Can anyone please help me word a message?

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I have a pony loaned out to an aquaintance. The aquaintance asked for the pony on loan as she said she had no money for a pony and as he is older was having a little difficulty finding the right home. The pony has exceeded all expectations and the small rider has come on a treat with rosettes all summer. However i am a little irritated by the situation as it has become clear that the loaner has plenty of money and flaunts it on FB, she has sold several horses and bought a new one for herself, and spent decent sums on other luxury items. The pony was very expensive for me at the time and is the sort hard to find. The home is good and I want him to stay there. BUT-I think it is time she bought him. I just don't know how to put it.

Anyone good with wording things?

SpringArising

Visit site
"Hi X, hope you're well! Just a quick message to say that I'll be putting Y up for sale shortly, so I wanted to give you first refusal as I know he's really loved by you and you'll offer him a great home. If you'd like to buy him give me a call so we can work something out. If you'd rather give him back, I'll arrange to have him collected ASAP so I can get the ball rolling in getting him into a new home. Speak soon, Z".

Max123

Visit site
I think that conversation needs to be face to face or at worst over the phone. You have to speak at some point about it and by putting it in writing you have escalated it into a problem and she may be happy to pay now as the pony has exceeded expectations but she hasn't been asked for money and is chancing her arm.

buddylove

Visit site
Do you need to sell him, and can you accommodate him if the loaner hands him back. If the answer to either of these is no, then I would be tempted not to upset the apple cart.
It almost sounds, from your post, that your main concern is the loaners financial circumstances, Not the best outcome for your pony.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
It grates a bit as she flaunts it all on FB. It is lovely to see the pony settled and doing well, but I feel she could well afford to pay for him.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
Do you need to sell him, and can you accommodate him if the loaner hands him back. If the answer to either of these is no, then I would be tempted not to upset the apple cart.
It almost sounds, from your post, that your main concern is the loaners financial circumstances, Not the best outcome for your pony.

I don't need to sell him, and I can accomodate him if he comes back. But I could do with some money back for him, and they can well afford to pay for him. He is a very good pony and the child won't outgrow him for ages. Apparently they have a queue of interested parties in their PC, and therefore could pass him on if needs be when the time comes.

buddylove

Visit site
It grates a bit as she flaunts it all on FB. It is lovely to see the pony settled and doing well, but I feel she could well afford to pay for him.
Understandable. However, if the original agreement was only a loan, not LVWTB or something similar, she may well get the hump that you are now asking her to pay for him!!
I think the best route is to give her a call and offer the opportunity to buy. It could well be that her circumstances have improved and she snaps your hand off, best of luck.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
"Hi X, hope you're well! Just a quick message to say that I'll be putting Y up for sale shortly, so I wanted to give you first refusal as I know he's really loved by you and you'll offer him a great home. If you'd like to buy him give me a call so we can work something out. If you'd rather give him back, I'll arrange to have him collected ASAP so I can get the ball rolling in getting him into a new home. Speak soon, Z".

Thank you

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
When it was first discussed I made it clear that i would prefer to sell. I fell for her story that she didn't have funds to purchase. I knew it would be a good home though as she is quite well known and her horses are well cared for. i think she wasn't sure how keen her child was and didn't want to commit but this pony has turned her from a screaming nervous wreck on lead rein to a confident novice happily jumping hacking and PC.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
Understandable. However, if the original agreement was only a loan, not LVWTB or something similar, she may well get the hump that you are now asking her to pay for him!!
I think the best route is to give her a call and offer the opportunity to buy. It could well be that her circumstances have improved and she snaps your hand off, best of luck.

This sums it up really

rowan666

Visit site
Are you yourself really that desperate for money that you would want to risk selling a pony you say is "older and was having a little difficulty finding the right home"? Once their child has outgrown the pony as often happens, poor pony could and up passed from pillar to post at a time in life he should be being rewarded with a happy retirement. If you openly admit you already had trouble trying to sell to a suitable home before then why would you risk the loaners handing him back? I also don't think it's fair to assume anybody's financial status especially based on a few Facebook pics.

Mince Pie

Visit site
When it was first discussed I made it clear that i would prefer to sell.

In which case loaner using her "sob story" has deprived OP of the funds the sale of the pony would have raised.

Apparently they have a queue of interested parties in their PC, and therefore could pass him on if needs be when the time comes.

Easy enough to check.

I'd also be going down this route, in writing in case of any issues (having read Ballerina's thread).

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I explained to her at the time that I had paid a lot for him. No one could have predicted how well the combination would work out. Her circumstances appear to improved, while although I am not "desperate" for money, i could certainly do with some as i have other ponies to pay for. I also would like "closure" and to know that she will take responsibility for him. I could gift him to her, but I reckon he is worth at least £1000 as he is the ultimate schoolmaster for a certain age group.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
" Hi X, I am really happy to see how y is getting on with Z, it looks like Z has surpassed your expectations as a schoolmaster. I was wondering if you would now like to opportunity to buy Z, to secure his future with you?"

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
" Hi X, I am really happy to see how y is getting on with Z, it looks like Z has surpassed your expectations as a schoolmaster. I was wondering if you would now like to opportunity to buy Z, to secure his future with you?"

Perfect.

Mince Pie

Visit site
But then that gives the loaner no incentive to buy. She could just as easily turn round and say - actually no, I'm more than happy with the loan agreement, thanks. (because then I don't have to put my hand in my pocket) Then makes things a little more awkward to say, "well in that case I am going to have to terminate the loan".

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
Thank you Magnetic Sparrow, I am an entirely reasonable person, and as you say not a charitable institution. i do like Red-1's suggestion, its the bit about where she says oh no i am happy just loaning thanks-then what?

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Does the original agreement to loan have an end date? Or was it just an open ended, either party can end the agreement whenever they want, arrangement? I think whichever it was, as it is a loan, it is subject to be terminated by either party. Given thats the case, I would call them or email to say that you now definitely need to sell the pony and will be terminating the loan according to the original agreement and giving them first option to purchase.

elsielouise

Visit site
I have an aquaintance who could afford to buy a pony but already had a few of their own horses so loaned one one for their novice child who has done very well. I know they said they didnt have £ to buy but it was just a case of not wanting to own/ take the risk on another themselves at that time.

I am pretty sure if they were told the pony now had to be sold would find he money for it so OP you have not much to lose if you could take the pony back. You say it is hard to home but if it has done well with a child recently it will sure.y have become easier to sell.

If you regularly communicate via email then I can't see anything wrong with that approach but if you normally speak in the phone th give them a ring. It is not unreasonable to sell a pony you own, just use your contractual terms.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I'd go with SpringArising who wrote: ""Hi X, hope you're well! Just a quick message to say that I'll be putting Y up for sale shortly, so I wanted to give you first refusal as I know he's really loved by you and you'll offer him a great home. If you'd like to buy him give me a call so we can work something out. If you'd rather give him back, I'll arrange to have him collected ASAP so I can get the ball rolling in getting him into a new home. Speak soon, Z".
Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...se-help-me-word-a-message#3XEBR9v2JG0z7EpY.99

The pony is the OP's property but the loaner is in the nature of 'a sitting tenant' if we were talking about rented property and has some moral rights if not contractural. The pony is not getting any younger and to be perfectly practical it is a 'wasting asset' that the owner now wishes to realise! She'd be better off with the money in an ISA!:) She is giving the loaner the first refusal on sale. She would be equally within her rights to arrange to collect the pony to sell to a third party without making that or any other offer.

Definitely do it in writing, keep a copy, but also keep it informal, chatty, and friendly.

Maybe "....I've have a couple of people asking about the pony and decided I need to sell...", rather than "....I'll be putting Y up for sale shortly...." which amounts to the same thing but is a bit blunt. At least some of the pony's success must be attributed to the loaner's handling and training, so it is only fair to give credit where credit is due.

On the other hand, people like this have money because they use other people's!

Edited to say that if it was my pony and I had decided to sell, I'd be attending a few shows as a spectator armed with a video camera.....!

Last edited:

Jojoba

Visit site
Hi X
I just wanted to get in touch and say I'm so pleased to see how well Y is doing with Z and what a great team they have made. As you know, I originally wanted to sell Z and wondered if you now find yourself in a position to consider buying him? I would love to see him settled in a forever home with you, so please let me know if you would like to discuss this further. Thanks, --------

If they come back saying no, they'd prefer to keep loaning, just say you're pleased that they are so happy with the loan but you just wanted to make them aware that he will potentially be up for sale at some point soon due to your own circumstances (/desire to find him a permanent home) and if they want to secure him permanently you would be happy to discuss a payment solution that works for them (perhaps installments or something).

?

Northern Hare

Visit site
"Hi X, I'm looking at my options going forward for PonyY - would you be able to pop in for a coffee over the next week or so, so that we can discuss face to face?"

(Assuming you live fairly close!)

That way, you've forewarned her that something's in the offing and you can discuss it f2f rather than getting too formal in writing. It sounds like your preferred option would be to leave him where he is, but for your "friend" to buy him from you. It sounds like they would have a few years use of him so hopefully she would want to purchase him.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I don't think you should be at all annoyed at your pony's loaners. He is an older pony and if he were mine, getting money for him by selling him would be the last thing I would want. Also, if I was the loaner, then I would not want to buy an older pony who although he sounds as though he is doing a cracking job right now, may not have a lot of 'miles' left in him. I would prefer to have him on loan or for a very small purchase price. If I wanted to buy a pony, I would buy one much younger. Horses stay with me for life and I don't sell them on. My main concern would be for the long term future of the pony. I would let it be in your shoes, OP.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
Wagtail the pony has many more years of active life in him, I have four veterans at home, two on Prascend,and keep almost every pony til the end. I am not the type of person to offload problems onto other people but I feel in this instance the loaner has somewhat pulled the wool over my eyes.

Thank you so much to those who have written sample letters, they are really helpful and better than I could come up with. I may decide just to leave things as they are anyhow.