can anyone a barefoot friendly diet?

fredflop

Visit site
I will do my research on it, however can anyone recommend a barefoot friendly diet for a tb living out, needing to maintain weight, but a reasonable doer

Thank you

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Fibre based, low sugar and starch with a balance of all essential vits and minerals.
Easy things to start with are switching molassed chop to a light chaff with no added molasses. Switch sugary mixes to a balancer and speak to vet if there's any vitamin or mineral imbalance in your grazing :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
Or feed something like Agrobs etc and add a decent mineral balancer unless you make your own forage and have your own land. Add a big dose of salt and linseed, less for a good doer, more for a poor one.

I feed a big handful of agrobs museli, salt and the cheapest progressive earth balancer as mine also gets adlib good quality hay and works hard.

SEL

Visit site
I like Forage Plus balancers. Linseed to keep weight on, together with a molasses free chaff. Mine get mixed together with a scoop of kwik beet and a bit of salt.

Nasicus

Visit site
Got my two on Honeychop Plain Oat Straw Chaff and Keyflow Pink Mash, supplemented with Progressive Earth Pro-Balance+, Salt and Micronized Linseed.
Works well for my two, the main 'feed' part is all low sugar/low starch, good for mine as they are good doers, and allows me to tailor it as needed. Could probably increase amounts of linseed in it for a not-so-good doer, or use a more nutritious chaff.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Or feed something like Agrobs etc and add a decent mineral balancer unless you make your own forage and have your own land. Add a big dose of salt and linseed, less for a good doer, more for a poor one.

I'm not sure if I've understood you FW? If I made forage off my own land it would be horribly unbalanced in iron and manganese. I prefer to buy in from a more balanced area.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
non molassed grass chaff (a fair few about these days, with varying energy/sugar/starch levels)
micronised linseed (charnwoods)
high spec vit/min supplement (Forageplus, proearth, equimins, equivita) + salt
if horse needs more weight, more linseed, unmolassed beet
more energy, oats.

ester

Visit site
I'm not sure if I've understood you FW? If I made forage off my own land it would be horribly unbalanced in iron and manganese. I prefer to buy in from a more balanced area.

I think she just meant then it is feasible to test your forage.

amandaco2

Visit site
meadow grass grazing and hay.
TB chaff.
I use basemix and copra for my ulcer horse who needs a bit more help maintaining weight.
I did use saked whole oats for my PSG lad too which helped but copra was much better for weight so I phased out the oats.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
non molassed grass chaff (a fair few about these days, with varying energy/sugar/starch levels)
micronised linseed (charnwoods)
high spec vit/min supplement (Forageplus, proearth, equimins, equivita) + salt
if horse needs more weight, more linseed, unmolassed beet
more energy, oats.

This!

ester

Visit site
so salt wise- normal table salt has an anticaking agent so some get a bit iffy about that.
himalyan rock salt has iron in it so some people don't like that.
Frank has both :p. well I lie, he used to have both, now he just has a block in his stable, but he barely touches it, but that's because he mostly does diddly squat these days, he had table salt when he was working.

The reason it gets added separately is because if they include it in the powdered mineral mixes it screws everything else up, so they don't.

ester

Visit site

Dave's Mam

Visit site