Can anyone recommend a good animal portrait artist?

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
I'm already thinking ahead to my dad's big birthday in November and I'd love to get him something really special. His 15yo dog is the apple of his eye so I was thinking it would be really nice to have a portrait done of her- BUT I've spent hours searching all over the internet looking at loads of artists and I just don't know! So if anyone can recommend a good dog portrait artist I'd be very grateful :)

legaldancer

Visit site
There are several artists on here and there's a whole thread devoted showcasing their work in Picture Gallery.

I do portraits but haven't put any pics up on the forum, but you could pm me if you like and I could show you some examples of my work.

Kat

Visit site
I could but I'd get told off for advertising.

I'd suggest contacting a few that you have found on the internet or going to some country shows and looking round the art/craft stalls and seeing what is on show.

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions so far, I'm going to spend today looking up all of these artists. I'm going to the Royal Welsh in 2 weeks so hopefully I'll be able to see some artists there- I hadn't thought about that so thanks! Legaldancer I'll pm you :)
I just wanted to add that in the picture I'm hoping to use her pose puts her nose at rather an awkward angle- I've noticed from some examples that some artists seem to have difficulty with making those sorts of noses in proportion to the head so the portrait ends up looking slightly odd. There are far too many options, so I'm glad I've started looking now!

Last edited:

Queenbee

Visit site
really glad this thread came up as I have been looking for the perfect style portrait, It isnt that I dont think all these artists are exceptionally tallented, but I had a picture in my minds eye and a style... just had to find the artist that matched that... I have never seen Mary Herberts work before... its perfect for what I want.

Arizahn

Visit site
OH is an artist...pm me for further details:) He can work from photographs and uses a variety of different mediums.

MrSpam

Visit site
Was going to recommend Legaldancer - see she's recommended herself :)

I'm hoping she'll do a fantastic portrait of Hairy Fell. Must send photos.

HihoGinger

Visit site
www.stephaniegreaves.co.uk

Very talented and captures the very essence of her subjects.

Had a portrait of my horse and dog done together last year, so pleased I did as we lost my dog a couple of weeks ago very unexpectedly.

Steph recently did a stunning portrait of my friend's horse, made all the more poignant by the fact that she lost him a few weeks later :(

legaldancer

Visit site
Was going to recommend Legaldancer - see she's recommended herself :)

I'm hoping she'll do a fantastic portrait of Hairy Fell. Must send photos.

Someone has to!

Have just added a couple to the Picture Gallery thread, albeit sideways!

Thanks Sis ;-)

Flicker123

New User
Visit site
Hi, I have just started doing pet portraiture; I've drawn and painted dogs for friends in the past and they have been very happy with the results! I'm very affordable and am currently about to start an art foundation course. Here's a link to my facebook page if you are interested..

https://www.facebook.com/gempetportraits

Last edited: