Can an idiot buy a trailer???

Sal_E

Visit site
OK 'idiot' may be a bit harsh, but would I need to get a 2nd-hand trailer checked over by a professional?

I'm planning on purchasing an Ifor Williams (Ifor for re-sale value) probably for around £2k (I have seen some advertised for less but don't know what condition they're in).

When viewing I will take my hubby who is pretty intelligent (!) but not really THAT mechanically minded - any opinions on whether things like the state of the floor is easy to assess? I can honestly say I've never taken notice of such things as I've only really travellled with people I really trust in decent transport, so never felt the need to take an interest.

Do you think trailer condition is common sense or do we need an expert? (or at least a 'knowlegeable friend')...

Thanks!

(and any tips what what to check for? I presume I need to try to lift the rubber to check the floor? Plus look underneath. Check tyres, electrics, all working/moving parts. Anything else?)

Mbronze

www.cheshirehorsetaxi.weebly.com
Make sure that they have had it serviced on a regular basis and ask them for the report, I know so many people that don't bother, and its really important!
My trailer is up for sale but its not an ifor williams its a Rice, about ten years old but well looked after (1k) only because i don't need it, i have used it almost every week of having it and find them really reliable, never had a problem, so don't discount the rice/richardson brand..
Check tyres definetely, brakes,electrics and floor thats all really.

L

lilym

hi! i bought a second hand ifor a few weeks back! take up the matting to have a good look at the floor, on the older ifors the floor is wooden so check this by poking with a screwdriver pay attention to the edges where they join the sides, get undet the trailer and make sure the floor is solid under there too, with aluminium floors pay particular attention to the weld along the sides where the ali floor is attached to the rest of the trailer. check the electrics and make sure the ramps are easy to operate and close properly with no twisting etc, finally hitch it up and take it for a tow or ask the vendor to do this for you, ask to look at paperwork if any and take the serieal number and ring ifor williams to make sure the seller is the legal owner!! good luck!

Sal_E

Visit site
MB - shame you're so far away! Thanks for the advice re servicing, it hadn't occured to me (hence 'idiot'!).

L - thanks for all the pointers - what would we be looking for on a trial run then? I didn't expect to have to do that, based on the fact that there's no mechanics as such. Am I wrong? Fab point about checking legal ownership - SO many trailers get stolen. Do you know if I.W. will confirm legal ownership?

Peanot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
don't discount the rice/richardson brand..

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought a new Rice/Richardson last year.
Here are the reasons why I decided on this one rather than the Ifor, but it is everyones preference:

1)It has a plastic floor, as some people have mentioned about the aluminium floor vibrating thus unsettling a nervous traveller.
2)The top door opens into the roof so there is more headroom where they are looking out.
3)The front ramp opens to the left, (onto the pavement) and I have had to use this once at the side of the road, and when travelling single horse on the right, there is more room to get them out, plus they can see more when stood on trailer.
4)The R/R was slightly bigger all round and I have a big claustrophobic horse.
grin.gif

5)I think that it has extra air vents too, it is the ULtra, more air circulation.

Obviously these are the reasons that I chose this trailer, and my horse is a brilliant traveller in it, whereas in a lorry, she was terrible. It is everyones preference but as stated by Masterbronze, don`t overlook them.

As said, check floors, electrics, ramp fittings etc. Good luck.

Sal_E

Visit site
Thanks P - you do have some good arguments there! I was just automatically drawn to the Ifor as there's a chance I won't keep it for too long so thought I'd go for what was easiest to sell on & most likely to hold it's value. Not sure that my assumption is accurate though...

Weezy

Visit site
I wouldn't have an Ifor - no reason other than I find them rather clattery when in transit
crazy.gif
I am the only person on the yard NOT to have one tho and my girl travels really well in them whereas I am having ongoing probs with the Bateson!

If you do want an Ifor, PM CotswoldSJ for advice regarding floors. Her horse had a horrific accident in one due to a fault.

L

lilym

yes they did for mine, i just rang them with the serial number which is on a plate on the right hand side of the a frame behind the tow hitch, and they confirmed the name and address of the person who i was buying it from, i wouldn't buy anything not registered in the sellers name no matter what excuse they give, also don't touch anything where the serial number is missing or damaged, i took mine for a tow aroung the owners place to check the brakes wern't stuck, a very common problem with ifors if they are left standing, i9 would quite understand however people not letting you have a test tow due to security etc.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Don't discount the Bateson. In my view they are better built than the Ifor, the front ramp opens on left which is safer, they have tie rings on outside of trailer, Ifor do not. They tow really well & with a large window in the front are light & inviting & the deauvuille has a hitching mirror fitted as standard.

I believe Ifor Williams are stuck in the past, they rattle, have numerous design faults & people buy them out of habit. In their day they were fine but they haver stagnated.

Oh & when you look at trailers check the bakes work & the tyres have not perished/have cracks in through standing unused for long periods.

Sal_E

Visit site
Thanks TZ. I was really thinking that the Ifor would be easier to sell on which has to be a real consideration for me. Do you think I'm right in thinking that?

Sooty

Visit site
We eventually got an Ifor, and if is the first trailer we have had that Toffee travels really well in. As for the ramp being on the wrong side, if you have an accident you can always back the horses out, and it is safer to have the groom's door on the near side. Check round the sides of the floor, where the floor joins the walls, as there is where any corrosion will occur.

L

lilym

i second that, i had loading issues with my cob in the old trailer - don't know what make it was an antique!_ and was prepared for issues with the new ifor, she just walked straight on and travelled like a dream!
grin.gif

fizzer

Visit site
ditto batesons, had an ivor before, didnt like the front ramp openeing on the right, had difficulty taking big lad off at that angle, very nickable too many circulating changing hands, better ride for the horse, love the plastic floor, have space for tack etc, very light and airy. horses love it too