body then if we get even closer she’ll take off running

gallopingby

Visit site
If she's a gypsy cob she'll probably be used to living outside and unless its exceptionally wet and windy they will be fine as long as the mare has plenty of milk and is feeding OK. Its quite common for maiden mares to become protective of their foals in the first few days. You will obviously have to handle the foal at some point but I would be inclined to leave them in peace for a few days and then hopefully the mare will come round. If the vet thinks she's fine then I wouldn't worry for now. If you keep chasing her round the field you'll upset her more and this won't help the foal or her milk supply.

Rosie112

Visit site
If she's a gypsy cob she'll probably be used to living outside and unless its exceptionally wet and windy they will be fine as long as the mare has plenty of milk and is feeding OK. Its quite common for maiden mares to become protective of their foals in the first few days. You will obviously have to handle the foal at some point but I would be inclined to leave them in peace for a few days and then hopefully the mare will come round. If the vet thinks she's fine then I wouldn't worry for now.
But the vet Came before all the rain 😰 he did say the foal had a good coat luckily it stopped raining and the sun is out I don’t know about foals I was just worried because it’s a newborn I checked on them this morning and the foal was nursing fine I still couldn’t get close tho

Rosie112

Visit site
If she's a gypsy cob she'll probably be used to living outside and unless its exceptionally wet and windy they will be fine as long as the mare has plenty of milk and is feeding OK. Its quite common for maiden mares to become protective of their foals in the first few days. You will obviously have to handle the foal at some point but I would be inclined to leave them in peace for a few days and then hopefully the mare will come round. If the vet thinks she's fine then I wouldn't worry for now. If you keep chasing her round the field you'll upset her more and this won't help the foal or her milk supply.
I honestly was expecting to find a dead foal that was frozen stiff as soon as I woke up this morning I thought “OMG the foal” put my wellies on and ran out but it was still alive standing next to its mum

Leo Walker

Visit site
If they have shelter hopefully the mare will take the foal under it. The concern with new foals is that they arent waterproof when they are newborn and its been horribly wet and windy. Just keep an eye on them and make sure mum is looking after them both and going under the shelter when necessary.

riversideeu

Visit site
I had a warmblood mare who would not tolerate being stabled she just got very stressed and then got colic so I just bought foal turnout rugs and kept her foals dry that way. The foals learned where it was dry and took themselves off for a lie down leaving mum in the rain. Not ideal but the best solution and the foals were fine as they kept dry and warm in their rugs. Cob foals are usually born quite woolly which should help.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

{138171}

Visit site
Such a lier! You did have a stallion and you claim on facebook he has been stolen. This mare was in tge same field as you have akready said that