can anyone help!?!?!

callmelucky

Visit site
Hi Guys,
Just got a call from a rather upset friend :-( . She had a horse which was out on loan to a so called friend, but it was moved to his friends for some rehab due to a tendon injury. Out of the blue she got a phone call saying the horse had been put down. However! The woman (where the horse was staying) did not phone her until the NEXT DAY to tell he had been put down. She has no idea why the horse horse was put down or what happened, all she was told was he couldnt get up in the stable. The people still will not tell her what happened (this happened a few weeks ago) or which vet treated the horse! To make matters worse, by the time she was told the horse had died, he had been taken away already so she couldnt even see him!!! She has no idea where he went ie cremated/incinerated or fed to hounds. They will not tell her a thing!! They just keep saying how upset they are....eh hello, its not even their horse! my friend is devastated. she had a contract stating that in the event of the horse needing put down she was to be contacted and able to have a say in what happened. Whilst she appreciates that it may have been the case that he needed pts asap, she had no missed calls or messages from the person to show they had even tried to get in touch, they just took it upon themselves to do whatever! She also does not have his passport or any of his belonging back and the woman wont reply to her messages/calls. There is a part of her that thinks the horse may have been sold on and they are just saying he died!! shes at the end of her tether, she just wants to know what happened and would have liked to see him to get some closure,. she isnt even bothered about getting his tack or rugs back!

does anyone know who she can get advice from to help her out? the people are obviously not going to tell her the full story so shed like to take things further.

Thanks

Sparkles

Visit site
No idea, but sounds very dodgy to me also.

I'd make out that I still had insurance for him and needed validation from the vets etc to claim or something official like that to get the truth out of them.

Though that said, if it was me, I wouldn't be responsible for my actions right now if I wasn't getting straight, direct answers with proof. I would be on their door and not leaving. I'd want the vets invoices, etc.

I'd also ring round any vets in the area and explain the story, it's your horse, so not sure how confidentiality would be of importance if you worded it right. 'I'm the owner of *horse* at *yard*, I believe he was treated/called out by one of your vets. Could I please have the invoice sent to me directly?'
Just keep ringing vets till you find one which either a) knows what you're on about b) no vets have any records, so therefore half validate suspicions

I'd also be ringing up passport organisation and informing them - so if any change of ownership is attempted or similar, then there's your proof. Also needs to be sent back when horse is destroyed, so another reason to ask for it back.

Last edited:

goldenmint

Visit site
Can she do a visit of the yard the horse was at and see if she can find out any info?
Otherwise I would suggest speaking to the BHS or CAB.
Hugs to your friend it must be awful! I hope she finds out what's happened either way asap.

goldenmint

Visit site
That's a good idea re needing validation for insurance purposes, I would try that and see what type of response she gets.

Kelly1982

Visit site
She could contact the citizens advice, they will be able to tell her exactly where she stands and what she can do.

I had to do it when my pony went on full loan as the loaners moved him and wouldn't tell me where he had been moved to.

The fact that she has a contract is in her favour and she may have to get police involved

Beausmate

Visit site
Could she (or get someone else to) call round local vets, kennels, crematoriums and slaughterhouses to see if they've dealt with a horse matching the description?

It's awful not knowing, your friend must be beside herself.

mandwhy

Visit site
That is horrible and very suspicious. I think if you contact vets they should be able to help if you can prove to them it is your horse! The insurance thing is a good idea. I hope you find out what happened and if he is still alive that you get him back xxx

Ladydragon

Visit site
Is she a member of the BHS? She could call their legal advice line...

Hopefully (?) she notified the passport agency and NED that her horse was going out on loan - she needs to contact both...

And I'd also be ringing/knocking the door of every vet in the area with my photocopy of the passport and the loan agreement to get copies of any treatment records etc...

Personally I'd also be camping out on the doorstep of the loaner/yard - not allowing them to ignore my calls...

be positive

Visit site
www.missinghorsesonloan.co.uk they will be able to offer advice and know all the legal routes that are available.

I would be paying a visit to the loaner or the yard to get some answers, it may be genuine that the horse was severely injured and the first thought was dealing with that but to leave phoning until the next day is inexcusable.

Visit site
Go to the yard
put up a facebook page with pic this is a constructive way to retrieve information on this kind of thing, very quickly !!!
call police get it logged even if they say litigation case
join bhs for fifty pounds then call them in a few days time for advice from the legal soliceters , good luck but deffo do the facebook page believe me they will track horse or the lady involved
goodluck