Can a yard 'hold you back'???

showaddy1

Visit site
Hi all, I have, for the past 13 yrs just been happy hacking... in Sept my youngest child goes to full time school and I feel its a now or never time for me and showing..
I have competed up until I was 19, and although not as confident as I once was, think I could make a go of it.
My horses are good enough, and with alot of effort could be great!
The yard I am at consists of 8 stables and turnout... there is no menage, no where other than an uneven field to school... and then the hacking would always consist of 90% road work..
So, do I risk moving from a yard where my horses, and I, are happy but there are little facilities... or move to a more 'equipped' yard and give it a go?!
I'd love to hear from others who started to compete later on in life, and how you did!! x

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
You say your horses and you are happy at the yard?
You want to go showing?
Having produced a number of ridden natives, SHP & WHP's to Olympia & Wembley from a yard with no school, no electric & slightly undulating paddock (at best) to sometimes bumble in, I'd not move.
All schooling was done when out - if really necessary I hired or 'borrowed' mates schools once a week on run up to major show if we needed more practice, or whizzed round a local xc course 4 miles away for whp schooling.

Having a school isn't the be-all, you can get good work done when out 'happy hacking' :)

So, I'd stay if happy with all other aspects :)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
The following piece is taken from ClassicalDressage.net . Its kind of an answer to your question. Okay, you can't ride here in a barley field, but you can use a field, a bridlepath and common land to school with. I would give this a try before deciding to move. The ex bull fighter mentioned below is a greatly respected master horseman.

........................................................................................................

''If you are not lucky enough to have an arena, find a field, or any space that is walled, fenced or there is some sort of barrier to form at least one corner. You will need the discipline for yourself and your horse to stay in a predetermined area with corners. I know a trainer, an ex bull fighter in Portugal who has an arena in the middle of a cornfield. The corn stands so high that it actually forms the walls. He is however a bit stuck when the corn is harvested but by then the horse has made a track in the ground, he just pretends the walls are still there. It works for him. Looks a bit strange from a distance though. All you see is a head bobbing up and down above a field of corn.''
.........................................................................................................

Princess Jess

Visit site
If it was me I'd move to make the most of better facilities at a new yard, whilst an arena etc. is not essential it certainly makes life easier!
Unless your horse is super sensitive there's no reason why you wont be just as happy at a new yard after a couple of weeks to settle in.
I hope you it works out for you, I'm sure we'll be seeing you with a show report in no time! :D

showaddy1

Visit site
I do have transport, so could rent a school once a week... One mare is a heavy, hairy, mostly white (coloured)... and I'm trying to think of a way to a) get her clean with a hose I could wee faster than... and b) clip her out with no electric!
But, you are right, I am happy ( mostly), but my teenage daughter is not, and I think she has put the thought in my head...

diluteherd

Visit site
I do have transport, so could rent a school once a week... One mare is a heavy, hairy, mostly white (coloured)... and I'm trying to think of a way to a) get her clean with a hose I could wee faster than... and b) clip her out with no electric!
But, you are right, I am happy ( mostly), but my teenage daughter is not, and I think she has put the thought in my head...

I have tried for years and years to school with no arena using only hacking and a massive grass field with no proper fence line and and ups and downs much like the hickstead mound... and if I am honest I have come to the end of my very, very long and patient tether. Now with added spray boundaries meaning there is never any setaside fields around to school in and our weather either putting us in drought or up to our knees in mud I would in my opinion tell you to MOVE!

If I could I would, I had mine in livery for about 8 months approx 2 years ago, this was before I had so many youngsters - I only have youngsters as Im not allowed to move to a livery yard, so have chosen a different route to take my love of horses :D To have somewhere to school, that was lit was amazing! I almost cried when I knew at last I had somewhere and my horses improved incredibly well. It gave me the enthusiasm to ride as I knew that my aspirations could finally be met and there wouldnt be a battle. I could even jump in the sound mind that my ponies wouldnt sustain injury from the hard ground or skid in the mud!! :eek:

hmmm I get all dreamy just thinking of the arena! lol

Re: what you said above..... Those sound like massive frustrations you dont need, especially when you are trying to get prep done for a show the next day! You also dont want your daughter to become like me full of dreams but thoroughly twisted and bitter about not achieving them.

Last edited:

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Tricky one. I moved from my previous field, no hard surface to tie up at, no school, no running water or electric, we'd been there 8 years. I moved to a yard nothing flash but all of the above but more importantly people thete who like competing. I'm really keen now and its good to have a good influence in other people. Ponies settled in well :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

a. Hose: get the water co out (or a friendly plumber) to check the water pressure at stop-cock. Even if its low, you can get a reasonable amount of pressure with a garden nozzle fitted to the hose, which directs the spray.
A pressure washer can help.... specially one with its own reservior - see answer b for how to power it ;)

b. Generator - buy cheap one from Ebay (check KVA before buying as need to have good power for clippers, such as 3KVA minimum.
Or, hire one 2 or 3 times a winter from local tool-hire.
Or, buy battery powered clippers. (if you clip early enough, then battery clippers are fine for repeated clips on fuzzy's)
Or, Travel out to get clipped & use their school after :)

Good luck in whatever you decide tho :)

Starzaan

Visit site
If you and your horses are happy I wouldn't move.

Clayton and Lucinda Fredericks didn't have any facilities for a long time at they still produced horses up to 4* level with no problems.

If you school on a slightly lumpy grass area you've generally got an advantage anyway. Your horse won't be so shocked by the change a perfectly level arena surface at home to a slightly lumpy and uneven show ring.

Renvers

Visit site
Are you someone who has the discipline to work without facilities like a manege and can school when hacking? if so then stay where you are happy

I for one am not and know I have to be at a place where i have facilities.

showaddy1

Visit site
Thanks all... stupidly never thought of a generator running the clippers... the hose will never work but if I'm desperate I can box her to my house... least it'll be warm water!!
Diluteherd.... I am thinking that if I dont try now, then I may end up bitter and twisted... my daughter will have to do whatever I decide until she's old enough to pay her own livery!!

dollymix

Visit site
I think a yard can hold you back.

For years when I lived in Manchester I was on a smallholding, where there was just me and a pal. he hacking was fab, but we had no facilities at all...no arena and no electric (I can't tell you how many generators we had stolen as it sends me slightly crazy :( )

when I met my husband and moved yard I moved onto livery yards and they have done me the world of good and broadened my horsey horizons...not only in competing, but also having other people to help, discuss issues, go on horsey trips....

It can be scary moving from your own place to a livery, especially when you read some of the horror stories on here...but as long as you go with an open mind and find a friendly place, I think you'd love it!

Queenbee

Visit site
yes, I think it can, I am at a yard with a grass school, no jumps, we have hardly used it this yr due to the weather and the only other liveries are 2 happy hackers. Ben goes off to bootcamp to be backed tomorrow, if he came back to this yard, I would not be able to do all the things I am planning on, we move now to a new yard, YO is a fab instructor who imports irish youngsters and brings them on, she competes every weekend even in the winter and has space on her lorry, there are other competition type liveries there to spur me on and encourage me, xc practice jumps, sand school, generally inspiration, understanding and encouragement... I am feeling so positive about moving there as I know it will really spur me and ben into achieving what I want to do.

Queenbee

Visit site
The following piece is taken from ClassicalDressage.net . Its kind of an answer to your question. Okay, you can't ride here in a barley field, but you can use a field, a bridlepath and common land to school with. I would give this a try before deciding to move. The ex bull fighter mentioned below is a greatly respected master horseman.

........................................................................................................

''If you are not lucky enough to have an arena, find a field, or any space that is walled, fenced or there is some sort of barrier to form at least one corner. You will need the discipline for yourself and your horse to stay in a predetermined area with corners. I know a trainer, an ex bull fighter in Portugal who has an arena in the middle of a cornfield. The corn stands so high that it actually forms the walls. He is however a bit stuck when the corn is harvested but by then the horse has made a track in the ground, he just pretends the walls are still there. It works for him. Looks a bit strange from a distance though. All you see is a head bobbing up and down above a field of corn.''
.........................................................................................................

I read that the other day :D