Can anyone help before it’s too late..

Starburst4

Visit site
We have a 12hh section A and have had her for 5 years and she’s 11. In this time we have not had a single vet bill. She’s been 100% Childs pony going from lead rein to 1st ridden hacking, jumping, x country, beach rides, horse ball etc never put a foot wrong.

In November literally overnight she changed to being really nasty and grumpy, would not let us tack up and ride. We scoped her and found grade 4 ulcers. She was treated and 4 weeks later was acting exactly the same. She was scoped again and they had all healed. She continued to be impossible to handle being so strong and refusing to go forward when ridden.

We have had teeth and saddle checked and nothing. Vets took her in for 2 weeks and nerve blocked front 2 legs, 14 x rays of legs, back, neck, head. Ultrasound to stomach and full dental check. The only thing they could find was slight damage to C1 and C2 vertebrae in her neck which she had physio for. When at the vets they found her one morning on her back and although she got up on her own we couldn’t explain why she was like it so we took her for a CT scan which showed nothing.
She is impossible to handle to the point we can’t bring her in and out as she’s so strong and rearing. She looks so unhappy but nothing is helping. My vet is just saying calmers but that just seems to mask a problem and it’s not made any difference. She’s now evil to other horses and doesn’t want anyone around her.
The only thing left is a bone scan but I’m worried that will not show anything.
Does anyone have any ideas? She’s dangerous to be around and is meant to be a child’s pony.
I can’t turn her away as she’s getting so overweight as the vets have told me don’t feed from a haynet because of her neck but then she must have food all the time because of stomach acid but then can’t be exercised.
It’s getting to the point where the best thing would be to put her to sleep.
Please any help!x

Starburst4

Visit site
Something is wrong.

Has there been a bute trial?
Blood tests?
No bite trial as far as I’m aware what would that be?
Full bloods done early on and nothing then hormone bloods and again nothing.

something is really wrong with her but I’m getting no where with the vets x

tiga71

Visit site
There was something on FB a while back that had a horse was almost going to be pts for similar type behaviour that vets couldn't figure out. Then one vet checked for some kind of fly, might burrow in their skin or bites. The horse had these flies round his sheath I think. They got rid of the flies and the horse went back to normal. The flies were essentially driving him crazy.

I can't remember what the flies were called or where the post was so not sure how helpful that is. I will message a friend as I remember she commented on it as they had a horse with it too.

Starburst4

Visit site
There was something on FB a while back that had a horse was almost going to be pts for similar type behaviour that vets couldn't figure out. Then one vet checked for some kind of fly, might burrow in their skin or bites. The horse had these flies round his sheath I think. They got rid of the flies and the horse went back to normal. The flies were essentially driving him crazy.

I can't remember what the flies were called or where the post was so not sure how helpful that is. I will message a friend as I remember she commented on it as they had a horse with it too.

thank you so much. I’m trying to do everything possible x

Starburst4

Visit site
No bite trial as far as I’m aware what would that be?
Full bloods done early on and nothing then hormone bloods and again nothing.

something is really wrong with her but I’m getting no where with the vets x

sorry bute trial yes she’s had bute on a few different occasions and nothing has made a difference x

Griffin

Visit site
I would also look for flies/bites.

I would look at her diet if you have not already, could she be allergic to something (or become allergic to something)? My mare is evil if she eats alfalfa, it makes her itch terribly and she gets very angry with it (I don't blame her). I don't give her anything with alfalfa in at all but occasionally she will sneak a mouthful from someone's feed bowl or off the floor and then we have a very rough couple of days.

Have you changed anything in her management or has anything changed nearby (pig farm set up, low flying planes, anything)? Was she different in personality at the vets?

If she is stabled at all, could you watch her via a camera to see if you can get any clue as to what it is causing this?

Starburst4

Visit site
I would also look for flies/bites.

I would look at her diet if you have not already, could she be allergic to something (or become allergic to something)? My mare is evil if she eats alfalfa, it makes her itch terribly and she gets very angry with it (I don't blame her). I don't give her anything with alfalfa in at all but occasionally she will sneak a mouthful from someone's feed bowl or off the floor and then we have a very rough couple of days.

Have you changed anything in her management or has anything changed nearby (pig farm set up, low flying planes, anything)? Was she different in personality at the vets?

If she is stabled at all, could you watch her via a camera to see if you can get any clue as to what it is causing this?

she’s barely fed anything and now has just a handful of dengie healthy tummy so she can have her ulcer medicine.
We moved yards in April last year and she was brilliant not stressed in any way and going perfect it was like a switch went in her head.
To be honest she is acting like something that has lost the plot she’s so strong and spooks at everything.
may the vets she didn’t really leave her stable as it was so cold but every horse that went past she went mad at. The problem is because she’s been so well my vets hadn’t seen her before so can’t see the drastic change in her

Griffin

Visit site
she’s barely fed anything and now has just a handful of dengie healthy tummy so she can have her ulcer medicine.
We moved yards in April last year and she was brilliant not stressed in any way and going perfect it was like a switch went in her head.
To be honest she is acting like something that has lost the plot she’s so strong and spooks at everything.
may the vets she didn’t really leave her stable as it was so cold but every horse that went past she went mad at. The problem is because she’s been so well my vets hadn’t seen her before so can’t see the drastic change in her

It might be worth giving her a balancer and some grass chaff to see if she changes. I only say this because vitamin and mineral deficiencies can have an impact on behaviour. It's really important to feed a balancer or any complete feed at the recommended rates to ensure that they get everything in the right quantities. Dengie HT has alfalfa in it, so it may be worth removing that to see if it helps.

I know it sounds counterintuitive to feed a good doer more but a balancer won't much in the way of extra calories. I prefer pelleted balancers because they are easier to feed but you can always use powder if you are worried about extra calories.

I really hope you get sorted though, what a horrible situation for both of you.

Starburst4

Visit site
It might be worth giving her a balancer and some grass chaff to see if she changes. I only say this because vitamin and mineral deficiencies can have an impact on behaviour. It's really important to feed a balancer or any complete feed at the recommended rates to ensure that they get everything in the right quantities. Dengie HT has alfalfa in it, so it may be worth removing that to see if it helps.

I know it sounds counterintuitive to feed a good doer more but a balancer won't much in the way of extra calories. I prefer pelleted balancers because they are easier to feed but you can always use powder if you are worried about extra calories.

I really hope you get sorted though, what a horrible situation for both of you.
Thank you it’s so tough x

planete

Visit site
She started acting like this in November. At first we thought she had hit her head panicking at fireworks as it was over firework weekend x

Crab flies are a warm weather insect and only live in a few parts of the country, like the New Forest. They wouldn't survive over winter even if the pony had got some last November. They will settle under the tail and between the hind legs, quite easy to see. They bite but they definitely do not burrow under the skin.

Lois Lame

Visit site
You got me running to Wikipedia to increase my knowledge of keds. They sound even worse than crab flies! Sorry OP, I really hope you find out what the problem is.

Oh, I thought that was a typo for deer kids. (Not that I would call them kids...)

What roughage does she get? Is she really getting almost nothing?

But I am suspicious about cracker night. It just seems a bit too coincidental. Did that do something? How much has her head been looked at?

I really hope you find a solution soon.

PurBee

Visit site
So after years of being great, you move yards, then she‘s behaving badly and you discover ulcers, treat ulcers, yet behaviour remains these past 6 months since yard change despite extensive tests showing normal?

As equi suggested, i’d move back to the previous yard, just as a trial. See if her behaviour changes?

Did the stress of the yard change cause ulcers? Some ponies react badly to change while others float through it. Stress can bring on ulcers.
There’s been a trickle of posts on here that mention about yard change and horses acting differently, that at the time the owner didnt think was relevant to the main post issue. Routine seems to suit horses and makes them easier to manage, they spook with unpredictability so easily, if they havent been used to change since being a youngster. My 2 are so set in their ways even a hay time change has them wickering at me to feed them. While other horses get excited when the horse box is rolled out and eager to get on board to go somewhere different.

Presumably, coinciding with yard change, she also then received forage change? Not all hays/haylages are equal and could be a hidden issue?

Just another thing to consider....as animals in general are more sensitive to electromagnetics, does the new yard have underground electric cables, overhead pylons, wifi tower close-by? It just seems weird this all kicked off with a yard change after many years of perfect pony with never a health issue.
It may well be coincidental but reeks suspiciously due to the change.
Are the other horses on the yard highly strung/difficult/ulcery? (if so then a shared problem by all : environmental issue like electromagnetic, or forage causing issues so far undetected, or maybe even water supply tainted in some way)

I’d be fretting hard like you are. as you’ve done a lot of medical investigations, that i would immediately move her back to the other yard, just as a test, and a last ditch attempt out of curiosity to see if it helps, before pts decision is made.
Did she have a mate at the other yard she’s really pining for? Bit extreme for her to be so different over buddy-sour scenario but not outside the realms of possibility, especially with ‘sensitive’ darlings that horses can be!

The other thing with you saying vets found her laying on her back..could there be a trapped nerve? Im not knowledgeable about equine neurology mechanics but if her neck showed some anomalies, and she’s lying on her back...which IS so strange, maybe she’s somehow got a really bad nerve pinch issue occurring?

fingers firmly crossed for you and the pony the issue comes to light
x

Starburst4

Visit site
So after years of being great, you move yards, then she‘s behaving badly and you discover ulcers, treat ulcers, yet behaviour remains these past 6 months since yard change despite extensive tests showing normal?

As equi suggested, i’d move back to the previous yard, just as a trial. See if her behaviour changes?

Did the stress of the yard change cause ulcers? Some ponies react badly to change while others float through it. Stress can bring on ulcers.
There’s been a trickle of posts on here that mention about yard change and horses acting differently, that at the time the owner didnt think was relevant to the main post issue. Routine seems to suit horses and makes them easier to manage, they spook with unpredictability so easily, if they havent been used to change since being a youngster. My 2 are so set in their ways even a hay time change has them wickering at me to feed them. While other horses get excited when the horse box is rolled out and eager to get on board to go somewhere different.

Presumably, coinciding with yard change, she also then received forage change? Not all hays/haylages are equal and could be a hidden issue?

Just another thing to consider....as animals in general are more sensitive to electromagnetics, does the new yard have underground electric cables, overhead pylons, wifi tower close-by? It just seems weird this all kicked off with a yard change after many years of perfect pony with never a health issue.
It may well be coincidental but reeks suspiciously due to the change.
Are the other horses on the yard highly strung/difficult/ulcery? (if so then a shared problem by all : environmental issue like electromagnetic, or forage causing issues so far undetected, or maybe even water supply tainted in some way)

I’d be fretting hard like you are. as you’ve done a lot of medical investigations, that i would immediately move her back to the other yard, just as a test, and a last ditch attempt out of curiosity to see if it helps, before pts decision is made.
Did she have a mate at the other yard she’s really pining for? Bit extreme for her to be so different over buddy-sour scenario but not outside the realms of possibility, especially with ‘sensitive’ darlings that horses can be!

The other thing with you saying vets found her laying on her back..could there be a trapped nerve? Im not knowledgeable about equine neurology mechanics but if her neck showed some anomalies, and she’s lying on her back...which IS so strange, maybe she’s somehow got a really bad nerve pinch issue occurring?

fingers firmly crossed for you and the pony the issue comes to light
x

thank you. Unfortunately the old yard closed down. She had been at our new yard for nearly 9 months before the issue and I would say it’s the best she has been. She settled so much better than her previous move and was getting on so much better with others as she had ponies to mix with and the other yard was horses. She’s good with other horses but a little bit of a loner she’s not fussed about being with others or alone and isn’t stressy in any way.
She’s on soaked hay and was getting smaller amounts before ulcers because of her weight but now has a lot more as we have to try and keep the stomach acid away.
The only thing I can think with firework night is that she banged her head somehow. I kept her in this year as the previous 2 years our yard kept out as a display was so close I went up there to keep an eye on her and she went mad! This year she stayed in with others and had the radio on.
The vets thought she may have had a fit when being on her back which was why we went for the CT scan. She’s had extensive physio under sedation and the physio said there is nothing more she can do she seems fine in her eyes.
The only thing I forgot to mention is she tosses her head now really violently. To the point you can’t walk next to her as she’s so close to hitting me. I asked about damage to the trigemenal nerve but thought this would show on the CT scan.
They are saying last thing would be a bone scan to see if any hot spots are picked up

Starburst4

Visit site
Oh, I thought that was a typo for deer kids. (Not that I would call them kids...)

What roughage does she get? Is she really getting almost nothing?

But I am suspicious about cracker night. It just seems a bit too coincidental. Did that do something? How much has her head been looked at?

I really hope you find a solution soon.
Thank you. I was worried she had somehow banged her head over firework night as that’s the only thing I can link around that time. She’s had a full head CT scan and that didn’t show anything. I’m not sure about her eyes but assumed the scan would pick up on this.
She has soaked hay now and and plenty as we have to keep stomach acid down x

Starburst4

Visit site
Is she a grey? Does she have melanomas? Usually when they have melanomas on the outside they also have them on the inside and they can cause a lot of trouble.
She is grey and we looked at this but she isn’t reacting in a certain area so didn’t think this would be the issue