Can anybody tell me how to get over...

copper100

Visit site
I lost my little man a year ago next Tuesday, the 15th.. People say it's get's easier but it's getting worse to be honest, I miss him so much and not sure how to get over next next week

Benji1

Visit site
Losing our animal counter-parts is never easy, I can sympathise with you.

In saying this, I do not mean you don't miss your little man, its obvious you do, but do you have another dog or is it a case of 'i miss my little man but i also miss playing with/walking/having fun with a dog aswell'?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
sorry you are still feeling so bad,. we all react differently in these situations. when i lost my last dog i felt that part of me had died and said i would never have another. it took me 5 months to come round to the idea of another dog . i now have 2 and they give me lots of fun and i love them but neither of them can possibly replace my girl. if you cannot bring yourself to get another, why not get a different sort of pet,, rabbits/ rats/ guinea pigs /just to give yourself something to love as you obviously have lots of love to give. hope this helps a bit, i feel for you

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I am so sorry you are still finding it hard to come to terms with losing your much loved dog, from your previous post it was sudden with diabetes.

I can empathise with you I lost my dog of a lifetime last July he was only 4years old and I feel I was robbed. Life seemed pretty pointless after this and Im sure I bored my friends and family with it all but they stuck with me.

As individuals we all deal with grief in different ways and what I did was get 2 more rescues and its the best thing I could have done. I didnt feel guilty because I knew I rescued my Fred and he would have wanted me to do the same.

They are not replacements for him because you cannot replace the irreplacable but I love them to bits and my heart is big enough for them all.

Perhaps when the time is right for you as a legacy for your dog you could take on a rescue and lavish them with the love you undoubtedly have.

Next week will be hard perhaps catch up with friends do something that is not routine anything to make your day easier there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
God, really feel for you. No way am I over my lad yet. I think getting another dog helps-I got two. Saying that, nothing really helps. :confused: :(

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I'm so sorry you are still finding it all so hard, I can sympathise. We lost Amber on Boxing Day 2009 and it took me a full 9 months to even consider getting another dog. To be honest it was hubby that I got Pickle for, I saw him looking at other dogs and the pain in his eyes was just heart breaking. Pickle is not a replacement for Amber, she is totally her own person but the house is no longer silent and you don't get a moments peace!!! Big hugs xxx

Luci07

Visit site
Oh sorry to hear that - I don't think we get over losing a much loved pet, we just learn to live with it. It took me 6 months before I could consider another dog and - in my case - it was partly because I have staffies and we were involved with the rescues so knew only too well how bad the situation is for staffs. Tara did not and would not ever replace Jazz and she is a very different dog but I love them both. However, being a rampant coward, after what I went through last time, I now have 2 dogs and won't ever go back to 1 again. I made myself very ill last time as just could not stop crying which then made me sick.

On the anniversary - why don't you go to a rescue kennels - no NOT to find another dog but go and help walk some of their dogs who would really really appreciate time out. That might be a nice way to remember your dog..

willhegofirst

Visit site
I lost my little JRT a year ago this week, I still miss really miss him, we had two other dogs, and have since got a new pup, but Flint went early with cancer and it still seems unfair to me. Time does heal, and other dogs do help, but never replace,as others say if you don't have another dog maybe look at getting another one now a year has passed.

Goya

Visit site
What can I say that hasn't already been said? I share your pain and grief having lost Beau in September last year. I have 3 other dogs, but I still miss her big time.
I think you never "get over it" but you learn to cope.
It really does help to have another dog, even though they will never replace the loss.

Smitty

Visit site
We lost our Collie x Springer very suddenly at the age of 6 a few years ago. It was absolutely horrible and for 3 days we didn't want another dog (we also had a Cav) but the house felt so empty and so about 5 days after Percy's death I went to the local rescue centre just wanting a big, friendly, bouncy dog to fill the house again. I didn't even want to see a dog that reminded me of him and was surprised to find that I was quite open to most of the dogs there. I fell for a Collie x Lab and my ex still has him, we both love him to bits and he did the job (after a couple of weeks when he had stopped being 'moody'!).

In May last year my terrier was stolen, and after 4 days of an empty house I started to foster dogs for a local rescue. I did this for 2 months or so, then a lady asked me if I would like her terrier that she was having to rehome. I met him, liked him and he came to live with me but it was a very long time before he really got under my skin as it were. I am now absolutely terrified of losing him as I love him to bits, whilst also still hoping to find my other dog who I also loved to bits.

This is just my experience, but I do find having another dog does help (eventually!).