Can anyone recommend a house sitter?

MissGee

Visit site
As title suggests really. ;)

I'm looking for a responsible, professional and trustworthy person that I can pay to come and house sit for us while we are away. Would be responsible for 6/7 horses and two dogs. :eek:

DW Team

Visit site
For many years we have been using http://www.safeashouses.biz/ and have found them to be amazing. Never had any problems. The sitters have been a choice of two couples and both are wonderful and look after everything the way do. All the sitters are fully checked. Cant recommend highly enough.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
When i went away a few years back I used Animal Aunts. They're nationwide I believe and their house-sitters are thoroughly vetted.

Not cheap, but provided a good service and the dogs were nice & calm on my return; so they obviously felt OK with the woman they sent. The only drawback however is that the house-sitter doesn't actually meet you/the animals/the house until the day you go.............. some sitting services DO put you and the "sitter" together before you go away - which would have set my mind at rest a great deal more. As it was, the sitter only had an hour in which to get the hang of the house and the animals before I went away.

Lists are important: write down lists of EXACTLY what animal has what, and at what time. Don't assume the sitter will automatically "know". Plus you'll need to clearly label everything (yes, a pain I know:(). Plus give exact instructions about what to do in case of emergency with relevant phone no's to hand. Sounds obvious I know, but its never too early to start writing down your lists! :)

DW Team

Visit site
Just to add to my early post.

With Safe as houses you get to meet your sitter and them to vet you and you them. They give you a very comprehensive list of questions and ask you for a disclaimer for god forbid emergency trip or call out of the vet.

We too have used Animal Aunts when we were living in Surrey but I was not comfortable with the sitter. She was not as professional as I thought she should have been. I found that not meeting before the day we left a little difficult as I did not have the time to brief and walk through the sit before we left. I did find that horses beds were not as clean and tidy as I do. The dog seemed to be stressed when we returned.

I did make one very big mistake some years ago in asking a friends daughter (25) to sit. Came home to filthy home cigarette stubs in the house she was told that smoking in the house was not allowed due to household insurance. There were plates of food in may rooms. The smell of cat was over powering and there litter tray looked as though not touched in the 3 days were were away. Horses bed filthy. She was not even there when we got back pore dog was desperate to go out. We were in fact home earlier than planned. Her mother was very embarrassed at her daughter lack of care. We were paying her for a service which was very much lacking. Lesson learnt and now will only use a company.