Can a random 'routine' affect horses?

samsaccount

Visit site
I am just wondering if a random routine could have a negative affect on the horse?
Just the person who keeps her horse with me seems to keep her horse in one week, she is turned for a few days, in a day or so, back out to stay on a night, and so on and so forth.

eg - wasn't stabled the night before last night, was stabled last night but is not yet stabled tonight and since it is nearly 11pm i don't think she will be brough in.

Just wondering that because she is sometimes left out and sometimes stabled, whether it would have a negative affect on the horse at all? Just curious about it that is all as my lad has a set routine (out at about 6am ish, in bed and munching his tea at roughly the same time on a night).

Just wondering if it is ok to have a random routine such as that or if it is best to stick to, either out every night or in every night (give or take a night or so here or there).

Opinions please, thanks

edited as i cannot spell

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think routine is good but doesnt have to be as strict as some people seem to adhere to IMO.

I wouldnt bring my horse in one week, then not the next though - thats a bit weird. I do however bring mine in 1 night occassionally if I have a show early the next day for example and it doesnt seem to bother them. Same with feed times, I usually try to feed them at the same times but sometimes its just not pratical. But luckily mine all live out so its not such a big problem.

I think its best to stick to a routine but its hardly going to kill a horse with a change, however I think a horse is more secure with one!

Tia

Visit site
Horses prefer routine.....however they get used to randomness. Not a big deal generally for most horses.

siennamum

Visit site
In the wild horses have NO routine, we suffer from the misconception that they love routine, in fact they become dependent upon our routines.
I think it's unfair to get a horse used to a fimr time for dinner and then change it, I would also not treat horses in a group differently to one another.
I wouldn't stress hough about having a strict routine for it's own sake, if the horse is happy then it's shouldn't be a problem.

halo320

Visit site
i dont really have a routine, more of an order. my ponies know when its time to get fed wen i finally sweep the yard and its dark outside but i can go up and see them with a difference of up to 4 hours each day. one thing i cant do is leave them out any longer than 3-4pm because as it starts to get dark the old horse waits at the gate and the youngsters usually join him. i dont like leaving them expecting. but they dont bother too much what time im up in the morning or evening

filly190

Visit site
I think the feeding would concern me more rather than the routine of stable in or out. By the nature of your post, it sounds like the poor horse does not get fed correctly and the digestive system would surely suffer from this.

Fairynuff

Visit site
My OAPs have set up a routine for me and woe betide me if I dont stick to it! I dont need an alarm clock to get me out of bed-Lepre is the official waker-upper. He starts with a gentle tapping on his door at 6.45 sharp. If the bedroom light isnt on by 7, the tapping gets louder, this activates Doodles the donk who has a muffled bray.If Im not down by 7.30, they all join in. They allow me 30 mins for breakfast and at 8 they expect to be turned out. By 11am (depending on weather) they are lined up to come in. The feeding routine is very strict and I get looks of disgust if Im late. What kills me is, if its raining or a real horrible day-there is silence, they have a long lie and dont make any encouraging noises to get me downstairs.Ooh how I love rainy days, Im allowed an extra half hour in bed! They have a summer routine worked out for me too!
Your friend seems a bit hit and miss but so long as her horse is happy...! Is she the one with the padlock? Mairi.
smile.gif

samsaccount

Visit site
Filly are you concerned at what she is fed or how she is fed?

Sounds like your horses have it sussed Mairi! Yes she is indeed the one with the padlock. Her horse seems to be more moody than normal recently though.

SpruceRI

Visit site
Mine are the same as MagicMelon's. They mostly live out all the time but if I've got a Show the next day then one of them is stabled. It doesn't seem to upset them at all, perhaps the opposite. A comfy bed and all that hay and feed to themselves!

Nor do I stick to a strict routine as far as time is concerned though I do visit them twice a day. As long as one visit is in the morning and one in the evening, I and they don't much care.

Due to us all not being at livery, we don't have to adhere to other people's rules and routines, we just bum along in our own little way and everyone seems happy!!

PoppyPony

Visit site
I prefer a routine for my horse, however in a more general way I know some endurance riders do not give their horses a routine on purpose so that they better cope with weird feeding times on long rides.

A completely different situation obviously, but just an example of how horses can cope with varied routines.

evsj

Visit site
I can't get over how people at my current yard seem to change their horse's routines according to how convenient it is for them. For example, most weekend days I am at the yard for 9 a.m. at the latest - YO puts breakfast in at around 8 so I know neddy has had breakfast and is not starving. I usually ride first thing then TO and get on with chores. But the majority of people only turn up at around midday then tie horse up on yard, spend two hours mucking out, go for a ride and then turn horse out. For about an hour.... by which time its 4pm and the owners want to feed and go home. Also, it seems generally acceptable to NOT turn out if owner feels it's too rainy/windy/chilly on a particular day (usually Sat or Sun!).

The one good thing about our yard is the the extensive AYTO which is pretty good and no more poached than any other yard I've been at. I don't understand why these people insist on AYTO then don't use it!! If the field were a quagmire and the horses stood around waiting to come in I could understand but I think it is all down to whether owner can be arsed to get muddy boots or not.

Surely it's not fair on the horse? I am not a stickler for timings myself (I WILL be late for my own funeral!!) and I am sure horses aren't too badly affected an hour either way but to completely alter the routine just because it is the weekend must be confusing for them. Oh, and our yard has the largest concentration of cribbers/windsuckers I have ever seen......could there be a connection??
wink.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I am just wondering if a random routine could have a negative affect on the horse?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think so yes. It was particularly important when I had Freddy as he was a total stress head. And whereas Amy isn't - It's still important for her to have routine.

People will argue that they don't have routine in the wild - but to certain extent they do. But apart from anything else, we have domesticated them to do what we want and when. The least we can do is give them continuity in life, and routine is part of that.

TGM

Visit site
I think a lot depends on the situation - a horse out at grass with plentiful grazing or access to hay will be much less stressed by a random routine than one stabled and worrying where his next meal is coming from.

dieseldog

Visit site
No, I don't think so. It's pretty random what my horse does, depends if its raining or has rained a lot lately. I think he understands when he should get fed in the process (the only bit he cares about) but apart from that I don't think it matters one bit to him if he has to stay in because its too wet.

sojeph

Visit site
I actually think having a routine can be more stressful. My horses lose weight in the winter IF I feed them because they spend more time at the gate waiting for me instead of grazing. I don't feed anymore and all mine have maintained their weight this year and last. I do put hay out when necessary but randomly. Not everyday and not at the same time. With my pony at home..sometimes the gate to the field is open (he has a field shelter and a concrete yard adjoining the field), sometimes it is shut and he has hay..depending on how wet it is out there, but it is random.
This is partly why I don't like stabling..because of the routine that we tend to get into. I think it stresses out the horses and owners alike. Just as the horses are stood there stressing about when their next feed is coming, we are stressing about getting it done on time
crazy.gif
grin.gif

I hate stress and will avoid it at all costs
grin.gif

filly190

Visit site
I was wondering how she was fed, meaning is it when the owner feels like it, or despite her being in or out she gets her feed?

Wobniab

Visit site
I think it depends on the horse/pony.

Some get upset without a routine and some arnt bothered.

There is one horse on our yard who sounds a lot like the one your talking about, sometimes he's out sometimes he's in, dependant on the weather and what his owner wants to do. He has developed box walking and crib biting in the 4 months she's had him. But she is just trying to do what she thinks is best.

B isnt all that bothered so long as I'm not too late!

He is fed by the YO so thats routine, 6am and about 5pm (but I sometimes feed him if I'm up in the afternoon - usually I'm up in the mornings)

I aim to be up at the yard no later than 9am (but sometimes I sleep in and sometimes I'm early)

And he is brought in by the YO before it gets dark, so round about 4pm.

So I guess he does have a bit of a routine, but its not religiously stuck to. He doesnt seem to mind. (I was quite late once tho - think I got to the yard at about 10.40am) and B gave a big scream when I walked into the barn!! But it wasnt a stressed scream, it was a "and where the h*ll have you been??" scream! lol!)

So yes, in conclusion :p it depends on the horse/pony!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I was quite late once tho - think I got to the yard at about 10.40am

[/ QUOTE ]
blush.gif
Y'see I simply couldn't do it. I could never live with myself.

Chex

Visit site
I wouldn't either. I have a routine over winter, but a rough one. He's out at about 7 during the week, but usually 8 or half past at the weekends. He's brought in anywhere between 7 and 10 at night, depending on weather and what I'm doing. Summer I have no routine, sometimes up in morning, sometimes evening. He's not bothered, but if I left him in later in the mornings he be stressed and barging to get out, don't blame him really!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yes, that's more or less me. Except she's in by around 5.00ish in the winter. Only ever had her out 24/7 for one summer - last summer - which was lush for her and me.

Brenter_Star

Visit site
Some horses benefit from routine, particularly insecure horses - but some seem happier without. My mare is incredibly relaxed with no particular routine - until the weather got very nasty (when she came in every night and will do now until Spring) she would have random nights in or out, sometimes depending on whether I was planning an early morning ride, sometimes dpending on weather, sometimes on what SHE wanted to do - after a ride she might take herself out, or put herself in her stable.

I have known several horses devlop either stable vices or illnes (often colic) through stress of having a very rigid routine disrupted (which, let's face it, can happen to us all - e.g. RTA on the way, late out of work, car breaks down etc!) so I do try not to ever have a very strict routine.

I'm lucky - my riding mare will lie-in til any time (she always has ad-lib hay and water so no problems there; plus is very clean naturally!) and she doesn't even kick the door if other horses have breakfast and she doesn't.