can anyone recommend an instructer in rotherham/wentworth south yorks

leanne123

Visit site
after my recent fall off alfie who's 18.3hh. im struggling with my confidence on him, i know it was as much my fault as his that the accident happened. but he stood on me and broke my ribs that are ok now but i still have a large lump on my thigh thats still painfull when flexing it.
i've been fine riding my other older horse (who i sold just before my holiday) but alfies not been rode for 6 weeks so i took the bull by the horns and decided that no one else is gonna ride him for me i got back on him on friday. hes quite jittery which is to be expected after so much time off, hes also on a new yard now so hes not settled properly yet.
but i can't seem to relax on him, which isn't helping as although hes 8 years old no one has really rode him as his previous owners had him 3 years and hubby got bored and wife wouldn't ride him as she was scared of his size.
dont get me wrong he dosn't rear up, or buck really just fights the contact and trys to run forwards but hes not very balanced while doing this so i sort of take a hold and sit deep until he settles. it dosn't help because he loses his concentration after a few strides.
i know that im doing wrong in taking hold of him as i want him to move forwards off my leg but im afraid to say hes scared me so at the moment im in a no win situation with him.
the sand school on the new yard is quite small for him as hes not really supple enough to bend and hes throwing his head up to evade contact so im finding it hard to help him carry himself.
this morning i've been doing loads of walk trot transitions on him and only had a couple of tantrums but i did finnish him on a good note.
going back up to yard in a mo to lose school him will let you know later how it goes.
ps hes had his teeth done back done a tack fitted so really i think hes just used to getting his own way by scaring people out of riding him.
im just trying to find an instructer that can help before matters get any worse with him.
thanks sorry its so long to try and explain
leanne

_daisy_

Visit site
i know of a good instructor from Leeds who will travel to your yard. Ill PM you his details if you wish as the last time i recommended him a forum member publicly slated him. I know all instructors arent perfect for everyone but i felt a bit upset by it.

leanne123

Visit site
thanks at the moment any instructer is better than none. hes a lovley horse and i dont want to ruin him as my fears are passing down to him.
been and free schooled him tonight and he was so much more relaxed and he went really well by the end of the session he was clearing 3"6 sheep pens which was great really with the size of the school and how big he is.
at least i now know the problems start when i ride him so im a little closer to solving them.
thanks ebi284

_daisy_

Visit site
ill PM you his details. I think hes a really good instructor. He brought the best out of Ebi before she was retired. Give him a ring and see what he says.
The sooner you get over youre fears the sooner youll move on and get back to normal.
PM on its way