Can anyone help? Biomechanics?!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m having real problems riding my daughters horse. I’m now his main rider and at the moment he’s my only ride.
So starting with him. He had about 9 months off work. When he started back he was stiff in his off hind. The vet has seen him and said it is just a bit stiff, not helped by being out of work so long. Plan was get him going and if it didn’t improve look at medicating it (he’s 18)
It is improving and he loosens up massively working.

Me- 😩 I have a long term left hip problem. Apparently over the years I’ve compensated for this and caused other issues. I would ideally like to twist to the left constantly but force myself as straight as I can and again this is better.
My lower back is virtually immobile and my right shoulder is VERY stiff. I have trouble opening my right rein and bending right. I assume both related to the hip.
With my own horse I’m getting on top of all this but finding it impossible with this one.
So, I’m finding it incredibly uncomfortable to ride. My hip and shoulder hurt and continue to hurt into the evening if I’ve done a longer ride.
He is drifting to the right and his saddle is slipping slightly right. (Daughter said it does with her too so is being checked but actually not sure she’s right or just agreeing!)
He’s also slightly sore under the saddle. He’s always been checked regularly when in work back wise but hasn’t been checked recently due to being off, that’s also booked.
He’s the horse that never usually needs doing because he’s always fine.
I’m not sure I should be riding him (incase I’m doing more harm) but equally he’s just going to go straight back to being a field ornament if I don’t as no one else can. (That sounded like one of those no one else can ride statements!! 😳 it’s not I just mean daughters at work full time and it’s too dark when she’s home)
Does all this tie in and is there anything I can do?

Britestar

Visit site
Try an ACPAT physio who does rider profiling. They assess you on the horse and off as well, and can provide insights and exercises to help improve you.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would start with the saddle fit, if he's sore underneath it and it slips when he is wearing it. It really doesn't sound right and may well be the cause of at least some of your problems.

gunnergundog

Visit site
I would start with the saddle fit, if he's sore underneath it and it slips when he is wearing it. It really doesn't sound right and may well be the cause of at least some of your problems.
If the saddle is slipping to the right, I hate to say it, but, I would be looking for lameness in the LH.

Leo Walker

Visit site
You need to see a good osteo before you do anything else. Get yourself structurally sound and straight. Fighting to keep yourself straight all the time isnt going to work. I'd definitely be checking saddle fit and possibly pony soundness as well.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Thanks all.
So even after flexion the vet couldn’t say he was “lame”
The stiffness in my hip makes me feel like the left stirrup is shorter so I’m wondering if I’m putting more weight in my right so pulling it over?
I have thought of Pilates and tried to find a local class but failed so far.
I can find an osteopath but the main cause of all this really requires operating, my hip joint has a bone spur that causes it not to move properly. I know this as OH has private health cover so I had an mri and loads of physio but it’s no longer covered and has got worse. I can see my dr and ask for an NHS referral but it won’t be quick.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks all.
So even after flexion the vet couldn’t say he was “lame”
The stiffness in my hip makes me feel like the left stirrup is shorter so I’m wondering if I’m putting more weight in my right so pulling it over?
I have thought of Pilates and tried to find a local class but failed so far.
I can find an osteopath but the main cause of all this really requires operating, my hip joint has a bone spur that causes it not to move properly. I know this as OH has private health cover so I had an mri and loads of physio but it’s no longer covered and has got worse. I can see my dr and ask for an NHS referral but it won’t be quick.

But you won't even get onto the waiting list, if you don't talk to your GP about it.